Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 02:12 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just read the Amazon blurb -- that sounds like a fascinating book. I might have to stop posting on Facebook, just in case.

It's now on my "to read" list.

Thanks!
Yes, the book was great. I am now reading The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry by the same author (Jon Ronson).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 06:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Well, I viewed the adoption as the natural flow of events. It was the only thing that didn't take me by surprise. I was expecting that one.

I did not start hyperventilating until around 73% in. I'm serious about that. I thought we were in calm waters but that did not last long at all. Bam! Pow! OMG! Three major events blindsided me. I was so upset and pretty much remained upset throughout the rest of the book and when I finished it I just sat here in an almost catatonic trance.
You must have been hyperventilating earlier -- at 46% (around page 335-340) -- as well. Because... Caleb!

Old 04-12-2015, 07:42 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
You must have been hyperventilating earlier -- at 46% (around page 335-340) -- as well. Because... Caleb!
Nah, at 46% I was trying not to run screaming from the house.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:46 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I had to take a break after that. Crazy.

Pinetree -- how far into it are you? Ketabcha must be on pins and needles for one of us to finish, and I'm not even half done.

ETA: Pinetree -- never mind. K told me.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 04-12-2015 at 08:44 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 10:03 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,301 times
So desperately want to check out A Little Life after all these posts about it!!
Low on funds though and all copies checked out ALL libraries in the city, is there somewhere I can read a sample or something? Thanks guys!

Old 04-12-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
Low on funds though and all copies checked out ALL libraries in the city, is there somewhere I can read a sample or something? Thanks guys!
Amber, do you have an e-reader? If so you can read a sample of the book at amazon.com.

A Little Life: A Novel - Kindle edition by Hanya Yanagihara. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

On the right side margin of the page is a box about 9 inches down from the top. You can download the sample from there.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm having trouble moving on from A Little Life. Settling in with another book has been difficult. Finally I slid into Before Women Had Wings by Dorothy B. Schweitzer. It just might be a fit for what I need right now. Hard to tell at this point since I am only 3% into the book but it does have possibilities.
Gosh, I'm replying to my own post. How embarrassing.

Before Women Had Wings did not work for me. I tried a couple of other books and even went back to my old standby Alas, Babylon which I have read more times than I can count and that didn't work either although I love that book.

I have around 900 books on my kindle. Wouldn't one think that I'd find something? Nope, A Little Life has been too much with me.

So, I finally landed on The Perseid Collapse by Steven Konkoly. He wrote The Jakarta Pandemic.
I believe I have been cured of the stunning experience of A Little Life. I'm reading again.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 04-12-2015 at 10:43 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 11:00 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Well, I have been waiting impatiently for a while for April 14 to come along. And that was because I thought that was the release date for a book I've been waiting impatiently to read. Not that I could remember exactly just what that book was, only that I was looking forward to it. So today I check my Amazon wish list to see just which book that might be, and I am completely discombobulated. I cannot find any book on my wish list with a release date of April 14! I could swear I saw it there just a few days ago and I held off buying other books simply because I was waiting for this one. What in the world....?!

Is anyone by any chance aware of any particularly desirable book with a release date of April 14th? Perhaps in the Fantasy or Science Fiction categories? Or maybe Literature? Probably not a 'popular' book?

I have looked through my Amazon 'recently browsed' lists and through the 'new release' lists and I still have not come across anything I would consider unmissable.

So in the meantime I am reading Magic Street by Orson Scott Card.

ETA: hehehe. I used 'impatiently' twice.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:02 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
Amber, you can download a free Kindle reading app on any computer and once you have that, you can read a free sample. Just remember to go to Amazon.ca and not Amazon.com.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
I started a series of detective fiction about Charlie Resnick by English author John Harvey written/set in the 80s--so the series is definitely not new...
Book 3 has the creepiest likely criminal and some awful crimes...
I have had to stop reading 4-5 times when I get to a part that seems especially threatening -- like covering my eyes watching a scary movie--yes, I still do that in movies....
The writing I find is very direct and personal--the main character Charlie Resnick is kind of a down at his heels Detective Inspector, shabby and getting older, divorced from his unfaithful wife...he loves American blues--sort of like Rebus and DCI Banks...loves cats...and is just very good at solving crimes but not solving his own problems...

I don't know if I can finish this book-- #3, called "Cutting Edge"...

to me -- my anxiety is mark of excellent writing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books