Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 05:01 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Originally Posted by [b]younglisa7
I would have run away before I would have swallowed any of those disgusting health remedies their uncle came up with that would 'gag-a-maggot' ,EEEWWW!
Eww…I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
WoooHoooo,another winning recommendation[#3] from younglisa7!

Yesterday I read~Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross Funny,and had great twists and turns,plus such a true picture of some of the worst elements that can be found in the Church and some who profess to be Christians, including pastors!

Would have been more aptly titled 'Miss Julia's Self- Discovery'!

I'm glad you liked it. I wanted Miss Julia to have more spunk. On a good note there are more books in the series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 09:38 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
I finished reading "Miss Buncle Married". I liked this even more than "Miss Buncle's Book". A really quick and enjoyable read.

I just finished Harlan Coben's The Stranger this morning. I loved the book. There were so many twists and turns. I just kept turning pages because it was so suspenseful and turned out nothing like I thought it would. It was a winner and a must read if you like suspense.

So pleased to hear that the Guernsey Literary Society's author has another book up her sleeve!

I read all of the books in the Miss Julia series. I enjoyed most of them but the last two just drug on and weren't enjoyable for me though I admit that I will continue to be on the look out for more from the series. I hope that the last two were just flukes in an otherwise enjoyable series.

Mayvenne, I'm so glad to hear that your DH's surgery went well and hope that his progress is much quicker than expected.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:27 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times
The Evil Hours: A Biography of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder” by David J. Morris (2015).

Have only just started it, but it's written in such a way as to draw me in, with clarity and well-crafted turns of phrase.
Quote:
“The lesson taught by the war was clear: to be human is to be small, powerless, and subject to the forces of randomness.
Every veteran knows this.
Knowing this is what makes it hard to step onto airplanes. Knowing this is what makes it hard to stand in large crowds. Knowing this is what makes it hard to drive a car.”

Old 03-28-2015, 09:06 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I have started A Little Life and am 3% in - so far, so good! I did have to resort to writing the characters names and quick descriptions ("JB - Haitian, well-loved by Mom and relatives, gay") on an index card to keep track of the four guys whom I have met so far. At this early point, it is reminding me a little of The Art of Fielding (a favorite of mine!)

Old 03-29-2015, 09:00 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Finally finished Elizabeth Gilbert's "Signature of All Things". -- which for some reason took me a very long time to read (500 pages). A daring book, with an unusual story line. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to rate it "very good" or "pretty good". I cant think of any reason to downgrade it, except that it just didn't leave me saying Wow. Maybe it was just too long -- I started out loving it and raving about it, but by the end, I'd forgotten why I liked it.

Now into "Master Butcher's Singing Club" by Louise Erdrich. For some reason, I never seem to like her books very much, although I like her writing and keep going back for more. I think maybe it is because I don't lock onto her characters very well, they seem too alien.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-29-2015 at 09:09 AM..

Old 03-29-2015, 03:21 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
At this early point, it is reminding me a little of The Art of Fielding (a favorite of mine!)
Sigh...

Another one that's been on my to-read list (but unread) for far too long. Soon, soon.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:24 PM

30,499 posts, read 16,206,257 times
since I likes Lisa Wingate's Prayer Box, I decided to read her Dandelion Summer.

So far, (approx 100 pp) I like this one too.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:13 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Well I finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye and I am so glad I read it. I think it's one that would lend itself to a book club- I could use some discussion. What a touching book. I was in tears.. I guess I will be looking for the Queenie book someone else mentioned.
I decided not to start Signature of All Things just yet. I thought the Miss Buncle series sounded perfect ; but I don't think my library has them. They have a bunch by the author though, D E Stevenson, and I just started The House of the Deer. I looked at a few of the books, and honestly this one had the most legible print. Most of the others were old editions, and the print was very light and small. So far so good. I guess when I finish this one, I will tackle the Signature. I am looking forward to it.\

Old 03-29-2015, 06:22 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I finished The Signature of All Things. I definitely didn't love it as much as Ketabcha did. It was too drawn out for me. The botany parts were fine but the philosophical aspect of it bored me, as did the whole part in Tahiti. While I loved and connected so completely with the characters in Stern Men, I didn't in this book. (Well, I did love and connect with Roger, the dog. Woof!) Maybe part of that is because it takes place such a long time ago. I don't know.

I obviously liked it enough to read it all -- although I will admit to skimming bits in the last third of the book -- but it didn't wow me.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:59 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
since I likes Lisa Wingate's Prayer Box, I decided to read her Dandelion Summer.

So far, (approx 100 pp) I like this one too.
Thanks I added that to my TR list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Well I finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye and I am so glad I read it. I think it's one that would lend itself to a book club- I could use some discussion. What a touching book. I was in tears.. I guess I will be looking for the Queenie book someone else mentioned.
I decided not to start Signature of All Things just yet. I thought the Miss Buncle series sounded perfect ; but I don't think my library has them. They have a bunch by the author though, D E Stevenson, and I just started The House of the Deer. I looked at a few of the books, and honestly this one had the most legible print. Most of the others were old editions, and the print was very light and small. So far so good. I guess when I finish this one, I will tackle the Signature. I am looking forward to it.\
I have Miss Buncle out from my library now and it is an old book with small writing. I will have to get my glasses out for that one

I just read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I thought it was a fantastic book and I'm glad some of those Chinese customs have become obsolete.

and
Y by Marjorie Celona which was OK.
This was a book about a baby who was left at the front door of a YMCA. The chapters go back and forth between her life and her real parents life before she was born. The girl, Shannon, has been through a lot throughout her years in foster care although the bad things were downplayed in this book.. She is a confused girl just trying to find her way.

Last night I started the book that I won at Goodreads called Dreams of My Mothers: A Story of Love Transcendent by Joel L.A. Peterson. It is about a boy who was born in Korea in the 1960's. His mother is Korean and his father is an Irish American who left them behind. The story tells of his hardships and then his adoption to a couple from Minnesota. The book is based on true events and goes back and forth between the mother's lives and the boy's life while growing up.

The writing is very good and very descriptive. So far I really like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books