Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 02:50 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
For anyone who works outside the home and has decided to read A Little Life - you will need this:

Dear Employer,

Please excuse ________________________ from work. She is reading a very important, beautiful, gut-wrenching book and will be at home reading until she completes it. Following completion of the novel, she may need a few more days at home to process it and shake the characters out of her head.

Thank you for understanding,
Pinetree
Hahaha! Did you finish it? Ketabcha sent me email with, basically, "reading instructions" for this one when I finally get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 02:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hahaha! Did you finish it? Ketabcha sent me email with, basically, "reading instructions" for this one when I finally get it.
I haven't finished it yet. My pesky job keeps getting in the way but I'm looking forward to a solid night of reading tonight. I won't finish for a few days, most likely. I have never read a book this "hard".

Old 04-09-2015, 02:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
I haven't finished it yet. My pesky job keeps getting in the way but I'm looking forward to a solid night of reading tonight. I won't finish for a few days, most likely. I have never read a book this "hard".
I told K that, even when I get the book, work has been busy and will keep INTERRUPTING my reading, so I need to be careful with my timing. If too much time goes by when I just can't get to the book at all, I lose the momentum and just... STOP. When work gets crazy, I end up working 12 to 14 hours per day, and don't feel like doing anything afterwards. Certainly nothing that requires reading more (since I edit for a living). I don't want that to happen with this book after all you two have told me about how fabulous it is.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:46 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,099 times
Quote:
For anyone who works outside the home and has decided to read A Little Life - you will need this:

Dear Employer,

Please excuse ________________________ from work. She is reading a very important, beautiful, gut-wrenching book and will be at home reading until she completes it. Following completion of the novel, she may need a few more days at home to process it and shake the characters out of her head.

Thank you for understanding,
Pinetree
Ha! I love it - these are the kind of recommendations that convince me!

Old 04-09-2015, 09:03 PM

414 posts, read 911,190 times
Up to page 65 in A Little Life. The word that comes to mind is "loquacious"; maybe that's what Pinetreelover meant by "hard"? It was difficult to keep the characters straight in the beginning but I might have them down pat now.
Hopefully it will hold my attention. I guess I like action and conversation in my reading and so far this has been mostly descriptive.
Fingers crossed!

Old 04-10-2015, 04:30 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I am just starting Deeper Than The Dead by Tami Hoag.

I am also reading a book that was given to me by the author. It is a batch of short stories called Einstein's Beach House Stories by Jacob M Appel.
"A couple adopt a depressed hedgehog; a mother is seduced by the father of her daughter's imaginary friend; a man kidnap's his ex-wife's pet turtle. In eight tragicomic stories, Einstein's Beach House features ordinary men and women rising to life's extraordinary challenges."

Old 04-10-2015, 08:20 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Up to page 65 in A Little Life. The word that comes to mind is "loquacious"; maybe that's what Pinetreelover meant by "hard"? It was difficult to keep the characters straight in the beginning but I might have them down pat now.
Hopefully it will hold my attention. I guess I like action and conversation in my reading and so far this has been mostly descriptive.
Fingers crossed!
I can tell you that it is not what Pinetreelover was referring to.
It is going to become very, very "hard" in a while.

It took me a while to keep the characters straight in my mind during maybe the first quarter of the book. You will soon know all of them very well. She takes her time with the backstories and that is a good thing. Believe me. The book is extremely descriptive as you mentioned. That is one of the things I loved about it. It will remain descriptive but I think it will hold your interest because the other shoe is going to drop and the drop will be "hard." Take care to protect your toes. Please don't give up on it. It's a wonderful book and I am finally calming down after having read it.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
After all the glowing reviews, I have certainly put A Little Life on my TBR list. Sadly our library doesn't have it right now, but I'll work on that.

I finished Joyland by Stephen King last night and it was an easy but enjoyable read. It's a murder mystery with a supernatural twist wrapped up in a coming-of-age story. If you've given up on SK because his stuff was too dark or gruesome, this book would be a good one with which to rekindle the relationship.

On to The Midwife by Jennifer Worth.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:50 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
After all the glowing reviews, I have certainly put A Little Life on my TBR list. Sadly our library doesn't have it right now, but I'll work on that.

I finished Joyland by Stephen King last night and it was an easy but enjoyable read. It's a murder mystery with a supernatural twist wrapped up in a coming-of-age story. If you've given up on SK because his stuff was too dark or gruesome, this book would be a good one with which to rekindle the relationship.

On to The Midwife by Jennifer Worth.
Ah, glad you enjoyed Joyland. I think I will read it now. Something easy is what I need and I love King.
I'll also be interested in what you think of The Midwife.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:47 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Fingers crossed!
You know, I haven't yet managed to make it through the sample - I found it very chatty and kept going back to the beginning because I was confused as to who was who. I downloaded the sample of the writer's other book and found that quite interesting. I may read that one before trying A Little Life again. I can't remember the title right now, but it is the only other one she's written. I have the feeling it is a page-turner for those of you who have finished and loved A Little Life and are wondering what to read next.

It might be me at this time too. Life has become busy (among other things, there was a field fire that threatened my parents' farm yesterday!!!) and I might be too preoccupied for a book like A Little Life at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books