Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 06:50 AM

496 posts, read 395,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Hi Friends and those yet to be. I'm back. (Thanks, Dawn.)

I'm reading "Madam Secretary" by Madeline Albright. I'm only less than 80 pages into it, but it's been fascinating. I'd no idea of her life leading up to her public life. The writing is clear, and includes many interesting tidbits (at least to me) ranging from the
American's sacrifice of Czechoslovakia to Stalin, to how Bill Moyer got his start.

I love memoirs.

I'm listening to "Then She Found Me" by Elinor Lipman. I'm not sure why I am still listening to it, except that I've been spending a lot of time in my sewing room, and it is one of those stories that one can let large bits go by unremarked without losing the essence. A solid 2.5 on a scale of one to five.
I'm very new here Mayberry but welcome back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
THat looks really good. Was that a free Kindle deal? I cannot find it at any of my libraries

Orphan Train was a wonderful little book. Just one thing different in a life can start a whole other chain effect.

I have had Beautiful Ruins on my list but haven't gotten to it. Enjoy.
Yes, the butterfly effect. I think that is one of the things that has me so mesmerized by 11/22/63. So many times when I reflect upon my own life I realize that even a slight change in a day can bring unexpected consequences.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:11 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
Hi Friends and those yet to be. I'm back. (Thanks, Dawn.)

I'm reading "Madam Secretary" by Madeline Albright. I'm only less than 80 pages into it, but it's been fascinating. I'd no idea of her life leading up to her public life. The writing is clear, and includes many interesting tidbits (at least to me) ranging from the
American's sacrifice of Czechoslovakia to Stalin, to how Bill Moyer got his start.

I love memoirs.

I'm listening to "Then She Found Me" by Elinor Lipman. I'm not sure why I am still listening to it, except that I've been spending a lot of time in my sewing room, and it is one of those stories that one can let large bits go by unremarked without losing the essence. A solid 2.5 on a scale of one to five.
Oh my gosh it's so nice to have you back!! You've been missed. I look forward to seeing your posts again.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:27 AM

414 posts, read 911,043 times
Not sure this is my "type" of book but I thought I'd mention The Martian by Andy Weir. It is HIGHLY recommended by my SIL...she couldn't stop gushing about it. So it's out there now, for anyone looking for a different story!

The Martian by Andy Weir | 9780553418026 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

Old 05-06-2015, 07:41 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Not sure this is my "type" of book but I thought I'd mention The Martian by Andy Weir. It is HIGHLY recommended by my SIL...she couldn't stop gushing about it. So it's out there now, for anyone looking for a different story!

The Martian by Andy Weir | 9780553418026 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble
Someone else mentioned it a while back and I am on the hold list at the library. Nice to see another recommendation for it.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:56 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I am deep in the midst of 11/22/63. I can't wait to get home to start again. I could even go without eating this story has me so mesmerized. SK used to be one of my favorite authors but lately just don't enjoy much that he has written. I can't recall who mentioned it here but I am so glad I decided to read it.
I recommended it recently and I'm so glad you're enjoying it. I feel the same way about SK and his work over the years. His more recent stuff has all been good, IMO.

I brought The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry to word today and hope to start it at lunch. I also checked out Deep Down Dark by Hector Tobar but my husband snagged it when I got home. It's a non-fiction account of the Chilean mining accident a few years ago. A reviewer on NPR said it was great and that even though we all know the ending (everyone survived), it's riveting. So, two things to look forward to.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I recommended it recently and I'm so glad you're enjoying it. I feel the same way about SK and his work over the years. His more recent stuff has all been good, IMO.

I brought The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry to word today and hope to start it at lunch. I also checked out Deep Down Dark by Hector Tobar but my husband snagged it when I got home. It's a non-fiction account of the Chilean mining accident a few years ago. A reviewer on NPR said it was great and that even though we all know the ending (everyone survived), it's riveting. So, two things to look forward to.
I am glad I saw your recommendation Marlow because this is the SK I knew and loved. I thought Revival was a waste of time but I'm glad I took a chance on this one!

