Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 11:07 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,912,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
You know, I haven't yet managed to make it through the sample - I found it very chatty and kept going back to the beginning because I was confused as to who was who. I downloaded the sample of the writer's other book and found that quite interesting. I may read that one before trying A Little Life again. I can't remember the title right now, but it is the only other one she's written. I have the feeling it is a page-turner for those of you who have finished and loved A Little Life and are wondering what to read next.

It might be me at this time too. Life has become busy (among other things, there was a field fire that threatened my parents' farm yesterday!!!) and I might be too preoccupied for a book like A Little Life at this time.
When I first started A Little Life I had to write the four main characters' names on an index card with little descriptions about who they were because they were so muddled in my mind. I am still using that card as a bookmark but now feel like I know these guys better than I know some "real" people in my life so it seems funny that I couldn't keep them straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 12:57 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,276,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

On to The Midwife by Jennifer Worth.
I just remembered that I have read Jenny's book. What a total delight and I didn't read it until I fell in love with "Call the Midwife" on PBS. Vanessa Redgrave is the perfect voice for Jenny.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:59 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,111,460 times
Can't wait to read A Little Life.

I loved My Sunshine Away:

My Sunshine Away: M.O. Walsh: 9780399169526: Amazon.com: Books

So I knew I would have trouble getting into the next book(s) since it was going to be a tough act to follow. Tried Joyce Carol Oates book of short stories. Some were okay, then it became tedious. Tried Hausfrau, Unbecoming, Dear Thief, Silent Sister. Gave up on all. Also tried a nonfiction book: Saturday Night Widows. Anyone read it? I thought I would like it, but then realized it was just a book deal (author quit her job as a journalist to write this book---after she was remarried for a couple of years----so it seemed to me that she wouldn't have needed a support group for widows by that time) and not a real organic gathering of women to support each other.

But finally---a book I am enjoying: Charlie and Whiskey---about identical twin brothers with different personalities:

http://www.amazon.com/Whiskey-Charli...ie+and+whiskey

The jealousy and family dynamics are very interesting, and very real.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:35 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,956,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

But finally---a book I am enjoying: Charlie and Whiskey---about identical twin brothers with different personalities:

http://www.amazon.com/Whiskey-Charli...ie+and+whiskey

The jealousy and family dynamics are very interesting, and very real.
Oooh, that sounds good. I'm putting it on my ever-growing "to read" list.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:47 PM

And Dawn, guess what I just ordered from the library? I figured if you love it so much, it behooves me to try it. No waiting list for it, so may get it next week! Just don't know if I will have the nerve to admit I don't like it if that's the case, but I will cross that bridge when and if I come to it (hopefully not----you and the critics rave over it).

Old 04-10-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
And Dawn, guess what I just ordered from the library? I figured if you love it so much, it behooves me to try it. No waiting list for it, so may get it next week! Just don't know if I will have the nerve to admit I don't like it if that's the case, but I will cross that bridge when and if I come to it (hopefully not----you and the critics rave over it).
I have a terrible memory.

Stern Men by Elizabeth Gilbert? (I hope so.)

Old 04-10-2015, 07:20 PM

So, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I downloaded the sample of A Little Life. I'm at 92% of the sample -- which will get me near (or to the end of) Chapter 2 of the first part -- and I'm not yet hooked. But, according to Pinetreelover and Ketabcha, I *will* get hooked, and I trust them.

So... splurge and buy it ($11.99 USD) or wait until my library gets it (which could be tomorrow, for all I know... but I might have to wait since I don't know how many copies they're getting or how many other people have their names on the wait list).

The thing is, once I finish the sample, I'm not going to want to wait to see how the library thing pans out. Because what will I read for the rest of the night? And tomorrow morning? And until the library *does* get it, which might *not* be tomorrow.

Such a first-world problem...

ETA (28 minutes later): Never mind. I just bought it.
ETA2 (a few minutes after that): It turns out the sample takes you nowhere near the end of Chapter 2. Maybe not even halfway.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 04-10-2015 at 08:04 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I have a terrible memory.

Stern Men by Elizabeth Gilbert? (I hope so.)
Nope, further back, but I believe you did mention it fairly recently: Crossing to Safety! That IS one of your all-time favorites, correct? Can't turn back now---it's already on order and no one else has requested, so it's mine in a couple of days!

Old 04-10-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Nope, further back, but I believe you did mention it fairly recently: Crossing to Safety! That IS one of your all-time favorites, correct? Can't turn back now---it's already on order and no one else has requested, so it's mine in a couple of days!
Oh my god, yes! Yes, yes, YES!!!! A million times YES!

Enjoy!!!!!

Old 04-10-2015, 08:16 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,571,317 times
I just finished Butterflies in November, and I LOVE love luuuurved it!!!!

It was translated from Icelandic, and is a kind of magical journey story. I guess the theme was something along the lines of "everything you do, and everything that happens, affects every other aspect of life. Everything is interconnected." Hard to describe, but so beautiful to read!

I'm not sure which ones of you would like this one . . . hmmm - if you like lit-ri-cha, if you like women's fiction, if you like subtle humor, if you like stories about children . . .

Anyway, I hope some of you try it, it was SO wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books