Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 12:17 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,209,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Have any of you read Us Conductors by Sean Michaels?

http://www.amazon.com/Us-Conductors-...=us+conductors

The author is a Canadian boy, living right here in my city (Montreal), and this book was a big stinking deal some months ago when he won a huge Canadian prize -- the Giller -- for it.

If it weren't for him living in my city and winning the Giller, the book wouldn't even be on my radar -- Russia, 1930s, the theremin (which I'd never even heard of), blah blah blah words words words. Every month or so, though, I think of it a bit more and finally added it to my "to read" list.

I was wondering... have any of you have read it? What did you think?

Wow. This is beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6KbEnGnymk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 12:38 PM

496 posts, read 390,456 times
Quote:
What's more narcissistic than quoting your own post? Quoting two of your own posts.

How do you somewhat redeem yourself from being narcissistic about your posts? You admit that you were wrong in those posts.

So I said that I was bailing on You. Then I said that I'd read a bit more. Well. Um. Yeah. Now I'm at 50% and it's an awful stupid story but I want to find out what happens.
Dawn, you crack me up! Glad there were no customers in the store when I read your post.

I can't tell you how many times I am reading a book that is totally stupid because I am too nosey to put it down.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:49 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,858,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Oh my gosh, it is!

I have to stop mentioning books here. You *finish* them before I even *start* them. You're going to read Us Conductors, I take it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Dawn, you crack me up! Glad there were no customers in the store when I read your post.

I can't tell you how many times I am reading a book that is totally stupid because I am too nosey to put it down.
Don't tell anyone what I said in the rep comment; that I finished the book.

Oops.

It really was a stupid awful story. But the author -- Catherine Kepnes, I think it is -- wrote it really well. It was written in a completely manic way and it keeps the reader manic. I read a few of the reviews on Goodreads and I can't quote them here but they were right -- she wrote the **** out of that story. (And **** doesn't stand for "hell.")

Old 04-23-2015, 01:43 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Scott Spencer's "A Ship Made of Paper".
Well, I went ahead and finished it, and Spencer did fairly creditably put the thing to bed, but without making me feel any better about how things got there.

Brought home Jonathan Franzen's "Farther Away" and Elizabeth Gilbert"s "Pilgrims".

Old 04-23-2015, 01:45 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,209,732 times
Quote:
Oh my gosh, it is!

I have to stop mentioning books here. You *finish* them before I even *start* them. You're going to read Us Conductors, I take it?

Nope. I think I will skip that one. But I am well into A Reunion of Ghosts. It's really clever and funny but I think the book is heading into deep water and I'm not sure I'm ready to deal with that right now. I'm only 12% into it.

Hey, it's not my fault that you mention really good books. Please don't stop.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:56 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,602,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Well, I went ahead and finished it, and Spencer did fairly creditably put the thing to bed, but without making me feel any better about how things got there.

Brought home Jonathan Franzen's "Farther Away" and Elizabeth Gilbert"s "Pilgrims".
Let me know what you think of Pilgrims. I recently read Stern Men and liked it. I have Eat, Pray, Love but haven't read it yet.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:29 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,275,117 times
I just started Scarlet by Marissa Meyer which is the second book in The Lunar Chronicles. I loved the first one so this should be good. I needed a nice break after two back to back WWII novels.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Nope. I think I will skip that one. But I am well into A Reunion of Ghosts. It's really clever and funny but I think the book is heading into deep water and I'm not sure I'm ready to deal with that right now. I'm only 12% into it.

Hey, it's not my fault that you mention really good books. Please don't stop.
Well, I started it (Us Conductors, I mean). I downloaded it from the library. I read 8% and fell asleep. Then I read up to 11% and realized that I really don't care. I returned it to the library.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 PM

I'm reading Etta and Otto and Russell and James by Emma Hooper.

http://www.amazon.com/Etta-Otto-Russ...=etta+and+otto

Quote:
A gorgeous literary debut about unlikely heroes, lifelong promises, and last great adventures.

Otto,

The letter began, in blue ink,

I’ve gone. I’ve never seen the water, so I’ve gone there. Don’t worry, I’ve left you the truck. I can walk. I will try to remember to come back.

Yours (always),

Etta.

Otto finds the note left by his wife in the kitchen of their farmhouse in windswept Saskatchewan. Eighty-three-year-old Etta will be walking 3,200 kilometers to see the ocean, but somehow, Otto understands. He took his own journey once before, to fight in a faraway land.

With Etta gone, Otto struggles with his demons of war, while their friend Russell initially pursues the woman he has loved from afar.

And James—well, James you have to meet on the page.

Moving from the hot and dry present of a quiet Canadian farm to a dusty, burnt past of hunger, war, and passion, from trying to remember to trying to forget, Etta and Otto and Russell and James is an astounding literary debut about friendship and love, hope and honor, and the romance of last—great—adventures.
I'm just 10% in but what I can tell you is that it's sweet and quirky. Yes, definitely quirky. Quirky in the way that Come, Thou Tortoise is quirky. It must be something about being a young Canadian female writer. Quirky.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:24 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,330,358 times
Quote:
I'm reading Etta and Otto and Russell and James by Emma Hooper.

http://www.amazon.com/Etta-Otto-Russ...=etta+and+otto

I'm just 10% in but what I can tell you is that it's sweet and quirky. Yes, definitely quirky. Quirky in the way that Come, Thou Tortoise is quirky. It must be something about being a young Canadian female writer. Quirky.
That sounds like a good one! I put it on my wish list since I'm busy reading something else with 2 more from the library anxiously waiting for me to read them.

Coming back to say I just checked my library, they have it as ebook, so I'm on the hold list for it.

Last edited by fromupthere; 04-24-2015 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: update
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books