Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-13-2015, 01:40 AM
 
Location: Texas
15,893 posts, read 18,273,111 times
Reputation: 62766

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, I have been waiting impatiently for a while for April 14 to come along. And that was because I thought that was the release date for a book I've been waiting impatiently to read. Not that I could remember exactly just what that book was, only that I was looking forward to it. So today I check my Amazon wish list to see just which book that might be, and I am completely discombobulated. I cannot find any book on my wish list with a release date of April 14! I could swear I saw it there just a few days ago and I held off buying other books simply because I was waiting for this one. What in the world....?!

Is anyone by any chance aware of any particularly desirable book with a release date of April 14th? Perhaps in the Fantasy or Science Fiction categories? Or maybe Literature? Probably not a 'popular' book?

I have looked through my Amazon 'recently browsed' lists and through the 'new release' lists and I still have not come across anything I would consider unmissable.



So in the meantime I am reading Magic Street by Orson Scott Card.

ETA: hehehe. I used 'impatiently' twice.
I just went through 100 pages of book titles on amazon that will be released from 4/13/15 and on through July. Would you believe that not a one of them seemed to be what you are looking for? I think I have a fairly good grasp of what you like and none of them seemed to fit the bill. What I was looking at were hardbacks. Is there a possibility that the one on your list is an e-reader, Net?

I saw a nifty book about neurology. It's price? $552.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2015, 02:04 AM
 
Location: In my own personal Twilight zone
13,608 posts, read 5,375,424 times
Reputation: 30253
Hello all,
I've been absent for so many months, I had to do quite a lot of reading on this thread
And while I was gone from this forum I still had time to go on reading.

Diana Gabaldon got a new book from her Outlander series published. I still haven't figured out what MOBY means when they all refer to it, but I'm halfway through it now (Written in my own heart's blood). Before coming to read this I head to reread all the other seven books. It was really slow going since I've already read them three times and even now it seems that after book three they just don't capture me that much. Right now this book isn't very gripping either so I only read a few pages before going to bed.

On my kindle I am currently reading end time books (is that the correct word?). Two years ago I read World War Z and it was quite good. So I got hooked to that kind of stuff.

I've nearly finished "The Apocalypse" by Peter Meredith which is quite okay but seems a little leaning to close to the walking dead series on TV.

The Contamination boxes set by T.W. Piperbrook was better and even better was Apocalypse Z 1-3 by Manuel Loureiro.

I also read "When you went away" by Michael Baron which was okay and "The Ward" by S.L. Grey which was some kind of crazy/scary/weird but also quite entertaining.

Straight to Hell (book 1 of the Lilith Straight series) was okay but I probably won't get more of this series.

When not reading but cooking or cleaning I listened to the following audio books:

David Baldacchi: The Winner
Arne Dahl: Europa Blues
Fanny Flagg: Fried Green Tomatoes
Ake Edwardson: The Dark House
Jojo Moyes: The One Plus One
David Baldacchi: Saving Faith
Michael Robotham: Bleed for me

Okay, gotta go for now.
Diana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,549 posts, read 30,338,292 times
Reputation: 88950
You guys are killing me with A Little Life. I won't be able to get it for months


Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, I have been waiting impatiently for a while for April 14 to come along. And that was because I thought that was the release date for a book I've been waiting impatiently to read. Not that I could remember exactly just what that book was, only that I was looking forward to it. So today I check my Amazon wish list to see just which book that might be, and I am completely discombobulated. I cannot find any book on my wish list with a release date of April 14! I could swear I saw it there just a few days ago and I held off buying other books simply because I was waiting for this one. What in the world....?!

Is anyone by any chance aware of any particularly desirable book with a release date of April 14th? Perhaps in the Fantasy or Science Fiction categories? Or maybe Literature? Probably not a 'popular' book?

I have looked through my Amazon 'recently browsed' lists and through the 'new release' lists and I still have not come across anything I would consider unmissable.



So in the meantime I am reading Magic Street by Orson Scott Card.

ETA: hehehe. I used 'impatiently' twice.

Try here:
New book Releases for April 2015




My reading slowed down a bit. We packed up and are now in TN getting settled in. I am going to town today for some groceries and my library I hope they have some new releases as their library loan system will be down until mid May
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 07:24 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 7,911,707 times
Reputation: 7237
So, I finished A Little Life and am now waiting for these guys to leave my head so I can read something else. I'm not even going to try another book for a while as I know that nothing will work until I'm done thinking through this complicated, beautiful, deeply woven book.

A Little Life will not be the book for everyone. It may hit too close to home for some of you or be too painful or sordid for others, but for those of you who do choose to read it, I promise you that you will be caught up in the world of Jude, Willem, JB and Malcolm and changed by the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,953,312 times
Reputation: 28902
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
So, I finished A Little Life and am now waiting for these guys to leave my head so I can read something else. I'm not even going to try another book for a while as I know that nothing will work until I'm done thinking through this complicated, beautiful, deeply woven book.

A Little Life will not be the book for everyone. It may hit too close to home for some of you or be too painful or sordid for others, but for those of you who do choose to read it, I promise you that you will be caught up in the world of Jude, Willem, JB and Malcolm and changed by the experience.
I've been waiting for you...

I'm at 56%.

I'm one of those people for whom this hits (too) close to home and find it (too) painful, but that makes me want to read it more -- because it applies to me, it makes me feel, it makes me sad, and it makes me sigh with great big heaving breaths.

