Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-01-2015, 04:51 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
14,785 posts, read 24,028,253 times
Reputation: 27092

Advertisements

boy this is going to be hard for me reading two books at one time but hey it makes life interesting right ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2015, 07:09 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 7,913,982 times
Reputation: 7237
I have had the Garth Stein book on my TBR list for a couple of months. I loved The Art of Racing in the Rain, but for some reason the cover wirte-up of this one didn't grab me. I will most likely give it a try though, but am eager to hear your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2015, 01:55 PM
 
4,712 posts, read 4,392,759 times
Reputation: 8451
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I





I am in the middle of Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives by Thomas French. It is OK and sad. Even though zoos have gotten better and more "animal" friendly it is still a rough life for them even though the book points out that in some cases a zoo is better for them.


On a good note Barnum and Bailey is planning to retire all of their elephants "Starting in 2018, elephants will not be performing in the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus."




I also just started another Book of the Month book, The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick. I have never heard of the story even though it was made into a movie. At this point I have no idea what happened to the protagonist but it is an easy enough read that flows pretty well. It should be a fast one for me.
I read that Zoo Story a while ago. I enjoyed it a lot. He (the author) actually taught my daughter for grad school in writing and she thought very highly of him.

And , I also had never read Silver Linings and really liked it. I first read his newer book. The Good Luck of Right Now which I really loved, and then went onto Silver Linings. ( I also don't go to movies much).
I kept mentioning The Good Luck of Right Now and recommending it because it was just so captivating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2015, 02:39 PM
 
496 posts, read 393,580 times
Reputation: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It's really a collection of short stories that are tied together by Olive, who appears in all of them. Sometimes she's the main character and sometimes she's barely mentioned. Other characters appear in several of the stories as well. It's one of my favorite books because of the complexity of the characters, but, as always, it may not be for everyone.

Another Strout book that I loved is Amy and Isabelle. It's a straightforward novel. What I always remember about that book is that I was reading it in the waiting room at the vet's office and it made my cry. It's a mother/daughter story and they always get me.
Thanks Marlow, I will put Amy and Isabelle on my list. I may read it after OK, or after my next Miss Buncle book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2015, 02:45 PM
 
496 posts, read 393,580 times
Reputation: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It's really a collection of short stories that are tied together by Olive, who appears in all of them. Sometimes she's the main character and sometimes she's barely mentioned. Other characters appear in several of the stories as well. It's one of my favorite books because of the complexity of the characters, but, as always, it may not be for everyone.

Another Strout book that I loved is Amy and Isabelle. It's a straightforward novel. What I always remember about that book is that I was reading it in the waiting room at the vet's office and it made my cry. It's a mother/daughter story and they always get me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Don't quit. All the loose ends will merge into a beautiful quilt.
Thanks Ketabcha. Now that I know it is a series of short stories I am finding it to flow. I've never been a fan of short stories and always seem to not even bother to put them on my TR list. I'm glad I didn't know ahead of time because I wouldn't have bothered with it but now I am enjoying it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2015, 03:26 PM
 
Location: prescott az
6,955 posts, read 12,029,614 times
Reputation: 14239
I just read "Cane and Abe" by Grippando. I didn't like it much. I want to go back to books more like
The House at Riverton and The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton. I have had too much mystery, serial killers, etc and am getting gloomy reading about it. Any authors you know like Kate Morton???? I have read all of hers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2015, 03:34 PM
 
9,238 posts, read 22,849,145 times
Reputation: 22693
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I want to go back to books more like
The House at Riverton and The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton. I have had too much mystery, serial killers, etc and am getting gloomy reading about it. Any authors you know like Kate Morton???? I have read all of hers.
I'd like to know that too. I went to that site that some poster here mentioned, with a map of authors who are supposedly similar, but none of the books by authors near Kate Morton really seemed similar.

I did mark some Sarah Waters books on my wish list, because in reading the descriptions, they did seem similar to Morton, but I wasn't in a hurry to pull the trigger on any of them.
But from what I see, her books take place in England, some in old rambling estate houses, at different periods in history and all have some kind of mystery.

I was thinking of trying this one first:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1594488800/...=IJUQNGM3BYXOO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2015, 08:02 AM
 
16,579 posts, read 20,667,926 times
Reputation: 26860
I have mixed feelings about Stern Men, because I really love the protagonist, Ruth, and the other characters are all interesting. But I'm about halfway through it and feel like I'm still getting introduced to the story. I want something to happen already. That's not entirely fair, because some things have happened, but it does feel like a lot of back story. I want Ruth to get on with whatever it is she's going to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2015, 09:00 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 7,913,982 times
Reputation: 7237
For all you Donna Tartt fans, I bet you will enjoy A Little Life by Hanya Yahagihara as much as I am. Like Tartt's books, it is richly written with really intriguing, well-developed characters. I have the feeling that something big/tragic/surprising/devastating is going to happen or be revealed, but it hasn't happened yet (13% in) and I'm completely content enjoying the slow ramp-up as I get to know the four main characters.

So happy to have found this one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2015, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Canada
7,263 posts, read 9,274,952 times
Reputation: 9833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
For all you Donna Tartt fans, I bet you will enjoy A Little Life by Hanya Yahagihara as much as I am. Like Tartt's books, it is richly written with really intriguing, well-developed characters. I have the feeling that something big/tragic/surprising/devastating is going to happen or be revealed, but it hasn't happened yet (13% in) and I'm completely content enjoying the slow ramp-up as I get to know the four main characters.

So happy to have found this one!
Thank you! I will look that one up.

ETA: OMG! I just looked it up and it does sound amazing.

Last edited by netwit; 04-02-2015 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top