Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 05:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I thought about telling you it was all about the potato but I was too ticked off to even make something up for you about the ending. Since you probably don't remember, there isn't a potato in the book.
Bahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's hilarious!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 05:50 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I don't know what the fascination is with Gone Girl. I read it some time ago and I didn't like it at all. I must be in the minority though as I often hear people saying it was a great book. SMH.
I didn't think it was that great either

Old 05-08-2015, 10:52 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,610 times
Just finished Heirs of Cyador last night so I'm starting Heritage of Cyador today. These are the two most recently published books in Modesitt's Saga of Recluse series.

I enjoyed Heirs and it helped to fill in how Hamor changed after Cyad was destroyed by Recluse.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:14 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I'm reading an old book from 1944 called Green Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge.

Choosing it as my next book to read happened like this:

When I cleaned out my Grandmother's house after her death a few years back, I found this among her books, and she had written inside "this is a very good book! and signed her name. So instead of putting it in the "sell" pile, I kept it. It sat on my shelf for about 6 years.

Last week, I was flicking channels, and saw an old movie called Green Dolphin Street was on TCM. It was nearly over so I didn't watch, but since I'd just finished a book, I took this as a "sign" to read my Grandmom's book next.

So far, I am enjoying it. The author is very descriptive, even to the minute detail, about the setting (Guernsey island in the mid-1800s), which I tend to like, when I know that others don't. I find I'm reading it more slowly than my usual reading pace. I only get in about 10 pages a night, partly because of all the descriptions and imagery, and partly because the font size is small, but the pages are wider, so I end up reading slower, because my eyes are having trouble starting on the proper line after finishing the previous line. I find myself putting my finger on the page.

It's the story of two sisters raised in a wealthy family in the Channel Islands. The older sister is serious, intense, and intellectual, while the younger sister is perpetually happy, innocently good, and beautiful. The older sister is described as sort of scrawny, with dark hair that won't hold any style, sallow skin (the author does overuse "sallow" one too many times), and dark heavy eyebrows. They both fall in love with the same boy, who eventually goes off to New Zealand when they grow up. One day, while drunk, he writes to the girls' father asking for his daughter's hand in marriage, but he erroneously writes the older girl's name and not the younger one, whom he really wants to marry. Then I guess the rest of the story is what happens after the older sister arrives in New Zealand to marry him. I anticipate lots of vivid, detailed descriptions of New Zealand. Oddly, I saw that Lana Turner plays the older sister in the movie. That's weird, because the girl is supposed to be homely, and I kind of think Lana Turner was, well, not homely.

Anyway, I like the vivid descriptions of setting, as well as being privy to the internal thoughts of the older sister.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
LOL! I started this reply this morning, and here it is 4PM and I am just finding it on my computer unfinished!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just finished The Girl on the Train. What was all the fuss about? Those were the most unlikeable, under-developed characters. I had heard so many comparisons to Gone Girl, but it didn't even come close. Bleh.
Thank you for helping me reduce my TR list by this one. Strangely, there also seems to be books about this book, indicating that some felt it noteworthy. Maybe the fact that all the characters are unlikeable makes it "literature"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
That one, Marlow, is one of my all time favorite SK books. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Plow through the first part that is slow but needed. It doesn't last for very long. I like Danny so much.
Dr. Sleep has now replaced the prior deletion, leaving my TBRs at 626.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Reading the latest Joe Ledger novel, Predator One by Jonathan Maberry. It's another ridiculously high octane and wonderfully crunchy addition to the series. Highly recommended for Maberry fans. First time readers should start with Patient Zero for maximum enjoyment.
Yep, another TBR.

Quote:
... I considered the last book in the Miss Buncle series but I'm not in the mood for that. Maybe The Martian?
I've never heard of Miss Buncle, so I added her to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
NEW BOOK ALERT!!! Release date: 7/7/15
It's called Bradstreet Gate by Robin Kirman.
I like mysteries, so that one's on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
... Hild is the story of St Hilda, circa 680CE. It isn't a religious book, just that it is an imagined story of the abbess based on legends and some facts. It seems to be very highly researched and I vaguely recall someone here asking for recommendations of books like that.
I like well-researched historic fiction, and anything set in a time that long ago will be interesting even if she's not. So, on the list it goes.

Quote:
I don't know what the fascination is with Gone Girl. I read it some time ago and I didn't like it at all. I must be in the minority though as I often hear people saying it was a great book. SMH.
Yes, Holly Kay, I tossed it in the return to library bin before I finished the first chapter. Gone, gone, gone.

My Kindle came to an abrupt demise when I hit my DH on the upper arm for a smart aleck remark he made when I was reading. (It wasn't even a hard hit, really!) So, I am no longer reading electronically. For awhile it took some getting used to the weight of a book, but I've gotten over that -- or I am reading in shorter durations, not sure which.

Tomorrow is my 59th birthday, and we are starting celebrations tonight. Hope you all have a great weekend!

Old 05-08-2015, 05:44 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm reading an old book from 1944 called Green Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge.

Choosing it as my next book to read happened like this:

When I cleaned out my Grandmother's house after her death a few years back, I found this among her books, and she had written inside "this is a very good book! and signed her name. So instead of putting it in the "sell" pile, I kept it. It sat on my shelf for about 6 years.

Last week, I was flicking channels, and saw an old movie called Green Dolphin Street was on TCM. It was nearly over so I didn't watch, but since I'd just finished a book, I took this as a "sign" to read my Grandmom's book next.

So far, I am enjoying it. The author is very descriptive, even to the minute detail, about the setting (Guernsey island in the mid-1800s), which I tend to like, when I know that others don't.
While I don't recall reading Green Dolphin Street, I do remember watching the movie and enjoying it. However I have read and enjoyed a few of Elizabeth Goudge's other books such as The Rosemary Tree, Towers in the Mist, and The Scent of Water. If you're looking for more of her works, I highly recommend those 3 books.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:51 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
LOL! I started this reply this morning, and here it is 4PM and I am just finding it on my computer unfinished!

Thank you for helping me reduce my TR list by this one. Strangely, there also seems to be books about this book, indicating that some felt it noteworthy. Maybe the fact that all the characters are unlikeable makes it "literature"?

Dr. Sleep has now replaced the prior deletion, leaving my TBRs at 626.

Yep, another TBR.

I've never heard of Miss Buncle, so I added her to the list.

I like mysteries, so that one's on the list.

I like well-researched historic fiction, and anything set in a time that long ago will be interesting even if she's not. So, on the list it goes.

Yes, Holly Kay, I tossed it in the return to library bin before I finished the first chapter. Gone, gone, gone.

My Kindle came to an abrupt demise when I hit my DH on the upper arm for a smart aleck remark he made when I was reading. (It wasn't even a hard hit, really!) So, I am no longer reading electronically. For awhile it took some getting used to the weight of a book, but I've gotten over that -- or I am reading in shorter durations, not sure which.

Tomorrow is my 59th birthday, and we are starting celebrations tonight. Hope you all have a great weekend!
Look how your TBR list is already growing! Aren't you glad to be back here?!?!??

Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope that your day is perfect and that your cake is delicious. xxo

Old 05-08-2015, 08:05 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Happy Birthday!!!!!

Old 05-08-2015, 08:16 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Just started Murder on Amsterdam Avenue (Gaslight Mysteries), which is book #17 of an excellent historical series.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:47 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
just finished the third book in the Miss Julia series~Miss Julia Throws A Wedding,and it was another fun read. Now I am reading and very much enjoying ~Robot Visions by Isaac Asimov,even loved his introduction,it is fascinating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books