Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 06:52 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,280,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post

I just reserved~Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright after reading about the HBO documentary made based on the book.I don't have HBO so I have to wait for the DVD,but I think it would be an interesting read.There are two ahead of me for this one.
I think it is a very good book. I read it when it first came out. It's well written and informative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 10:37 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,352,840 times
The Man Who Couldn’t Stop: OCD and the True Story of a Life Lost in Thought” by David Adam (2014).

Still waiting for the new Norman Doidge book to arrive at library-I'm first in line (on the "placed hold" list) when it does.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:37 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,280,214 times
The Flood by David Sachs.
http://www.amazon.com/Flood-David-Sa...ords=the+flood

This is a free kindle download. I took a chance on it and am glad I did.
I'm at 70% and have yet to find an editing error. Character development is excellent and I now feel like I know these folks. I care about quite a few of them.

The storyline is one that I won't soon forget. I like this author a lot. It's a fast read and strikes me as almost being a nonfiction book because this could actually happen. There is stress and tension abounding but there are also a couple of main characters who are so witty that I find myself laughing out loud at their quips.

I recommend it.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:14 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,306,811 times
Just finishing up the Kindness of Strangers, the 6th book in the Skip Langdon mystery series. I have enjoyed the series so far and it has been a free Kindle download.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:17 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,234,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The Flood by David Sachs.
The Flood - Kindle edition by David Sachs. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

This is a free kindle download. I took a chance on it and am glad I did.
I'm at 70% and have yet to find an editing error. Character development is excellent and I now feel like I know these folks. I care about quite a few of them.

The storyline is one that I won't soon forget. I like this author a lot. It's a fast read and strikes me as almost being a nonfiction book because this could actually happen. There is stress and tension abounding but there are also a couple of main characters who are so witty that I find myself laughing out loud at their quips.

I recommend it.
definitely checking this out! Thanks Ketabcha

Old 04-04-2015, 10:27 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,574,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Just finishing up the Kindness of Strangers, the 6th book in the Skip Langdon mystery series. I have enjoyed the series so far and it has been a free Kindle download.
Oh, yes, I love Julie Smith so much!!!!! She hadn't seemed to be producing anything in a while, so your post inspired me to look her up. Guess in the 2000s her books have been published by Forge, which is a press I know nothing about. She's also been e-publishing. I'm going to hunt up some of her books published in the 2000s now, thanks for reminding me about her!

Old 04-05-2015, 12:26 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,829,991 times
I am reading the most wonderful memoir~Cotswolds Memoir: Discovering a Beautiful Region of Britain on a Quest to Buy a 17th Century Cottage by Diz White and Randall Montgomery. Which was a Kindle Freebie for me.

My father was stationed to the AF base in this area of England when I was a child,and I loved the beauty of it,and long to revisit.

The author brought this area to life for me in this book,and refreshed so many memories,of the villages,cottages,and rural areas. We rented an English cottage with a thatched roof.Her descriptions are wonderful and very often humorous. I absolutely love how she takes the reader along on her and her husband's quest to find their own English cottage to buy.The stories she tells of the people she meets and how they often confide some of their most embarrassing moments to this couple who are strangers to them, makes them feel so welcoming and endearing, that I long to meet such fun people,myself!

This book is really putting me into the mood to get into the books by Susanna Kearsley,and I am ready to reserve~Mariana,The Splendor Falls,The Winter Sea,and The Firebird.
I usually only read books that have a small percentage of 1-2 star reviews,so I'm really happy to see that these books have very good reviews.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:35 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,829,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I think it is a very good book. I read it when it first came out. It's well written and informative.

Oh wow,now I am even more looking forward to reading it,thanks!

Old 04-05-2015, 05:36 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,342,854 times
I read [i]You[i] and boy was it creepy thinking about how easy it is to get info on people. I agree with an earlier poster who said it was drawn out. It was that.

I have not yet started anything else.

Netwit, I am glad you finished The Giver Quartet.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:26 AM

50,212 posts, read 63,694,866 times
I'm reading, The Signature of All Things, because of all the recommendations. I'm enjoying it so far, at only 1/3 through. As others have said, I find myself skimming through a bit of the technical stuff.
Today, my husband asked me what I was reading. I told him a book about a spinster who dedicates herself to the study of moss.....Let's just say, he probably won't be reading it. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books