Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 12:19 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I just read "Cane and Abe" by Grippando. I didn't like it much. I want to go back to books more like
The House at Riverton and The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton. I have had too much mystery, serial killers, etc and am getting gloomy reading about it. Any authors you know like Kate Morton???? I have read all of hers.
I have never read any Kate Morton's books but I have a few of hers on my TR list. I checked on a couple of books for you. Have you read?
Mariana by Susanna Kearsley
"The first time Julia Beckett saw Greywethers she was only five, but she knew that it was her house. And now that she’s at last become its owner, she suspects that she was drawn there for a reason.

As if Greywethers were a portal between worlds, she finds herself transported into seventeenth-century England, becoming Mariana, a young woman struggling against danger and treachery, and battling a forbidden love.

Each time Julia travels back, she becomes more enthralled with the past...until she realizes Mariana’s life is threatening to eclipse her own, and she must find a way to lay the past to rest or lose the chance for happiness in her own time."

or

The Lost Hours by Karen White
"When Piper Mills was twelve, she helped her grandfather bury a box that belonged to her grandmother in the backyard. For twelve years, it remained untouched.

Now a near fatal riding accident has shattered Piper’s dreams of Olympic glory. After her grandfather’s death, she inherits the house and all its secrets, including a key to a room that doesn’t exist—or does it? And after her grandmother is sent away to a nursing home, she remembers the box buried in the backyard. In it are torn pages from a scrapbook, a charm necklace—and a newspaper article from 1939 about the body of an infant found floating in the Savannah River. The necklace’s charms tell the story of three friends during the 1930s— each charm added during the three months each friend had the necklace and recorded her life in the scrapbook. Piper always dismissed her grandmother as not having had a story to tell. And now, too late, Piper finds she might have been wrong."

Both of those authors look good

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
OMG,this is so hilarious,I Love It,and I am with you totally,LOL!

I've been having trouble trying to decide what genre I want my next book to be in,so instead I've been playing my PC games[Little Shop Of Treasures,and Hero Of The Kingdom],LOL!

I'm sorry….sometimes I am a bit blunt. I am just so thankful no one in my family is a sports nut. It would drive me crazy, lol. The book I won had an apropos quote in it. I'll look it up for you. I got it:

"Loyalties of professional sports teams mystified him; they were rotating groups of paid professionals, usually with no ties other than their employment contract to the local area. One might as well feel loyalty to and cheer on the construction crew repairing the state highway nearest one's town".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
".....getting gloomy reading about it...."
That's just how I felt about 'The Book of Ruth'. I read that years ago & I still remember being so depressed when I finally finished it. But it was pretty powerful.

Lisa, I picked up The Elephant Whisperer & am sending it to my mom. I thought about reading it first, then sending it...but I looked at the 12+ books on my shelf still waiting & decided to start one of those instead. I'm flipping a coin between starting 'The Orphan Train' or 'Emily and Einstein'.
I am the same…so many books to read and I just got a new freebie from an author. I'd like to get that one read so I can review it

I hope you mom likes TEW.

I added Emily and Einstein to my TR list…thanks. I loved The Orphan Train

Last edited by ylisa7; 04-03-2015 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 03:10 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Zoo Story was a good book to hear what goes on behind the scenes.

I'm in the minority again as I did not really like Silver Linings. I'm sure it has to do with me not liking professional sports and hating the men who turn into boys while watching sports. I call them ra ra's and I cannot stand them but that is me. Since 50% of the book was about those yahoos that I can't stand the book was ruined for me, lol. I will give The Good luck of Right Now a try as long as there is no long drawn out chapters about sports fans and what they do.

Now I am reading The House We Grew Up In and I am enjoying it. I really want to know what made the mother a hoarder and how her mind works.
I haven't read Silver Linings but Younglisa expressed my feelings regarding sports exactly! Oh..... except when it comes to my dear grandsons and soccer. I stlll detest sports but my little boys look so adorable in their soccer gear and are so intent on winning.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:13 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Quote:
OMG,this is so hilarious,I Love It,and I am with you totally,LOL!

