Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 09:03 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times

Advertisements

The Engines Of God by Jack McDevitt
I don't read much science fiction, but I once came across an intriguing review of another of McDevitt's books, which led me to this one. Two centuries in the future, humanity has explored the solar system and ventured out to the nearby stars. Along the way they've discover a number of mysterious monuments left by an apparently long-gone civilization. The main characters of the tale are the astro-archaeologists investigating the Monument-Makers.

Engaging, so far...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 09:10 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,154 times
Mystery of The Shemittah ( a pattern in scripture discovered that applies the number 7) to everything
ahead of America and world financial outcomes in cycles of 7 years) Shemittah runs oddly parallel with
the harbingers and blood moons a combination of discoveries by Rabbi Jonathan Cahn and Mark Biltz
two of the most significant men in history to date.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:50 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,777 times
On my hour long commute this a.m. I kept getting distracted trying to start my audio book. So I switched back to radio & will give another go on the way home. As luck would have it, a local interviewer was talking books with a woman who (it sounds as tho) runs a library. Since I came into the conversation after it started, I'm not sure who she is. But I did hear her say this is the season for book fairs and sales! Many local libraries use this season as their fundraising opportunity to refresh their book collection by selling used books. She suggests making a few phone calls to libraries near you & inquiring about upcoming sales; and that they usually know about other sales as well. This could be habit forming; I already stumbled on The Elephant's Trunk Flea Market in CT - throw in a book fair & I will be like Billy from Family Circus taking major detours all over the northeast!

Old 05-05-2015, 09:55 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I am currently engaging in an odd literary mash-up. I'm doing some traveling for work so downloaded Girl on a Train on my Kindle and read it in my hotel or between appointments. For the long driving stretches, though, I'm listening to The Longest Trip Home by John Grogan (author of Marley and Me). What a crazy contrast - Psycho-murder drama from one book and poignant memoir from the other!

I'm not too impressed with Girl on a Train - maybe it is because I'm reading it on my Kindle, but I have a hard time keeping up with the timeline and I'm not really sure that at 80% I give a hoot who killed Megan.

The Longest Trip Home, however, is lovely. Grogan was raised Catholic (as in very, very Catholic) and this memoir largely deals with his letting go of his parent's dreams for him to be a strict Catholic boy, man, husband and father. The best part though, is how respectfully he speaks of his parents and their religious fervor in spite of his very candid lack of agreement.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:04 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

I'm not too impressed with Girl on a Train - maybe it is because I'm reading it on my Kindle, but I have a hard time keeping up with the timeline and I'm not really sure that at 80% I give a hoot who killed Megan.
I didn't find that I really cared about any of the characters at all in that one, but at 80%, you gotta keep going.

I'm excited to discover there are recipes in Etta and Otto and Russell and James. (Well so far there's one recipe and I'm going to write it down and maybe give it a try). So far I'm really enjoying this one but I'm worried about later on based on something Dawn said.

I'm hoping to finish Etta et al before my next library book comes up - The Reluctant Midwife by Patricia Harman who wrote The Midwife of Hope River which I really enjoyed. I was so excited to discover she had written another. I'm also #4 (still) on the list at the library for The Stranger by Harlan Coben and #4 for My Sunshine Away by M O Walsh (based on recommendation from here).

Old 05-05-2015, 10:29 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
I am deep in the midst of 11/22/63. I can't wait to get home to start again. I could even go without eating this story has me so mesmerized. SK used to be one of my favorite authors but lately just don't enjoy much that he has written. I can't recall who mentioned it here but I am so glad I decided to read it.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:42 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,318,333 times
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
Believe it or not, I have never read it. (FYI I'm foreign born, and it's not a classic where're I'm from)

Old 05-05-2015, 05:23 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,777 times
What am I reading right now? John Gray. He is an essayist, journalist, reporter & TV news anchor based in the capital district of NY. His essays are usually about a page long, in the back of local magazines; he posts on FB also. Great insight on the things that really (should) matter. He needs to publish a book of his work.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm a glutton for punishment. Why didn't any of you stop me? I'm drowning in work -- drowning, I tell you -- but I started A Reunion of Ghosts by Judith Claire Mitchell anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Reunion-Ghosts...laire+mitchell

I'm at 11% and I'm enjoying it so far. I don't remember where Ketabcha stopped reading because she sensed it was going to get sad, but I'm not there yet.

Can you please -- please! -- not let me read tomorrow night so that I can get more work done? Please! ACK! You all won't do it -- I know you all too well.

ETA: I'm 16% in and let me tell you what I'm not enjoying about it so far. Its lighthearted take on everything from suicide to World Wars. I like the author being lighthearted about the sisters -- they're an interesting and funny trio -- but suicide and wars? Hmmm. I'm hoping that this doesn't continue; I'm not a fan of that sort of writing ploy.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 05-05-2015 at 08:46 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 08:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Hi Friends and those yet to be. I'm back. (Thanks, Dawn.)

I'm reading "Madam Secretary" by Madeline Albright. I'm only less than 80 pages into it, but it's been fascinating. I'd no idea of her life leading up to her public life. The writing is clear, and includes many interesting tidbits (at least to me) ranging from the
American's sacrifice of Czechoslovakia to Stalin, to how Bill Moyer got his start.

I love memoirs.

I'm listening to "Then She Found Me" by Elinor Lipman. I'm not sure why I am still listening to it, except that I've been spending a lot of time in my sewing room, and it is one of those stories that one can let large bits go by unremarked without losing the essence. A solid 2.5 on a scale of one to five.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books