Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 12:19 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I will look for 'Amy and Isabelle', sounds good. I'm new to this thread & came to it to get ideas of books to send my mom. She needs large print & I just recently sent her 'Wild' by Cheryl Strayed; and 'The Greatest Generation' by Tom Brokaw. She tends to favor nonfiction or historical novels & I'm sure I will find some great suggestions in this thread, (I have some catching up to do, wow!)

I just finished reading 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' by Garth Stein - read it twice I loved it so much. It made me realize how much I miss reading & how I want to make time for that again. My bookshelf is full of books that I bought before life came along and interrupted me!

I absoloutly loved that book by Tom Brokaw . amazing since my granddad was in ww2 . I also enjoyed that book by Garth Stein .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 12:25 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I'm reading Olive Kitteridge ATM. I forget who recommended it but I am finding it a bit strange. I keep finding my mind wandering because the story seems so disjointed. I'm not sure I am going to like it but I am plodding on and I hope that it all ties together wonderfully at the end.
Don't quit. All the loose ends will merge into a beautiful quilt.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:25 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,420,691 times
Swimsuit - James Patterson

Old 03-31-2015, 12:31 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
I will look for 'Amy and Isabelle', sounds good. I'm new to this thread & came to it to get ideas of books to send my mom. She needs large print & I just recently sent her 'Wild' by Cheryl Strayed; and 'The Greatest Generation' by Tom Brokaw. She tends to favor nonfiction or historical novels & I'm sure I will find some great suggestions in this thread, (I have some catching up to do, wow!)

I just finished reading 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' by Garth Stein - read it twice I loved it so much. It made me realize how much I miss reading & how I want to make time for that again. My bookshelf is full of books that I bought before life came along and interrupted me!

Welcome You will find a lot of good recommendations here I loved The Art of Racing in the Rain. Have you read A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron? It is also a good one. Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World (Dewey Readmore) by Vicki Myron, Bret Witter is also a sweet story.

For an animal and non fiction book a couple of us have just read The Elephant Whisperer by Lawrence Anthony which is a wonderful story.

How old is your mother? Here are a few what I call "gentle" books that your mother might like.
Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross

Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson

Village School by Miss Read

The Lemon Jelly Cake by Madeline Smith

And one of my favorite historical books for this year so far:
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows

Stick around. You are sure to pick up so many good books to read. Happy reading.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Don't quit. All the loose ends will merge into a beautiful quilt.

Speaking of…one of these days I need to find a quilt club to join. I have always wanted to learn to quilt

Old 03-31-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Speaking of…one of these days I need to find a quilt club to join. I have always wanted to learn to quilt

Do any of you or have any of you ever heard of what they used to call a quilting bee ? these ladies in the community would get together and make a quilt for the young women getting married or some other thing , I think it is amazing what they look like .although I don't think I would have the patience to do one though .

Old 03-31-2015, 01:07 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Welcome You will find a lot of good recommendations here I loved The Art of Racing in the Rain. Have you read A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron? It is also a good one. Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World (Dewey Readmore) by Vicki Myron, Bret Witter is also a sweet story.

For an animal and non fiction book a couple of us have just read The Elephant Whisperer by Lawrence Anthony which is a wonderful story.

How old is your mother? Here are a few what I call "gentle" books that your mother might like.
Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross

Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson

Village School by Miss Read

The Lemon Jelly Cake by Madeline Smith

And one of my favorite historical books for this year so far:
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows

Stick around. You are sure to pick up so many good books to read. Happy reading.
Thx for all these great suggestions - both for my mom & for me! I think we would both enjoy The Elephant Whisperer. She is 86 with moderate dementia; currently living in a memory care wing of assisted living in Colorado. Some days her dementia seems almost non-existent...other days it's off the wall. The last time I was out to visit, we stopped in the "library"; it's really a very nice corner in an upstairs gathering area. The shelves are lined with donated books & residents are on the honor system to borrow and return. I was rather surprised at how popular this tiny library is with residents who are dealing with dementia. My mother must have picked up on my thoughts, lol - she told me she can finish a book & enjoy it, but not remember any of it. So she will read it again & assured me I got my money's worth in sending it out! I've asked her housekeeper to help my mom donate some of her books to the library every so often, when they've been thoroughly enjoyed.

