Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 08:01 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I finished The House We Grew Up In last night. This is my first Lisa Jewell book and I really enjoyed it. It is about a mother, father and their four children and it takes you through the different phases in their life. The book does jump around a between years and people. They are a sweet enough family while the children are young but the mother is an eccentric and a hoarder which gets worse over time and the family becomes more dysfunctional. The mother's favorite holiday is Easter. One easter tragedy strikes and it changes everyone forever. It is about each one's journey in life and family secrets.)

This sounds like a book my sister & I would both enjoy. For years, books have been a source of great long distance discussions between us. She has a kindle & from the little bit of this thread I've had a chance to read, it seems like many of you do? Maybe I should look into getting one. I always thought I would miss the tactile comfort of holding a book...plus my fantasy of a great home library would evaporate!

Just from the few pages of this thread I've read so far, I've added 18 books to my own list and more than enough for my mom. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 08:06 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I finished Stern Men and it just got better and better as it went along. I'm glad I stuck with it and I'll definitely read more of Elizabeth Gilbert's writing.

I picked up Joyland by Stephen King but don't know if I'll keep going. Depends on how dark it gets. I have The Midwife by Jennifer Worth waiting for me at the library so I may skip to that.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:39 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I finished Stern Men and it just got better and better as it went along.
Feet on you!

Old 04-06-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Feet on you!
OK, you made me laugh. What does that mean?

Oh and a friend is going to lend me Eat, Pray, Love so I should have that soon.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
OK, you made me laugh. What does that mean?
Do you remember when the neighbor lady (I don't remember her name) would say it to her husband, when she put her feet on his legs? And then she said it to Ruth one time?

I think that it was her way of saying "I love you."

I'm not sure why it stuck with me. I just found it so endearing.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Do you remember when the neighbor lady (I don't remember her name) would say it to her husband, when she put her feet on his legs? And then she said it to Ruth one time?

I think that it was her way of saying "I love you."

I'm not sure why it stuck with me. I just found it so endearing.
I do remember that! I knew I'd heard it recently, but couldn't remember where. Doh! Thanks for the reminder.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:22 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
Now reading Amy and Isabelle by Elizabeth Strout. I loved Olive Kitteridge, and people here had recommended the other Strout book.

So far, I can say that although it's well written, it's painfully depressing. The setting, the characters, their lives. I keep thinking if I were in this story, I'd run away or kill myself.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:21 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Looks like it's freebie kindle day around here. I just finished Forbidden Mind which was another kindle freebie. I didn't think it was very good. It was a YA but a very simple one. Sad because I thought the concept was good. Oh well…on to the next book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I think it is a very good book. I read it when it first came out. It's well written and informative.
You were referring to Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright. I will give that a try since it was mentioned twoce

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
The Man Who Couldn’t Stop: OCD and the True Story of a Life Lost in Thought” by David Adam (2014).
That sounds good…thanks.

Quote:
The Flood by David Sachs.
The Flood - Kindle edition by David Sachs. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

This is a free kindle download. I took a chance on it and am glad I did.
I'm at 70% and have yet to find an editing error. Character development is excellent and I now feel like I know these folks. I care about quite a few of them.

The storyline is one that I won't soon forget. I like this author a lot. It's a fast read and strikes me as almost being a nonfiction book because this could actually happen. There is stress and tension abounding but there are also a couple of main characters who are so witty that I find myself laughing out loud at their quips.

I recommend it.
Got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Just finishing up the Kindness of Strangers, the 6th book in the Skip Langdon mystery series. I have enjoyed the series so far and it has been a free Kindle download.
Got that one too Does that series have to be read in order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm reading, The Signature of All Things, because of all the recommendations. I'm enjoying it so far, at only 1/3 through. As others have said, I find myself skimming through a bit of the technical stuff.
Today, my husband asked me what I was reading. I told him a book about a spinster who dedicates herself to the study of moss.....Let's just say, he probably won't be reading it. LOL
Whenever Mike asks me how my book is I ask him "are you sure you really want to know"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
This sounds like a book my sister & I would both enjoy. For years, books have been a source of great long distance discussions between us. She has a kindle & from the little bit of this thread I've had a chance to read, it seems like many of you do? Maybe I should look into getting one. I always thought I would miss the tactile comfort of holding a book...plus my fantasy of a great home library would evaporate!

