Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-14-2015, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Reputation: 28897

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Dawn, Here is the Amazon synopsis:
Under the influence of their charismatic classics professor, a group of clever, eccentric misfits at an elite New England college discover a way of thinking and living that is a world away from the humdrum existence of their contemporaries. But when they go beyond the boundaries of normal morality their lives are changed profoundly and forever, and they discover how hard it can be to truly live and how easy it is to kill.

Tartt has a way of drawing you in and feeling what the characters are feeling. I just think it is fabulous! She truly is literary.

I constanttly get the message to spread the love around when I try to rep. Double feh!
I remember the very basics -- professor, students, mythology -- and that I loved it. Maybe I'll re-read it one day. I say that about a lot of books, though, and I never do.

Keep enjoying it! And you have ALL to look forward to -- lucky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2015, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Central Maine
2,866 posts, read 3,606,302 times
Reputation: 4018
"The World Until Yesterday" by Jared Diamond. I find it fascinating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 03:19 PM
 
414 posts, read 906,373 times
Reputation: 591
Pinetree, Dawn, Holly, Keb, et al,
I finished A Little Life last night. I enjoyed the book overall (I know, take a deep breath, all those that read it) but did NOT enjoy all of the author's extraneous "stuff". I think she did a great job in character development and in the character story lines but really...I had to wonder if she was paid by-the-word or maybe by-the-page? This review from Amazon echoes my thoughts exactly: "My thoughts about this book are complicated. On one hand, it's beautifully written in many ways. On the other hand, it's a bit overblown in its writing, too. There are lovingly rendered details that create a lovely mental picture... and then the passage goes on... and on... until sometimes it devolves into lists. Lists that sometimes feel endless in their length and actually don't end up contributing much of anything to the story."
Also: "This 720 page book could have lost 200 pages very easily and it would still be too long. This author has a nice style of writing and a way with words but the story was way way overdone."

Honestly, some of the paragraphs in this book were longer than chapters in a good mystery novel! I sometimes found myself confused with the "he, him" in her writing. Which is the he, the him in this scene? Why not just throw in a name for me?

Anyway, I certainly don't want to scare anyone off. Just wanted to express my opinion in case anyone else feels the same way...know that you're not alone!

I'm sorry. I'm very sorry. Ya know? (as I run for cover!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 03:30 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 7,874,307 times
Reputation: 7234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Pinetree, Dawn, Holly, Keb, et al,
I finished A Little Life last night. I enjoyed the book overall (I know, take a deep breath, all those that read it) but did NOT enjoy all of the author's extraneous "stuff". I think she did a great job in character development and in the character story lines but really...I had to wonder if she was paid by-the-word or maybe by-the-page? This review from Amazon echoes my thoughts exactly: "My thoughts about this book are complicated. On one hand, it's beautifully written in many ways. On the other hand, it's a bit overblown in its writing, too. There are lovingly rendered details that create a lovely mental picture... and then the passage goes on... and on... until sometimes it devolves into lists. Lists that sometimes feel endless in their length and actually don't end up contributing much of anything to the story."
Also: "This 720 page book could have lost 200 pages very easily and it would still be too long. This author has a nice style of writing and a way with words but the story was way way overdone."

Honestly, some of the paragraphs in this book were longer than chapters in a good mystery novel! I sometimes found myself confused with the "he, him" in her writing. Which is the he, the him in this scene? Why not just throw in a name for me?

Anyway, I certainly don't want to scare anyone off. Just wanted to express my opinion in case anyone else feels the same way...know that you're not alone!

I'm sorry. I'm very sorry. Ya know? (as I run for cover!!)


No, no, no - you NEVER have to be sorry here for having an opinion! That is what makes this forum so meaningful!

I totally agree about the he/him/his issue! There were very few female characters in this book so the majority of the dialogue was guys talking to and with and about guys. You are so right - a first name every now and then would have been helpful!

There were only a few times that I felt like there were too many words or too many pages - mostly, I just let it sweep me along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Reputation: 28897
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Pinetree, Dawn, Holly, Keb, et al,
I finished A Little Life last night. I enjoyed the book overall (I know, take a deep breath, all those that read it) but did NOT enjoy all of the author's extraneous "stuff". I think she did a great job in character development and in the character story lines but really...I had to wonder if she was paid by-the-word or maybe by-the-page? This review from Amazon echoes my thoughts exactly: "My thoughts about this book are complicated. On one hand, it's beautifully written in many ways. On the other hand, it's a bit overblown in its writing, too. There are lovingly rendered details that create a lovely mental picture... and then the passage goes on... and on... until sometimes it devolves into lists. Lists that sometimes feel endless in their length and actually don't end up contributing much of anything to the story."
Also: "This 720 page book could have lost 200 pages very easily and it would still be too long. This author has a nice style of writing and a way with words but the story was way way overdone."