I did read 'A Dog's Purpose' & the sequel, ' A Dog's Journey' --- enjoyed them both.

Also on my long list to get to...most of the classics. I have no idea how or why I never read them in school.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:58 PM

okay Ladies and Gents Garth Stein has a new one out got it today from the library . It is called a sudden light . I will let you all know how it is . I also picked up The circus in winter by cathy day .

Old 03-31-2015, 07:53 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I came across this book on Amazon and, although it sounded fluffy, I was assured by the reviews that it wasn't -- that it was a solid character study. I'm on the third chapter and, even though it's light, the characters are definitely interesting. It's an enjoyable light-ish character study.

Oh. The book is called Little Known Facts by Christine Sneed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/160...f_rd_i=desktop

Old 04-01-2015, 04:43 AM

I just finished my first Goodreads freebie, Dreams of My Mothers: A Story of Love Transcendent by Joel L.A. Peterson.

It is an amazing story of a young scared boy who's life is his mother. It is about a heartbreaking sacrifice of a loving mother who feels she has no other choice then to give her son away for a better life. It is about another mother who is opening her and her family's world to adopting a young Korean/American boy to give him the love he deserves and a chance for a better life. It is a wonderful story about two very strong mothers who gave the same boy all the love they could give a boy to make him a better man.

There were a few parts where the author went a little off track and into too much detail about things that really didn't need to be in the book but it didn't take away from the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Do any of you or have any of you ever heard of what they used to call a quilting bee ? these ladies in the community would get together and make a quilt for the young women getting married or some other thing , I think it is amazing what they look like .although I don't think I would have the patience to do one though .
I think the amish still do that I will get some help from a sewing machine

Quote:
Thx for all these great suggestions - both for my mom & for me! I think we would both enjoy The Elephant Whisperer. She is 86 with moderate dementia; currently living in a memory care wing of assisted living in Colorado. Some days her dementia seems almost non-existent...other days it's off the wall. The last time I was out to visit, we stopped in the "library"; it's really a very nice corner in an upstairs gathering area. The shelves are lined with donated books & residents are on the honor system to borrow and return. I was rather surprised at how popular this tiny library is with residents who are dealing with dementia. My mother must have picked up on my thoughts, lol - she told me she can finish a book & enjoy it, but not remember any of it. So she will read it again & assured me I got my money's worth in sending it out! I've asked her housekeeper to help my mom donate some of her books to the library every so often, when they've been thoroughly enjoyed.

I did read 'A Dog's Purpose' & the sequel, ' A Dog's Journey' --- enjoyed them both.

Also on my long list to get to...most of the classics. I have no idea how or why I never read them in school.
I'm sorry to hear about your mother. On a good note I'm glad she can read and reread the same book and get the same enjoyment.

I love those lending libraries. I use to use them all the time when my DH and I used to RV. Many of the RV parks have them If I lived in a neighborhood I would do that mailbox book swap
On Wisconsin Magazine

I made a goal to read two classics per month this year. It's a tough one for me. Maybe I need more modern classics, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay Ladies and Gents Garth Stein has a new one out got it today from the library . It is called a sudden light . I will let you all know how it is . I also picked up The circus in winter by cathy day .
Can't wait to hear what you think. I didn't read The Circus of Winter but I saw some good reviews for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I came across this book on Amazon and, although it sounded fluffy, I was assured by the reviews that it wasn't -- that it was a solid character study. I'm on the third chapter and, even though it's light, the characters are definitely interesting. It's an enjoyable light-ish character study.

Oh. The book is called Little Known Facts by Christine Sneed.

Little Known Facts: A Novel: Christine Sneed: 9781608199679: Amazon.com: Books
Ooh…another one to check out. Let us know what you think.

I am in the middle of Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives by Thomas French. It is OK and sad. Even though zoos have gotten better and more "animal" friendly it is still a rough life for them even though the book points out that in some cases a zoo is better for them.

On a good note Barnum and Bailey is planning to retire all of their elephants "Starting in 2018, elephants will not be performing in the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus."

I also just started another Book of the Month book, The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick. I have never heard of the story even though it was made into a movie. At this point I have no idea what happened to the protagonist but it is an easy enough read that flows pretty well. It should be a fast one for me.

Last edited by ylisa7; 04-01-2015 at 05:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books