I've been having trouble trying to decide what genre I want my next book to be in,so instead I've been playing my PC games[Little Shop Of Treasures,and Hero Of The Kingdom],LOL!
I finished Olive Kitteridge late last evening and didn't want to start anything else that late so pc games for me too. Later this evening I will decide what to read next.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:56 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I just bought the Kindle Daily Deal: An Absent Mind by Eric Rill.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=8794559011

Yup, it's yet another story about someone with Alzheimer's but it was only $1.99, the reviews were good, the author is from Montreal, and the story (or at least the sample) takes place in Montreal, so I felt compelled to buy and read it.

It's a short book (200 or so pages) but it's a busy holiday weekend and a busy work week coming up. Still, I'll see if I can make a dent in it anyway. Because, ya know, I don't have hundreds of other unread books on my "to read" list already.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:42 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
younglisa7,I also love your quote from the book about sports players,and saved it,lol!

You mentioned the book~Mariana by Susanna Kearsley .So far I have only read~ The Rose Garden by her, but as my first 'time-travel' romance, it took me completely by surprise by how captivated I was by the wonderful story of Eva and Daniel. Glad that you reminded me of her,so I can reserve some more of her books.

I just reserved~Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright after reading about the HBO documentary made based on the book.I don't have HBO so I have to wait for the DVD,but I think it would be an interesting read.There are two ahead of me for this one.

Holly-Kay,Hi it's cool to see another 'gamer' here.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:45 AM

I finished The House We Grew Up In last night. This is my first Lisa Jewell book and I really enjoyed it. It is about a mother, father and their four children and it takes you through the different phases in their life. The book does jump around a between years and people. They are a sweet enough family while the children are young but the mother is an eccentric and a hoarder which gets worse over time and the family becomes more dysfunctional. The mother's favorite holiday is Easter. One easter tragedy strikes and it changes everyone forever. It is about each one's journey in life and family secrets.

Her writing reminds me of Liane Moriarty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I haven't read Silver Linings but Younglisa expressed my feelings regarding sports exactly! Oh..... except when it comes to my dear grandsons and soccer. I stlll detest sports but my little boys look so adorable in their soccer gear and are so intent on winning.
Like you I love watching my granddaughter play soccer….well actually I cheer loudly for her and quietly for all the other kids no matter what team they are on. The kids are so darned cute when they play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

Yup, it's yet another story about someone with Alzheimer's but it was only $1.99, the reviews were good, the author is from Montreal, and the story (or at least the sample) takes place in Montreal, so I felt compelled to buy and read it.

It's a short book (200 or so pages) but it's a busy holiday weekend and a busy work week coming up. Still, I'll see if I can make a dent in it anyway. Because, ya know, I don't have hundreds of other unread books on my "to read" list already.
Sounds good

Quote:
younglisa7,I also love your quote from the book about sports players,and saved it,lol!

You mentioned the book~Mariana by Susanna Kearsley .So far I have only read~ The Rose Garden by her, but as my first 'time-travel' romance, it took me completely by surprise by how captivated I was by the wonderful story of Eva and Daniel. Glad that you reminded me of her,so I can reserve some more of her books.

I just reserved~Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright after reading about the HBO documentary made based on the book.I don't have HBO so I have to wait for the DVD,but I think it would be an interesting read.There are two ahead of me for this one.

Holly-Kay,Hi it's cool to see another 'gamer' here.
I will have to try Susanna Kearsley this year

Old 04-04-2015, 06:25 AM

I just started Forbidden Mind (The Forbidden Trilogy #1) by Karpov Kinrade for a buddy read.
"She reads minds.
He controls minds.
Together, they might get out alive."

Old 04-04-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

UGH! I read a dozen or so pages last night and the writing is horrible. I should have paid attention to the sample. I didn't read the sample -- I just saw "Montreal" and bought the book. Feh. I'm not even going to bother to continue with it.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:34 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Dawn,

Since your last book was a dud and you are at a decision making spot, please give A Little Life a try. I neeeeeeed to talk to someone about it!

Old 04-04-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Dawn,

Since your last book was a dud and you are at a decision making spot, please give A Little Life a try. I neeeeeeed to talk to someone about it!
I wish that I could! My library hasn't gotten it yet, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books