Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 12:20 PM

496 posts, read 395,293 times

Advertisements

Happy belated birthday Mayberry! Hope your day was a stellar one.

I started Night Watch and I am giving up on it. It is so totally fantasy that I feel it's a waste of time. I am going to start Mr Mercedes tonight and I saw that the next book in the series comes out June 2nd so if I like this one I won't have long to wait for the second one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 02:05 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
My faith is restored...in myself and reading! I was being to wonder if I really liked books since I wasn't finding anything that really appealed. Turns out it just had to be the right book. 200 pages into A Little Life. Probably enjoying it isn't the right word, with all the stuff about Jude, but I'm definitely consuming it. I do hope that there will be somewhat of an uplifting payoff at the end, especially after recently watching the movie Wild (just like the book, I didn't think there was an epiphany at the end. The walk was completed. End of story).

Old 05-11-2015, 03:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
My faith is restored...in myself and reading! I was being to wonder if I really liked books since I wasn't finding anything that really appealed. Turns out it just had to be the right book. 200 pages into A Little Life. Probably enjoying it isn't the right word, with all the stuff about Jude, but I'm definitely consuming it. I do hope that there will be somewhat of an uplifting payoff at the end, especially after recently watching the movie Wild (just like the book, I didn't think there was an epiphany at the end. The walk was completed. End of story).
Uhhhh...

Old 05-11-2015, 05:23 PM

414 posts, read 911,043 times
Just finished The Deepest Secret by Carla Buckley. Her writing is very similar to Jodi Picoult's so if you like Picoult's books you should enjoy this one!

Old 05-11-2015, 07:44 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Uhhhh...
Ditto.

Spoiler
[SPOILER Although I thought the writing brilliant, I think it is the most depressing book I have ever read and also in retrospect, I hate every single one of the characters. Maybe her zombie book is more uplifting?
[/spoiler]

Old 05-11-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Happy Belated Birthday, LFM!

I finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and loved it. Going in I thought it was sort of a silly lark of book but I was way off. It's a very moving story of love and redemption.

I have Ordinary Wolves waiting at the library. I have no idea what it's about but have seen it recommended on here. Hope it's another pleasant surprise.
The Unlikely Pilgrimage isn't a silly book at all - it is so human. I can't get into the sequel for the life of me though.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:52 PM

I somehow came across The Rising by Brian Keene and there's a foreword that describes it as the start of the zombie genre and apparently it was or is very popular??? Has anyone ever read it? I tried to read it but it was not my cup of tea and I returned it for a refund. I didn't find the writing to be very good. http://www.amazon.com/Rising-Authors...rds=the+rising

I am not sure what I am reading now. I have a lot of work right now. I've been dipping into and rejecting a lot of books.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:41 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Happy Belated Birthday, LFM!

I finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and loved it. Going in I thought it was sort of a silly lark of book but I was way off. It's a very moving story of love and redemption.

I have Ordinary Wolves waiting at the library. I have no idea what it's about but have seen it recommended on here. Hope it's another pleasant surprise.
Thank you, Marlow. I already had "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry" on my TBR list, but now that I've looked up "Ordinary Wolves" I've got another! So double thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Happy belated birthday Mayberry! Hope your day was a stellar one.

I started Night Watch and I am giving up on it. It is so totally fantasy that I feel it's a waste of time. I am going to start Mr Mercedes tonight and I saw that the next book in the series comes out June 2nd so if I like this one I won't have long to wait for the second one.
Thanks Holly Kay. If you are referring to Terry Prachett's "Night Watch" (of the Discworld series), I totally love it -- and all of that series, but his humor is very, very dry and so is mine. As for "Mr Mercedes," all I can say is SK's writing is seamless (as always), but the story itself was too, too, too for me. I just could not stomach Mr. Mercedes. I hope you do better with it than I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
... I do hope that there will be somewhat of an uplifting payoff at the end, especially after recently watching the movie Wild (just like the book, I didn't think there was an epiphany at the end. The walk was completed. End of story).
I, too, think that a story should be more than just a story, but am learning that is not always the case -- darn it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Just finished The Deepest Secret by Carla Buckley. Her writing is very similar to Jodi Picoult's so if you like Picoult's books you should enjoy this one!
I looked at the description in Goodreads and it does look compelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I somehow came across The Rising by Brian Keene and there's a foreword that describes it as the start of the zombie genre and apparently it was or is very popular???
I'm thinking Ketabcha is the zombie reader ... is that right, K'?

I just finished listening to "Then She Found Me" by Elinor Lipman, and read by Mia Barron. It was a cute story and it seemed to me that there was an interesting change in the protagonist as the story unfolded, but that may have just been my imagination. The reader did a nice job.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:58 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
I just gave up on "Madam Secretary: A Memoir" by Madeleine Albright. I loved the beginning, but when she got to the chapter "World (Dis)Order" and started describing the situation in Somalia, in Rwanda, and then Haiti -- I just couldn't do it.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:11 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I finished A Reunion of Ghosts. I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the characters, the story, the telling of the tale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books