Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 03:39 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,026,845 times

Advertisements

Ketabcha, what a great recommendation for a book! You should write the back cover blurbs. Do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 03:44 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,273,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Ketabcha, what a great recommendation for a book! You should write the back cover blurbs. Do you?
Thank you, bridgerider. Nope, I've never done that but it would be fun, wouldn't it?

Old 04-07-2015, 12:47 PM

496 posts, read 393,026 times
Quote:
This sounds like a book my sister & I would both enjoy. For years, books have been a source of great long distance discussions between us. She has a kindle & from the little bit of this thread I've had a chance to read, it seems like many of you do? Maybe I should look into getting one. I always thought I would miss the tactile comfort of holding a book...plus my fantasy of a great home library would evaporate!

Just from the few pages of this thread I've read so far, I've added 18 books to my own list and more than enough for my mom. Thanks everyone!
Bridge, as soon as I saw a Kindle on Amazon I knew I had to have one. I was tired of hauling stacks of books on vacation with me and I just hated the feeling of finishing a fabulous book and not having another one to start. My Kindle has solved the issues. I have a great home library but I now only have books that are, in my opinion, necessary to have in hardback. I gave away all my paper back novels. My library shelves are still well stocked with the classics and other hardbacks. Having a Kindle just increases your love of reading and not having to handle a very thick book is wonderful! Try it, you'll like it!

Old 04-07-2015, 02:04 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,341,345 times
Quote:
She has a kindle & from the little bit of this thread I've had a chance to read, it seems like many of you do? Maybe I should look into getting one. I always thought I would miss the tactile comfort of holding a book...plus my fantasy of a great home library would evaporate!
I love my Kindle. If you are able to, go to a store that sells the Kindles (I know Radio Shack has them) and see what you think. I had a Kindle Fire (which I gave to a friend) and then my sister gave me her old basic Kindle. I love that little Kindle more than a tablet. I get library books on mine all the time too so when someone recommends a book and I'm just not sure about it, I'll get it from the library if they have it. I still have probably a couple hundred books on my shelves too, although I have gotten rid of A LOT and will continue to do so.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,953,312 times
While on Amazon, reading the blurb about Aquarium by David Vann (which is now on my "to read" list), I saw this:

"David Vann’s dazzling debut Legend of a Suicide was reviewed in over a 150 major global publications, won 11 prizes worldwide, was on 40 “best books of the year” lists, and established its author as a literary master."

So, yeah, I'm reading Legend of a Suicide by David Vann. It's six stories, all with the same "characters" (I put that in quotes because it's autobiographical), but one of the stories is a novella and spans 75% of the book. So, to me, it's one book.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,911,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara.

OMG!

I'm only at 22% into the book but whenever I put it down it calls to me and refuses to shut up until I pick it up again. So, I take it with me to the bathroom. I know that is TMI but you get the picture.

I don't devote my reading life to only literary books. Although, I must say this book falls into that genre. Before starting this one I read a zombie apocalypse book. I read the luscious books and in between I read odd genres like dystopian fiction or end-of-the-world stuff or nonfiction. Well, that word combination "dystopian fiction" is not quite right. If it is dystopian then it is always fiction. So it's the opposite of an oxymoron, right? Hmmm.

Oh back to A little life. It reminds me a lot of A Secret History with very interesting characters and, wow, do we get to know them. The writing is seriously beautiful and the story of these four young men and their friends is so completely woven together that I won't need reed placemats for a decade.

Please read it so we can all discuss it. Yes, my request is self-serving.

Dawn, you are going to love this one. Listen to Pinetreelover and pick it up and place it in your grubby mitts immediately. You gotta' read this.
Thank you so much, Ketabcha, for reading this along with me! I'm so glad that I have someone to discuss and process it with. The last book that got into my soul like this was Crossing to Safety though there are no comparisons at all with A Little Life, just another book that I really felt a connection with.

Now - back to reading!

Old 04-07-2015, 09:22 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,953,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Thank you so much, Ketabcha, for reading this along with me! I'm so glad that I have someone to discuss and process it with. The last book that got into my soul like this was Crossing to Safety though there are no comparisons at all with A Little Life, just another book that I really felt a connection with.

Now - back to reading!
Oh my god, you did NOT just do that to me. You did NOT mention my most favorite book of EVER -- Crossing to Safety -- so that I could be even more upset that my library has not yet gotten A Little Life.

Actually, it's a good thing. I have too much work to do, among other things. I'm not good at falling into book love when I'm so busy and I really WANT to love A Little Life. So maybe it's circumstance and kismet and serendipity that my library didn't get it yet. Sure, I could buy it, but I don't think we're meant to be together just yet.

I'm thrilled, though, at how much you're loving it. That bodes so well for me. Keep enjoying!

Old 04-07-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Bridge, as soon as I saw a Kindle on Amazon I knew I had to have one. I was tired of hauling stacks of books on vacation with me and I just hated the feeling of finishing a fabulous book and not having another one to start. My Kindle has solved the issues. I have a great home library but I now only have books that are, in my opinion, necessary to have in hardback. I gave away all my paper back novels. My library shelves are still well stocked with the classics and other hardbacks. Having a Kindle just increases your love of reading and not having to handle a very thick book is wonderful! Try it, you'll like it!

You sold me! I'm going to get one this weekend!!

Old 04-07-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I love my Kindle. If you are able to, go to a store that sells the Kindles (I know Radio Shack has them) and see what you think. I had a Kindle Fire (which I gave to a friend) and then my sister gave me her old basic Kindle. I love that little Kindle more than a tablet. I get library books on mine all the time too so when someone recommends a book and I'm just not sure about it, I'll get it from the library if they have it. I still have probably a couple hundred books on my shelves too, although I have gotten rid of A LOT and will continue to do so.
Didn't realize there was more than one model, thx for the tip!

Old 04-08-2015, 05:47 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,338,292 times
I just finished a buddy read, The Good Girl, which I enjoyed. I found this to be an easy read that kept my interest. Even though the characters had many flaws I found them likable except for the judge. Good surprise ending. I got most of it but not all of it early on.

I have 20 more pages of Chocolat which is a group read. It is basically a face off in a small French town between a chocolatier and a priest. The chocolatier is about being happy…the priest has too much hatred for others and tries to persuade his congregation against outsiders.

I also just started Second Honeymoon by James Patterson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books