Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 06:02 AM

759 posts, read 3,138,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post

And , I also had never read Silver Linings and really liked it. I first read his newer book. The Good Luck of Right Now which I really loved, and then went onto Silver Linings. ( I also don't go to movies much).
I kept mentioning The Good Luck of Right Now and recommending it because it was just so captivating.
I loved both of those Matthew Quick books. SLP as a movie was terrible--it almost had no relation to the book. I listened to both of them on audio--great narrator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 06:43 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,826,592 times
I am still slowly getting through~Cotswolds Memoir: Discovering a Beautiful Region of Britain on a Quest to Buy a 17th Century Cottage by Diz White and Randall Montgomery. Lots going on lately,and I have been falling asleep early,so I am savoring every page when I do pick it up.I am such an Anglophile and this book is such a treat.I just love all the descriptions of the foods[I'm a Foodie, too!] they've been enjoying on their trips back to England, the descriptions of the scenery of all the places in the Cotswolds they visit,the people they meet and the descriptions of the homes they check out,even the potential renovations they might need!
At least they are no where near the "ruins" that I always see in Italy on House Hunters International! There are a few b & w photos as well.This book has become a 'treasure' for me!

All 4 of my reserved Susanna Kearsley titles have come in~Mariana,The Splendor Falls,The Winter Sea,and The Firebird. Will most likely pick them up today.I am itching to read them after the books about the Cotswolds,though they are set in Scotland and not England.England and Tucson,AZ were my favorite places that my dad was stationed in his 26 years in the Air Force,and I love books that can take me 'across the pond',even if they are fiction! The nonfiction memoir about the Cotswolds is doing that,in a HUGE way! I really feel as though I am traveling with them,and sharing all their experiences.

I will start with Mariana.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:43 AM

6,465 posts, read 8,156,887 times
So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson.

Justine Sacco is one of the persons interviewed.

Moderator cut: This was a racist twitter post by Justine Sacco, not appropriate here

Last edited by katzenfreund; 04-08-2015 at 05:18 PM..

Old 04-08-2015, 12:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,947,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson.

Justine Sacco is one of the persons interviewed.
I just read the Amazon blurb -- that sounds like a fascinating book. I might have to stop posting on Facebook, just in case.

It's now on my "to read" list.

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2015, 06:47 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,772,693 times
I'd never read Elmore Leonard before. I picked up "The Hot Kid" -- very entertaining writer.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:29 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,026,331 times
Has anyone read the Griffin and Sabine trilogy by Nick Bantock? I just came across his first in the series as I started my yearly clutter dig out. I read it several years ago & bought the book because it was quirky with nice artwork. The book has postcards within that detail a long distance relationship between the two who have yet to meet. I'm considering continuing onto book two...but obviously if #1 would have grabbed me more I'd have read the second by now. If anyone has a yay or nay, thx.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:30 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,947,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Has anyone read the Griffin and Sabine trilogy by Nick Bantock? I just came across his first in the series as I started my yearly clutter dig out. I read it several years ago & bought the book because it was quirky with nice artwork. The book has postcards within that detail a long distance relationship between the two who have yet to meet. I'm considering continuing onto book two...but obviously if #1 would have grabbed me more I'd have read the second by now. If anyone has a yay or nay, thx.
Oh! I remember those from a long time ago. I don't remember the story at all -- I didn't even remember them being about a long-distance relationship -- but I do remember how pretty the books were and that you had to take the letters out of actual envelopes to read them. They were lovely but, yeah, more about quirkiness and art than about the story.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:29 PM

414 posts, read 909,487 times
Just started A Little Life, after driving Librarian crazy since it was "available" but she couldn't locate it! I guess the library hadn't shelved it yet...I might be the first borrower.
Anyway, looking forward to its being as good as Pinetreelover and others say.

I have read so many good books lately, thanks to this forum. Thank you all!!!

Old 04-09-2015, 02:30 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,910,034 times
For anyone who works outside the home and has decided to read A Little Life - you will need this:

Dear Employer,

Please excuse ________________________ from work. She is reading a very important, beautiful, gut-wrenching book and will be at home reading until she completes it. Following completion of the novel, she may need a few more days at home to process it and shake the characters out of her head.

Thank you for understanding,
Pinetree

Old 04-09-2015, 02:32 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,910,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I remember those and came across them not too long ago for a re-read! The first is the best, but the second and third flesh out the story. After completing them I'm not sure that I really understood if there was a romance or a drift into mental illness, but they were captivating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books