Honestly, some of the paragraphs in this book were longer than chapters in a good mystery novel! I sometimes found myself confused with the "he, him" in her writing. Which is the he, the him in this scene? Why not just throw in a name for me?

Anyway, I certainly don't want to scare anyone off. Just wanted to express my opinion in case anyone else feels the same way...know that you're not alone!

I'm sorry. I'm very sorry. Ya know? (as I run for cover!!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
No, no, no - you NEVER have to be sorry here for having an opinion! That is what makes this forum so meaningful!

I totally agree about the he/him/his issue! There were very few female characters in this book so the majority of the dialogue was guys talking to and with and about guys. You are so right - a first name every now and then would have been helpful!

There were only a few times that I felt like there were too many words or too many pages - mostly, I just let it sweep me along.
Yes. It is long. And I don't typically like long books. I get bored. I lose interest. I lose momentum. But I'm loving this one. I'm at 86% now and I'm sad because there aren't many words left.

Yes. The he/him issue is making me crazy because at the start of each section (section within a chapter), you don't often know who's speaking. He, Willem? Him, Jude? No and no. Flip 'em. Okay, got it now. But frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Reputation: 62765
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Pinetree, Dawn, Holly, Keb, et al,
I finished A Little Life last night. I enjoyed the book overall (I know, take a deep breath, all those that read it) but did NOT enjoy all of the author's extraneous "stuff". I think she did a great job in character development and in the character story lines but really...I had to wonder if she was paid by-the-word or maybe by-the-page? This review from Amazon echoes my thoughts exactly: "My thoughts about this book are complicated. On one hand, it's beautifully written in many ways. On the other hand, it's a bit overblown in its writing, too. There are lovingly rendered details that create a lovely mental picture... and then the passage goes on... and on... until sometimes it devolves into lists. Lists that sometimes feel endless in their length and actually don't end up contributing much of anything to the story."
Also: "This 720 page book could have lost 200 pages very easily and it would still be too long. This author has a nice style of writing and a way with words but the story was way way overdone."

Honestly, some of the paragraphs in this book were longer than chapters in a good mystery novel! I sometimes found myself confused with the "he, him" in her writing. Which is the he, the him in this scene? Why not just throw in a name for me?

Anyway, I certainly don't want to scare anyone off. Just wanted to express my opinion in case anyone else feels the same way...know that you're not alone!

I'm sorry. I'm very sorry. Ya know? (as I run for cover!!)


There is nothing to be sorry about, SadieLu. If we all agreed on everything then this world of ours would be very boring. I really enjoyed the "extraneous" stuff. I do agree with you about "him", "he" and "who."
She camouflaged those sections so well that I never could figure out who was speaking to or about whom until she decided to tell us. There were long stretches with no clues. I have a feeling this will be one of her writing devices in future books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Reputation: 28897
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
No, no, no - you NEVER have to be sorry here for having an opinion! That is what makes this forum so meaningful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
There is nothing to be sorry about, SadieLu. If we all agreed on everything then this world of ours would be very boring.
Agreed x 2.

SadieLu -- there have been books that I've loved that these two lovely ladies have said, "Eh... couldn't even finish it." And books that they've loved that held no interest for me. I still adore both of them, though, and I still always look to see what they're reading (except for K's zombie books and dystopian poop ) because when we're on the same page about a book (no pun intended), it feels golden.

PS. 87%!!!!
PS2: Still at 87%. Just sat down and read two more pages and... ohmygod.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 04-14-2015 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 04:27 PM
 
414 posts, read 906,373 times
Reputation: 591
Picking up A Spool of Blue Thread tomorrow. Has anyone read it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 04:37 PM
 
414 posts, read 906,373 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, I have been waiting impatiently for a while for April 14 to come along. And that was because I thought that was the release date for a book I've been waiting impatiently to read. Not that I could remember exactly just what that book was, only that I was looking forward to it. So today I check my Amazon wish list to see just which book that might be, and I am completely discombobulated. I cannot find any book on my wish list with a release date of April 14! I could swear I saw it there just a few days ago and I held off buying other books simply because I was waiting for this one. What in the world....?!

Is anyone by any chance aware of any particularly desirable book with a release date of April 14th? Perhaps in the Fantasy or Science Fiction categories? Or maybe Literature? Probably not a 'popular' book?

I have looked through my Amazon 'recently browsed' lists and through the 'new release' lists and I still have not come across anything I would consider unmissable.



So in the meantime I am reading Magic Street by Orson Scott Card.

ETA: hehehe. I used 'impatiently' twice.
Netwit: I just noticed the April 14th date for Every Fifteen Minutes by Lisa Scottoline. Maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 05:13 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 7,874,307 times
Reputation: 7234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Picking up A Spool of Blue Thread tomorrow. Has anyone read it?
I have not read it, but the cover is very, very appealing and I admit to having judged a book by its cover more than once. Let us know how it goes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top