Thank you again for finding it and telling me about it and recommending it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
5,299 posts, read 8,241,623 times
Reputation: 3809
Netwit, I have The Children's Crusade by Ann Packer on hold at my library. It will be released for the kindle on April 14th. The book was reviewed by the NYT and was on Dawn's TBR list. Might that be the book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Princeton
1,078 posts, read 1,411,365 times
Reputation: 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I started a series of detective fiction about Charlie Resnick by English author John Harvey written/set in the 80s--so the series is definitely not new...
Book 3 has the creepiest likely criminal and some awful crimes...
I have had to stop reading 4-5 times when I get to a part that seems especially threatening -- like covering my eyes watching a scary movie--yes, I still do that in movies....
The writing I find is very direct and personal--the main character Charlie Resnick is kind of a down at his heels Detective Inspector, shabby and getting older, divorced from his unfaithful wife...he loves American blues--sort of like Rebus and DCI Banks...loves cats...and is just very good at solving crimes but not solving his own problems...

I don't know if I can finish this book-- #3, called "Cutting Edge"...

to me -- my anxiety is mark of excellent writing...
Hi Love,
I just picked up Patricia Cornwell's the Southern Cross, I'm hoping it's good because it looks long, I just finished "The Cure" by Robin Cook, a new Mom and Medical Examiner set in NJ, a very good read. I finished that one at work on Saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 09:10 AM
 
80 posts, read 156,415 times
Reputation: 134
I recently read everything I could get my hands on by Patrick Modiano, the French writer and winner of the 2014 Nobel Prize in literature. These are slim volumes, contemplative mysteries of identity and loss.

Often Modiano's protagonist is trying to find out what became of someone he briefly knew 20 or 30 years ago, and in so doing, discover something about himself as well. The internet and social media have rendered this kind of "whatever become of...?" search anachronistic, which is perhaps part of the charm of these books. The Occupation is a backdrop, and the fringe neighborhoods and streets of Paris are foreground. Modiano is very much a flâneur, more at home around the Périphérique than the Champs Élysées. I read the books with a map of Paris in hand.

I would recommend Honeymoon, Out of the Dark or Missing Person (Prix Goncourt 1978) to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,263 posts, read 9,273,145 times
Reputation: 9833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just went through 100 pages of book titles on amazon that will be released from 4/13/15 and on through July. Would you believe that not a one of them seemed to be what you are looking for? I think I have a fairly good grasp of what you like and none of them seemed to fit the bill. What I was looking at were hardbacks. Is there a possibility that the one on your list is an e-reader, Net?

I saw a nifty book about neurology. It's price? $552.00.
Oh, Ketabcha, you really shouldn't have but thanks. I also looked through pages and pages of new releases. I am not sure what you mean by an e-reader. I already have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thank you, I did that and nothing rings a bell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
So, I finished A Little Life and am now waiting for these guys to leave my head so I can read something else. I'm not even going to try another book for a while as I know that nothing will work until I'm done thinking through this complicated, beautiful, deeply woven book.

A Little Life will not be the book for everyone. It may hit too close to home for some of you or be too painful or sordid for others, but for those of you who do choose to read it, I promise you that you will be caught up in the world of Jude, Willem, JB and Malcolm and changed by the experience.
I am going to try it again when I have a little more time. Right now it's spring and on a farm there's nothing but work at certain times of the year and I think when I have a little time to think, then I won't find the characters so confusing. Right now I am so preoccupied, I almost got myself a speeding ticket the other day but I babbled my way out of it. He must have had sympathy for confused and horrified looking women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Netwit, I have The Children's Crusade by Ann Packer on hold at my library. It will be released for the kindle on April 14th. The book was reviewed by the NYT and was on Dawn's TBR list. Might that be the book?
I don't think so. I posted almost as a joke to the vagaries of memory. Maybe I never had a book for April 14? I have one for April 21 that I am also looking forward to. And maybe it was a book I thought was so obvious that I would remember, that I didn't bother to put it in my wish list. That'll teach me.

Anyway, back to work. I have a load of bales coming etc, etc. And I just wanted to tell you guys you are awesome for even bothering to think about what book it might have been in my thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,953,312 times
Reputation: 28902
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

I am going to try it again when I have a little more time. Right now it's spring and on a farm there's nothing but work at certain times of the year and I think when I have a little time to think, then I won't find the characters so confusing. Right now I am so preoccupied, I almost got myself a speeding ticket the other day but I babbled my way out of it. He must have had sympathy for confused and horrified looking women.


Pinetreelover said that she wrote tidbits about the characters on an index card so that she could keep track of them. I figured, "Nah, I won't have to do that." (I say that self-mockingly because I've given up on books after 20 pages because I don't know who's who.)

Then you said that you couldn't keep track of them in the sample so, when I started reading it, I made notes about the characters too. I started making notes about ALL the characters but that's a waste -- the extraneous ones don't come back. As long as you can familiarize yourself with Jude, JB, Willem, and Malcolm -- who's who -- you're golden.

I'm at 63% now. (Sssshhh. I've been taking a few breaks in my work day so that I can grab a few pages here and there). It's quite the book. When Pinetreelover said that it was "hard" reading, she's right. It's hard to read about some of these feelings. It's an easy read in terms of how it's written, but it's hard stuff to swallow.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 04-13-2015 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top