Old 05-06-2015, 09:10 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Oh my gosh it's so nice to have you back!! You've been missed. I look forward to seeing your posts again.
Thank you. I'd thought my computer had a bug and could no longer get on C-D, but after Dawn emailed me I tried again I found it was my "buggy" brain and I'd only used a wrong passcode.

Since I've been away, I've discovered I LOVE the Craig Johnson "Longmire" book series. I gave "The Cold Dish" and "Another Man's Moccasins" five stars. Ditto for Douglas Preston's "Pendergast" series. Five starts for "Relic."

I'm sure I've mentioned Walter Mosley before, but don't think I've mentioned his "Socrates Fortlow" trilogy. The first, "Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned" got five stars. Mosley's writing is tight and he gives his characters a depth and voice that is uniquely theirs. The second, "Walkin' the Dog" was a three star for me, though I think I am more critical because the general rating was higher.

"The Secret Scripture" by Sebastian Barry was a five star audiobook for me, because Wanda McCaddon gave both of the central characters their unique voice. (I seem to be more of a "character-driven" reader than "plot-driven.")

I finally did read Nancy Horan's "Under the Wide and Starry Sky." I think someone here recommended it. Being a fan of Robert Louis Stevenson, this historic fictional account of his life with Fanny was compelling. I cried at his burial service. Another five star.

Another five star audiobook I read hit me in the gut like a speeding baseball. My review of "We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves" by Karen Joy Fowler: "This was not a feel good story, in fact it was hard to listen to -- so much of the author's story squeezes the heart at the sadness of it, while the information regarding the facts punches the reader square in the gut. We are forced to face the ugly truth of our relationship to the animals in our lives -- including our own. Still, it was a story worth learning, and leaves the reader with hope that we can rise above ourselves. I just hope that part is true."

Other "fives" include:
Jodi Piccoult's "The Storyteller"
Amanda Coplin's "The Orchardist" -- audio

Hopefully, this makes up for my absence.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I am glad I saw your recommendation Marlow because this is the SK I knew and loved. I thought Revival was a waste of time but I'm glad I took a chance on this one!
That's good to know about Revival. If I pick it up and don't like it I won't spend any more time on it. Ketabcha recommended Dr. Sleep so it's on my list.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I'd thought my computer had a bug and could no longer get on C-D, but after Dawn emailed me I tried again I found it was my "buggy" brain and I'd only used a wrong passcode.

Since I've been away, I've discovered I LOVE the Craig Johnson "Longmire" book series. I gave "The Cold Dish" and "Another Man's Moccasins" five stars. Ditto for Douglas Preston's "Pendergast" series. Five starts for "Relic."

I'm sure I've mentioned Walter Mosley before, but don't think I've mentioned his "Socrates Fortlow" trilogy. The first, "Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned" got five stars. Mosley's writing is tight and he gives his characters a depth and voice that is uniquely theirs. The second, "Walkin' the Dog" was a three star for me, though I think I am more critical because the general rating was higher.

"The Secret Scripture" by Sebastian Barry was a five star audiobook for me, because Wanda McCaddon gave both of the central characters their unique voice. (I seem to be more of a "character-driven" reader than "plot-driven.")

I finally did read Nancy Horan's "Under the Wide and Starry Sky." I think someone here recommended it. Being a fan of Robert Louis Stevenson, this historic fictional account of his life with Fanny was compelling. I cried at his burial service. Another five star.

Another five star audiobook I read hit me in the gut like a speeding baseball. My review of "We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves" by Karen Joy Fowler: "This was not a feel good story, in fact it was hard to listen to -- so much of the author's story squeezes the heart at the sadness of it, while the information regarding the facts punches the reader square in the gut. We are forced to face the ugly truth of our relationship to the animals in our lives -- including our own. Still, it was a story worth learning, and leaves the reader with hope that we can rise above ourselves. I just hope that part is true."

Other "fives" include:
Jodi Piccoult's "The Storyteller"
Amanda Coplin's "The Orchardist" -- audio

Hopefully, this makes up for my absence.
So glad you're back, and with so many recommendations! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books