Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 05:15 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,310,177 times

Advertisements

Good morning….just passing along a recommendation. It looks good but will be awhile before I can get it.

The Seven Sisters by Lucinda Riley
"Maia D’Apliese and her five sisters gather together at their childhood home, “Atlantis”—a fabulous, secluded castle situated on the shores of Lake Geneva—having been told that their beloved father, who adopted them all as babies, has died. Each of them is handed a tantalizing clue to her true heritage—a clue which takes Maia across the world to a crumbling mansion in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Once there, she begins to put together the pieces of her story and its beginnings.

Eighty years earlier in Rio’s Belle Epoque of the 1920s, Izabela Bonifacio’s father has aspirations for his daughter to marry into the aristocracy. Meanwhile, architect Heitor da Silva Costa is devising plans for an enormous statue, to be called Christ the Redeemer, and will soon travel to Paris to find the right sculptor to complete his vision. Izabela—passionate and longing to see the world—convinces her father to allow her to accompany him and his family to Europe before she is married. There, at Paul Landowski’s studio and in the heady, vibrant cafes of Montparnasse, she meets ambitious young sculptor Laurent Brouilly, and knows at once that her life will never be the same again."

Now I am reading Close To Home by Lisa Jackson for a buddy read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 03:21 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,231,868 times
Tune In By Mark Lewisohn. Best Beatles book by a mile!

Old 05-10-2015, 04:35 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,244,048 times
Lisa Genova has a new book out. She Wrote Still Alice about Alzheimer's. The latest is about an Irish family in the US for generations. Inside the O'Briens is about a family dealing with Huntington's disease. After Still Alice I read Left Neglected. In that one she writes about a 30ish soccer mom who suffers brain damage in a car wreck that leaves her "left-neglected." She cannot even recognize anything on her left. I enjoyed that book.

No, I don't concentrate on books about illness and disease. I like Genova's books because she spins amazing stories that are populated by some very interesting characters (many of whom I like).

Old 05-10-2015, 08:47 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,688,686 times
I trudging along with a couple of books that I thought were novels, and neither one was. Jonathan Franzen's essays "Farrher Away" and Elizabeth Gilbert's short stories "Pilgrims".

Each of them is good in its own say, but I prefer the novel form. I skipped a lot of the Franzen, but as a birder, I liked his descriptions of those adventures.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:19 AM

23 posts, read 24,038 times
Fifty Shades Darker. Looking forward to see the movie because Fifty Shades of Gray was way too boring

Old 05-11-2015, 05:19 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,310,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Lisa Genova has a new book out. She Wrote Still Alice about Alzheimer's. The latest is about an Irish family in the US for generations. Inside the O'Briens is about a family dealing with Huntington's disease. After Still Alice I read Left Neglected. In that one she writes about a 30ish soccer mom who suffers brain damage in a car wreck that leaves her "left-neglected." She cannot even recognize anything on her left. I enjoyed that book.

No, I don't concentrate on books about illness and disease. I like Genova's books because she spins amazing stories that are populated by some very interesting characters (many of whom I like).
I like her writing. I tried to reserve the new one but it was too soon for my libraries. I did pick up Left Neglected last week….now I just have to get to it. I have a big stack of books

Old 05-11-2015, 08:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,635,799 times
Happy Belated Birthday, LFM!

I finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and loved it. Going in I thought it was sort of a silly lark of book but I was way off. It's a very moving story of love and redemption.

I have Ordinary Wolves waiting at the library. I have no idea what it's about but have seen it recommended on here. Hope it's another pleasant surprise.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:42 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,913,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

I finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and loved it. Going in I thought it was sort of a silly lark of book but I was way off. It's a very moving story of love and redemption.

The part that I bolded ^ -- that's the reason that I never read the book. It looks like I'll reconsider. I've had it on my Kindle forever, but I didn't want to read a silly story. I'm happy to hear that it's not.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:47 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,277,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Loved that book except for how it ended.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:18 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,635,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
The part that I bolded ^ -- that's the reason that I never read the book. It looks like I'll reconsider. I've had it on my Kindle forever, but I didn't want to read a silly story. I'm happy to hear that it's not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Loved that book except for how it ended.
I had seen it described as light and "twee," (which is a new word for me!) and while it's certainly built around a whimsical framework, it also is a nuanced tale about love, marriage, friendship, guilt and redemption. Maybe it was just the mood I was in, but I didn't find it particularly light. Or twee.

The end definitely was bittersweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books