Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 06:24 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I finished A Reunion of Ghosts. I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the characters, the story, the telling of the tale.
I read the word Ghost and had to go to Amazon to check this out.

Sounds like a really good read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 06:37 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I am reading The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult (LFM mentioned it on her return) and I'm also listening (per my personal inspiration of LFM always reading and listening) to Between Shades of Gray (Official Book Website for Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys). I also got Left Neglected by Lisa Genova from the library. I was just chatting with my mom about Still Alice which she read and I have on my TBR list so I remembered LN had been mentioned here too (maybe Dawn???). Still anxious for my copy of The Reluctant Midwife to be mine too. Now I just need to find the time to read them all.

Last edited by fromupthere; 05-12-2015 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: editing

Old 05-12-2015, 06:47 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I read the word Ghost and had to go to Amazon to check this out.

Sounds like a really good read
Ha! I don't *do* ghosts or dystopia or paranormal or... (the list is long). A Reunion of Ghosts is all too real and is actually loosely based on some real (historical) people. The story itself is so incredibly unique and I really wanted (needed) to know what happened to these three (fictional) women. If you decide to read it, I hope that you enjoy it.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:50 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I am reading The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult (LFM mentioned it on her return) and I'm also listening (per my personal inspiration of LFM always reading and listening) to Between Shades of Gray (Official Book Website for Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys). I also got Left Neglected by Lisa Genova from the library. I was just chatting with my mom about Still Alice which she read and I have on my TBR list so I remembered LN had been mentioned here too (maybe Dawn???). Still anxious for my copy of The Reluctant Midwife to be mine too. Now I just need to find the time to read them all.
Still Alice is the only one of Lisa Genova's books that I thought was good. Her latest one -- it just came out -- is yet another one that fits "the formula," which is not a writing tool that I enjoy.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:08 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

I'm thinking Ketabcha is the zombie reader ... is that right, K'?
Guilty as charged.
I have not read Keene's The Rising, though.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:13 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Still Alice is the only one of Lisa Genova's books that I thought was good. Her latest one -- it just came out -- is yet another one that fits "the formula," which is not a writing tool that I enjoy.
I think I might enjoy Left Neglected since I haven't read Still Alice. Since Still Alice is such a big hit it'd probably be a different story the other way around.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:19 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:

IMO it would be hard to beat Still Alice. That book really spoke to me. I thought Left Neglected was okay.
I'm 80% through Inside the O'Briens. That one is about Huntington's Disease and I've learned a lot about it. I like the characters. The book sits somewhere between "Still Alice" and "Left Neglected" in my esteem.

I like this author.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:22 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I am ... listening (per my personal inspiration of LFM always reading and listening)...

Old 05-12-2015, 08:50 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Thanks Holly Kay. If you are referring to Terry Prachett's "Night Watch" (of the Discworld series), I totally love it -- and all of that series, but his humor is very, very dry and so is mine. As for "Mr Mercedes," all I can say is SK's writing is seamless (as always), but the story itself was too, too, too for me. I just could not stomach Mr. Mercedes. I hope you do better with it than I did.

Mayberry it isn't the Terry Pratchett series, It's by Sergei Lukyanenko. I just can't get the thrill from this one but I may try to plod on with it after Mr Mercedes. I am enjoying MM so far but I know what you mean about not being able to stomach him. SK sure can weave a good tale though.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:39 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,767 times
Finished up Cyador's Heritage last night and truly enjoyed it. I had been a bit worried because a book review on Amazon had been extremely negative in stating that all the themes were similar in the Saga of Recluse series. In fact Cyador's Heritage and the prequel Heirs of Cyador do a good job of explaining how Hamor would have the Cyad Codex for its laws.

There did seem (at least to me) to be a glaring time frame error that I'll discuss in a spoiler:

Spoiler
The female slavery system is attributed to Lephi the last emperor of Cyad. This does not make sense because the long abandonded Cyad cottage near Lornth with the cupridium slave ring was stated to have been there for centuries. While some of the healer magi'i could extend lifetimes, Lephi could not have lived for six or more centuries.

Yes maybe Modesitt does use a "young individual finds magic talents and faces travails" format, but all of his books (and his other book series) have been very enjoyable reading. I have enjoyed how there have been "good" people from every side of his world.

Next up, I'll be starting George Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series which I received as a Mom's day gift from my son
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books