Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 02:35 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
If there was ever a time that I needed a really good, engaging, light-hearted, but non-fluff book, it is right now.

We had to have our 10 yr. old dog put to sleep today after a very recent (as in four days ago) diagnosis of metastatic, aggressive cancer. He was the absolute best dog on the planet and my heart is broken.

Tomorrow I head out of town for business for five days. Four nights alone in a hotel room.... I need a distraction that will not add to my sad lonesomeness.
Pinetree, Hugs to you. I am so sorry for your loss. Our furbabies are so precious to us and losing one is such a heart break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 02:46 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Last night I lost all control and ordered the Kindle Voyage. It is to arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to get it!

I am about 3/4 of the way through The Nightingale. My sleep is suffering big time from this. I went to bed around ten o'clock barely able to keep my eyes open and started another chapter of TN. Needless to say it was after midnight when I made myself stop reading.

SadieLu and Ket. I loved The Stranger. It certainly was a quick read and kept me on edge the whole way!

Old 04-29-2015, 03:23 PM

43,621 posts, read 44,355,249 times
"Churchill's Folly: How Winston Churchill Created Modern Iraq" by Christopher Catherwood

Old 04-29-2015, 07:04 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Midnight Rising: John Brown and the Raid That Sparked the Civil War
I really liked that book. You might also enjoy The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. It's historical fiction and very entertaining.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:39 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm reading The Ghost Map, by Steven Johnson. Someone here had recommend it a while back and it's been in my non-fiction to-be-read pile.

VERY interesting account of a 19th century cholera outbreak in London, and the man who worked on solving the mystery. This man, Dr. John Snow, was like a scientific/medical superhero. After transforming the brand new field of anesthesiology, by figuring out how to do the dosage of chloroform and ether so as not to kill people and so they won't wake up during surgery, he then became the founding father of epidemiology, and ultimately figured out how cholera is spread via contaminated drinking water. It's a non-fiction history book, but it reads like a mystery.
I read The Ghost Map awhile ago. Very interesting how he determined the source of the disease.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:05 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Well I thought I would enjoy "A spool of blue thread " by anne tyler . But half way through it just dropped the ball and I got tired of it . I finally bought myself a copy of "The bully pulpit " by Doris Kearns Goodwin and if you are anywhere close to a history major or a history buff I do recommend it . I m still waiting for Anne Patchett to put out another one . I absoloutly loved "A State of wonder " by her . My plants have been keeping me busy .

Old 04-30-2015, 08:28 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
I was not engaged at all by Storm by George Rippey Stewart, so did not finish it or Among the Janeites:A Journey Through the World of Jane Austen Fandom[too much worship of the Colin Firth film version,and IMO the ONLY Mr. Darcy is Matthew Macfadyen],so didn't finish either.

Now I am on pg 84 of the YA PARANORMAL/MYSTERY~ Amber House (The Amber House Trilogy #1)by Kelly Moore,and I can't wait to get back to it! It is so hauntingly atmospheric,the writing is exquisite!

"I was sixteen the first time my grandmother died. . . ."

Sarah Parsons has never seen Amber House, the grand Maryland estate that's been in her family for three centuries. She's never walked its hedge maze nor found its secret chambers; she's never glimpsed the shades that haunt it, nor hunted for the lost diamonds in its walls.

But after her grandmother passes away, Sarah and her friend Jackson decide to search for the diamonds--and the House comes alive. She discovers that she can see visions of the House's past, like the eighteenth-century sea captain who hid the jewels, or the glamorous great-grandmother driven mad by grief. Sarah grows closer to both Jackson and a young man named Richard Hathaway, whose family histories are each deeply entwined with her own. But when her ghostly visions start to threaten the person she holds most dear, Sarah must do everything she can to get to the bottom of the House's secrets, and stop the course of history before it is cemented forever.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:15 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
I just came from the dollar store and spotted the book table just inside the door. Right on top of the pile - The Outsider by Chris Culver. I was only going to pick up napkins and freezer bags but I had read The Abbey by the same author and I remember enjoying it so...

Ash Rashid is a 12-year veteran of the Indianapolis police force and one of the few Muslim-Americans thus engaged. He has just finished law school with an eye to becoming a prosecutor but the murder of the mother of his daughter's friend embroils Ash in a tangle of election year politics, crime, and street justice.

If Mr. Culver doesn't live up to the first book, well, I only paid a buck.

Last edited by theatergypsy; 04-30-2015 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: My keyboard has a mind of its own today!

Old 04-30-2015, 04:14 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
I started God Help The Child last night and Susan Mallery's Hold Me today. So far so good but I am not too far in either one.

I set up for my library's book sale today. I "borrowed" about 35 books. I am keeping 16 of them and returning the rest. I am on first shift in the morning to work the book sale so no one will miss the ones I borrowed

I picked up some that have been on my TR list for awhile and a few odd ball ones that I never heard of. All for $8.00 and they are the larger paperback books. What is that size called anyway?

Winter Garden by

The Girl with the Pearl Earring

The Thirteenth Tale

Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man

Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History

Bitsy's Bait and BBQ

Sula

Mr. Murder

The 19th Wife

The Five People You Meet in Heaven

Close to Home

The Alchemist

Julia's Chocolates

Where the Heart Is

Dead By Nightfall

Atonement

Old 04-30-2015, 04:30 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
they are the larger paperback books. What is that size called anyway?

It's called "trade paperback."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books