Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 05:29 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Diana Gabaldon got a new book from her Outlander series published. I still haven't figured out what MOBY means when they all refer to it, but I'm halfway through it now (Written in my own heart's blood).
It's sort of a joke, referring to the sound of the title when abbreviated:
WRITTEN IN MY OWN HEART'S BLOOD
==> MY OWN HEART'S BLOOD
==> MOHB
==> MOH-bee
==> Moby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 08:02 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
It's been awhile since I read a Patricia Cornwell book, but when I began Black Notice 2 days ago, it has been holding my attention every page and I've just finished it. Makes me want to read another one of hers immediately.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:18 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
It has been so long since I read Cornwall--think I got tired of her personal problems and Scarpetta just makes the same mistakes over and over (at least as I remember)...

If we are allowed to mention audio books--my husband and I drive back and forth from DFW TX to Sarasota FL area to our second home...we listen to audio books quite a bit...
the one I loved the best was "Boys in the Boat" about the 1936 Olympic rowing team from the U of Washington that beat the Germans...read by Edward Herrmann who died recently....epic story and so well written
reminded me of "Seabiscuit" which means it is top notch...they don't make men like that anymore...
My husband also liked the biography about Johnny Carson written and spoken by his accountant/friend Henry Buskin which those who watched the Carson show for decades (as we did) know was frequent butt of Carson's jokes...

We have a John Wayne biography and history of the Brooklyn Bridge and a docu-book about murder police in LA that I saw reviewed in NYTimes and bought for our next trip...

Old 04-14-2015, 10:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
A Little Life. At 79% now.

Three pages have blown me away. Pages 566 through 568. The way Willem says how we -- or rather, how we should -- choose the person with whom to spend life, based on the three (or four, if you're lucky) characteristics that are most important to you.

Blown away by the beauty and simplicity.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:30 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
You sold me! I'm going to get one this weekend!!
Bridge, just a few quick tips about a Kindle. The Kindle Fire is harder on the eyes as it is comparable to reading on a computer screen or tablet. If that isn't a problem for you a Fire is fine. If you plan on reading outside like I do from time to time a regular Kindle is what you want because it is easy on the eyes and just like reading a paperback. There is no glare which is wonderful if you are in the bright sunlight. I've had three Kindles so far and my favorite is still my old original, no frills second generation one.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:36 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Bridge, just a few quick tips about a Kindle. The Kindle Fire is harder on the eyes as it is comparable to reading on a computer screen or tablet. If that isn't a problem for you a Fire is fine. If you plan on reading outside like I do from time to time a regular Kindle is what you want because it is easy on the eyes and just like reading a paperback. There is no glare which is wonderful if you are in the bright sunlight. I've had three Kindles so far and my favorite is still my old original, no frills second generation one.
I have an original one also and have no problems. I heard the paperwhite one is good.

BTW, I bought a cover with a light and it is great for night time reading when I don't need a bog light on.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
For anyone who works outside the home and has decided to read A Little Life - you will need this:

Dear Employer,

Please excuse ________________________ from work. She is reading a very important, beautiful, gut-wrenching book and will be at home reading until she completes it. Following completion of the novel, she may need a few more days at home to process it and shake the characters out of her head.

Thank you for understanding,
Pinetree
Pinetree, Dawn, Sadie Lu, Keb, et al, You all have me so enthralled with your raves about A Little Life that I may have to read it next. I am reading A Secret History (loving it), and my copy of Pioneer Girl arrived Friday so I am venturing into that as well. I am sure "ALL" is going to stun and torment me but I am so curious about it that I must read it. I may need therapy when I'm finished with it.

PG should be included in any well stocked library. It is not to be jumped into as a fast ride, but enjoyed and savored like a long, leisurely expedition. I am impressed with the quality of the research that went into it and the quality of the book itself is exceptional. The paper is beautiful and I love the cover illustration.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:06 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Pinetree, Dawn, Sadie Lu, Keb, et al, You all have me so enthralled with your raves about A Little Life that I may have to read it next. I am reading A Secret History (loving it), and my copy of Pioneer Girl arrived Friday so I am venturing into that as well. I am sure "ALL" is going to stun and torment me but I am so curious about it that I must read it. I may need therapy when I'm finished with it.

PG should be included in any well stocked library. It is not to be jumped into as a fast ride, but enjoyed and savored like a long, leisurely expedition. I am impressed with the quality of the research that went into it and the quality of the book itself is exceptional. The paper is beautiful and I love the cover illustration.
I wish that I could remember The Secret History but I don't. I read it shortly after it came out. What I do remember, all these years later, is that I loved it like crazy. Ketabcha, who just recently read it, compared it to A Little Life. I trust her on that.

All that I can say is that I remember loving The Secret History and that I'm currently loving -- and don't want it to end! I'm at 81% and I keep taking breaks (ha! breaks to get some WORK done!) so that it won't be over -- A Little Life.

PS. I love the acronym for A Little Life that you pointed out. ALL. It is ALL that.
PPS. I tried to rep you but I was told to spread the love around again first. Feh!

Old 04-14-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have an original one also and have no problems. I heard the paperwhite one is good.

BTW, I bought a cover with a light and it is great for night time reading when I don't need a bog light on.
Lisa, I had the Paperwhite and really liked it because I could read without the lights on. For some reason, about 6 months after purchasing, it went wonky. I couldn't turn the page anymore and that was so frustrating. I should have sent it back but I had so many other things on my mind at the time (full kitchen reno) that I didn't do it. When my original goes out I am going to purchase another Kindle PW.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I wish that I could remember The Secret History but I don't. I read it shortly after it came out. What I do remember, all these years later, is that I loved it like crazy. Ketabcha, who just recently read it, compared it to A Little Life. I trust her on that.

All that I can say is that I remember loving The Secret History and that I'm currently loving -- and don't want it to end! I'm at 81% and I keep taking breaks (ha! breaks to get some WORK done!) so that it won't be over -- A Little Life.

PS. I love the acronym for A Little Life that you pointed out. ALL. It is ALL that.
PPS. I tried to rep you but I was told to spread the love around again first. Feh!
Dawn, Here is the Amazon synopsis:
Under the influence of their charismatic classics professor, a group of clever, eccentric misfits at an elite New England college discover a way of thinking and living that is a world away from the humdrum existence of their contemporaries. But when they go beyond the boundaries of normal morality their lives are changed profoundly and forever, and they discover how hard it can be to truly live and how easy it is to kill.

Tartt has a way of drawing you in and feeling what the characters are feeling. I just think it is fabulous! She truly is literary.

I constanttly get the message to spread the love around when I try to rep. Double feh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books