Just from the few pages of this thread I've read so far, I've added 18 books to my own list and more than enough for my mom. Thanks everyone!
That is wonderful that you and your sister enjoy books together.

I love real paper books also. I only got interested in a Kindle when I started checking out Bob's thread each day and I was upset at all the free books I couldn't get without a kindle, lol.

This post is two days old but Bob posts freebies for us daily which is super nice of him to do.
//www.city-data.com/forum/deals...loads-4-a.html

I have yet to "buy" a book with my kindle but many do. I got the most basic one and it suits me fine. I added it to my cart on Amazon and checked it each day to see the best price. I bought it when it hit $55.00.

I may try to borrow books on my kindle if I can figure out how to do that

Quote:
I finished Stern Men and it just got better and better as it went along. I'm glad I stuck with it and I'll definitely read more of Elizabeth Gilbert's writing.

I picked up Joyland by Stephen King but don't know if I'll keep going. Depends on how dark it gets. I have The Midwife by Jennifer Worth waiting for me at the library so I may skip to that.
I read Joyland and thought it was pretty good and not dark.

Between those two…I loved The Midwife. Wonderful book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Now reading Amy and Isabelle by Elizabeth Strout. I loved Olive Kitteridge, and people here had recommended the other Strout book.

So far, I can say that although it's well written, it's painfully depressing. The setting, the characters, their lives. I keep thinking if I were in this story, I'd run away or kill myself.

It sounds interesting, keep us posted.

It's almost time to go back to TN so I have to wrap up my April buddy reads before Wednesday. My library back home is revamping their inter library loan system and it will be down for 6 weeks

This morning I started The Good Girl by Mary Kubica.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:45 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara.

OMG!

I'm only at 22% into the book but whenever I put it down it calls to me and refuses to shut up until I pick it up again. So, I take it with me to the bathroom. I know that is TMI but you get the picture.

I don't devote my reading life to only literary books. Although, I must say this book falls into that genre. Before starting this one I read a zombie apocalypse book. I read the luscious books and in between I read odd genres like dystopian fiction or end-of-the-world stuff or nonfiction. Well, that word combination "dystopian fiction" is not quite right. If it is dystopian then it is always fiction. So it's the opposite of an oxymoron, right? Hmmm.

Oh back to A little life. It reminds me a lot of A Secret History with very interesting characters and, wow, do we get to know them. The writing is seriously beautiful and the story of these four young men and their friends is so completely woven together that I won't need reed placemats for a decade.

Please read it so we can all discuss it. Yes, my request is self-serving.

Dawn, you are going to love this one. Listen to Pinetreelover and pick it up and place it in your grubby mitts immediately. You gotta' read this.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara.

OMG!

I'm only at 22% into the book but whenever I put it down it calls to me and refuses to shut up until I pick it up again. So, I take it with me to the bathroom. I know that is TMI but you get the picture.

I don't devote my reading life to only literary books. Although, I must say this book falls into that genre. Before starting this one I read a zombie apocalypse book. I read the luscious books and in between I read odd genres like dystopian fiction or end-of-the-world stuff or nonfiction. Well, that word combination "dystopian fiction" is not quite right. If it is dystopian then it is always fiction. So it's the opposite of an oxymoron, right? Hmmm.

Oh back to A little life. It reminds me a lot of A Secret History with very interesting characters and, wow, do we get to know them. The writing is seriously beautiful and the story of these four young men and their friends is so completely woven together that I won't need reed placemats for a decade.

Please read it so we can all discuss it. Yes, my request is self-serving.

Dawn, you are going to love this one. Listen to Pinetreelover and pick it up and place it in your grubby mitts immediately. You gotta' read this.
I have full trust in both you and Pinetreelover. I will definitely get it ASAP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books