Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 09:02 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,349,977 times

Advertisements

Book I'd been waiting for from library finally (been waiting weeks & months) came in, picked it up today.
"The Brain’s Way of Healing: Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity”
by Norman Doidge. M.D. (2015).

My aunt read & enjoyed it already, now I can catch up with her and see which parts of it make sense to me.
Though it's pretty long (365 pgs.), so I'll need the full 14 days allotted (before the date it's due back to lib.) to get through it (and take notes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 09:53 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,910,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Nope, further back, but I believe you did mention it fairly recently: Crossing to Safety! That IS one of your all-time favorites, correct? Can't turn back now---it's already on order and no one else has requested, so it's mine in a couple of days!
Mine, too!!!! Thanks to Dawn!

Old 04-10-2015, 09:54 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,910,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
So, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I downloaded the sample of A Little Life. I'm at 92% of the sample -- which will get me near (or to the end of) Chapter 2 of the first part -- and I'm not yet hooked. But, according to Pinetreelover and Ketabcha, I *will* get hooked, and I trust them.

So... splurge and buy it ($11.99 USD) or wait until my library gets it (which could be tomorrow, for all I know... but I might have to wait since I don't know how many copies they're getting or how many other people have their names on the wait list).

The thing is, once I finish the sample, I'm not going to want to wait to see how the library thing pans out. Because what will I read for the rest of the night? And tomorrow morning? And until the library *does* get it, which might *not* be tomorrow.

Such a first-world problem...

ETA (28 minutes later): Never mind. I just bought it.
ETA2 (a few minutes after that): It turns out the sample takes you nowhere near the end of Chapter 2. Maybe not even halfway.
Ketabcha and I are here when you need us....

Old 04-11-2015, 12:50 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,269,304 times
I'm having trouble moving on from A Little Life. Settling in with another book has been difficult. Finally I slid into Before Women Had Wings by Dorothy B. Schweitzer. It just might be a fit for what I need right now. Hard to tell at this point since I am only 3% into the book but it does have possibilities.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:07 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,026,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

But finally---a book I am enjoying: Charlie and Whiskey---about identical twin brothers with different personalities:

Amazon.com: Whiskey and Charlie (9781492607861): Annabel Smith: Books

The jealousy and family dynamics are very interesting, and very real.

Ooh that sounds good. Added it to the list. I feel like Rip VanWinkle. All these great reads while I've been sleeping!

Old 04-11-2015, 05:40 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,947,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Ketabcha and I are here when you need us....
Hahaha! (Or, no. I shouldn't laugh, right?)

Okay, since I'll be gone for an extended period of time reading A Little Life, I'll leave you with my "to read" list:

The Door (by Magda Szabo)
Etta and Otto and Russell and James
You
We Are Not Ourselves (by Matthew Thomas)
The Undertaker's Daughter (by Kate Mayfield)
Finding Jake (by Bryan Reardon)
The Bookseller (by Cynthia Swanson)
Inside the O'Briens (by Lisa Genova)
The Children's Crusade (by Ann Packer)
Aquarium (by David Vann)
So You've Been Publicly Shamed
Charlie & Whiskey
The Truth According to Us (by the Guernsey gal)
The Daylight Marriage (by Heidi Pitlor)

See ya!

Old 04-11-2015, 07:35 PM

You KNOW what I'm reading!

I'm at 30% (page 223).
I'm enjoying it.
One thing that I found to be far-fetched: the adoption.
Ketabcha -- I saw your "Afghani" error. I found an earlier error too -- grammatical -- but... whatever.
I find myself thinking about my own friendships when reading about theirs. The shoelace tying reminded me of a few nice moments.

Okay! Back to the book!

Old 04-11-2015, 11:08 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,269,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
You KNOW what I'm reading!

I'm at 30% (page 223).
I'm enjoying it.
One thing that I found to be far-fetched: the adoption.
Ketabcha -- I saw your "Afghani" error. I found an earlier error too -- grammatical -- but... whatever.
I find myself thinking about my own friendships when reading about theirs. The shoelace tying reminded me of a few nice moments.

Okay! Back to the book!
Well, I viewed the adoption as the natural flow of events. It was the only thing that didn't take me by surprise. I was expecting that one.

I did not start hyperventilating until around 73% in. I'm serious about that. I thought we were in calm waters but that did not last long at all. Bam! Pow! OMG! Three major events blindsided me. I was so upset and pretty much remained upset throughout the rest of the book and when I finished it I just sat here in an almost catatonic trance.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Well, I viewed the adoption as the natural flow of events. It was the only thing that didn't take me by surprise. I was expecting that one.

I did not start hyperventilating until around 73% in. I'm serious about that. I thought we were in calm waters but that did not last long at all. Bam! Pow! OMG! Three major events blindsided me. I was so upset and pretty much remained upset throughout the rest of the book and when I finished it I just sat here in an almost catatonic trance.
I'm, uh, looking forward to that...?

It's a very good book. I'm enjoying it immensely. Usually, with such long books, I get bored by this point. Not with this one. I'm all in.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:26 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,826,592 times
Although I hated to see it come to an end,I finished Cotswolds Memoir: Discovering a Beautiful Region of Britain on a Quest to Buy a 17th Century Cottage by Diz White and Randall Montgomery. Loved,loved,loved it!

Now about to finish the fun,quirky~Enchanted, Inc.: Enchanted Inc., Book 1 by Shanna Swendson ,and then will start Mariana by Susana Kearsley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books