Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 09:44 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,093 times

Advertisements

My recent reads have been: Casual Vacancy, J.K. Rowling, Bossypants, Tina Fey, My Year with Eleanor, Noelle Hancock, The perks of being a wallflower, Stephen Chbosky and am currently reading Not that kind of girl by Lena Dunham. So far, no disappointments. I'm hoping to ready 25-50 books this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:41 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,681 times
I am reading "The Survivor Chronicles". It's a series about earthquakes, giant sinkholes, volcanic lava, tsunamis wiping out cities and people trying to survive in the aftermath. I finished the first book in two days. LOL

Old 04-15-2015, 01:51 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Okay, I looked at this list https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/..._2015_Releases and this one https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...r-in-the-ashes caught my eye. Release date is April 28.
Thanks so much. I looked at the last link and that's not it as far as I know. It's occurred to me that whatever book I thought I was looking forward to back then, may be a book that no longer tickles anything inside me. Wouldn't that be ironic? I've spent a lot of time looking through April releases of all genres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Now I just have to get rid of my headache.... Maybe I'll go back to bed. We are under a severe wind warning and it is too windy to work outside and I've taken care of the basic care of the critters.
Well, I just woke up and my headache is gone and so are my south-facing shingles.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:36 PM

414 posts, read 911,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Tubby is such a hoot and yet can be extremely serious. Yippee, a new book and the first in a series is surely something to look forward to.
The author, Tony Dunbar, simply cracks me up. He spins such interesting mysteries with a good dose of humor. Thank you for mentioning this book. I look forward to reading it.
Similar authors for fun yet serious, quick reads: Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar series where he's a sports agent that gets involved in his clients' troubles and David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series where Andy is a rich lawyer just helping people out. Both characters are laugh-out-loud with their thoughts and comments. Good reads!!
(p.s. don't be fooled by the dog-ish titles on the Carpenter series...they're not dog stories, honest! The author is a rescuer and lover of Golden Retrievers IRL)

Old 04-15-2015, 06:31 PM

232 posts, read 237,453 times
Just finished Brock Lesnar's biography last night no idea what I am going to start next.My daughter is following in my foot steps she finished the first 2 in the Martha Series based around Little house on the prairie series in less than 48 hours!

Old 04-16-2015, 04:26 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
You must like Minnesota authors.
I think you are right. Tami Hoag, Amanda Hocking, and I have Brian Freeman also on my tr list

Old 04-16-2015, 05:34 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Finished Enchanted, Inc.: Enchanted Inc., Book 1 by Shanna Swendson , as I said it was fun and quirky.Then I started ~ Miss Julia Takes Over... second in the Miss Julia series by Ann B. Ross and I enjoyed it as much as I did the first book,such fun reads!

Next book will be Mariana by Susana Kearsley. I hadn't yet picked up the four of hers that I want to read,when I started the Miss Julia book.I believe I will be reading more in the Miss Julia series,as well!

Old 04-16-2015, 05:50 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I think you are right. Tami Hoag, Amanda Hocking, and I have Brian Freeman also on my tr list

Old 04-16-2015, 05:51 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Thanks so much. I looked at the last link and that's not it as far as I know. It's occurred to me that whatever book I thought I was looking forward to back then, may be a book that no longer tickles anything inside me. Wouldn't that be ironic? I've spent a lot of time looking through April releases of all genres.

Well, I just woke up and my headache is gone and so are my south-facing shingles.
Kind of giggling at the possibility of the book not being interesting anymore. I've done that - thank goodness usually with library books on the hold list or free books. I just think what ever made me think this sounded good?

Sorry about your shingles.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:38 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Kind of giggling at the possibility of the book not being interesting anymore. I've done that - thank goodness usually with library books on the hold list or free books. I just think what ever made me think this sounded good?

Sorry about your shingles.
I know - it's crazy how a book can seem like something you just have to have - and then my interest just dribbles away until I have no idea what in the world made me think I would like it.

The next book up on April 21 that I'm looking forward to is The Affinities by Robert Charles Wilson. But I can't remember until I read a bit of it whether he is one of those authors whose later books lost my interest. I know that I enjoyed some of his books tremendously and I have high hopes for this one. It's science fiction so Gandalara, you might be interested in this one too.

As far as my shingles are concerned, I already put in an insurance claim and I imagine I might have an adjuster here today unless they were inundated with claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books