Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 11:47 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,731,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Since I posted last, I've finished all three of the Peter Straub books I mentioned. Thoroughly enjoyed them. Then, yesterday afternoon, I picked up the latest Dean Koontz, 'Relentless'. Man, that thing just grabbed me from the first page! And after the first fifty I knew I was not going to be sleeping last night because I just plain could not put the thing down. I finished it at 4:30 this morning. Wow! What a ride (read?)!
Since I posted the above yesterday, I have also finished Patterson's "Swimsuit" in less than eight hours! Another one I simply could not put down.
Don't currently have any unread new books, so, since I bought my brother the entire Dark Tower series, I've decided to once again reread the series so he and I can discuss it as he reads it. From experience, I know that's going to take me at least a week and a half, probably longer as I don't want to get ahead of him in the series. (As a truck driver who spends the majority of his time on the road, it will probably take him most of the next month to read all seven volumes.) I look forward to the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 11:58 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,477,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
"The Broken Shore, a murder mystery by Australian writer Peter Temple. Seems very literate, good writing, more than just a pot boiler. Just started.
I'm on page 66, and this is a very, very good read. Find it and read it.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,915,421 times
Just finished Amy Tan"s book titled "Saving Fish from Drowning " it was really good . Now I am reading "Little Altars everywhere " it is the preclude to "Divine Secrets of the ya ya sisterhood " both are by rebecca wells . I read divine and it was really good and I am really liking little altars . I really liked saving fish by amy tan it was a great book I really enjoyed it . Please everyone who has not read this please do so .

Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,563,641 times
I just finished "A Grave Denied" by Dana Stabenow. Much better than "Killing Grounds" and "A Taint in the Blood". Faster to read. Considering it's a 16-books series, I'll try to follow the chronological order now on.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:44 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,876,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
I just finished "A Grave Denied" by Dana Stabenow. Much better than "Killing Grounds" and "A Taint in the Blood". Faster to read. Considering it's a 16-books series, I'll try to follow the chronological order now on.
She has another series about an Alaskan State Trooper, which are excellent. There are four books, and the last one came out in '02. I'd heard there was going to be another one in the seriese, but so far, nothing.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:17 PM

256 posts, read 450,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
<SNIP> Now reading "Scarpetta" by Patricia Cornwell. very boring, a great disappointment.
Actually, it took me a while to get into it, but it was more upbeat than the previous several in the series, and I ended up liking it.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:05 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,440,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom View Post
Actually, it took me a while to get into it, but it was more upbeat than the previous several in the series, and I ended up liking it.

I finished it today. I read all the other books she wrote but the one previous to "Scarpetta". I do not know if it is that I have read many beautiful and very well written books in the last couple of years but this time I found her style a bit lacking, with a lot of banal language and a plot quite predictable.

Maybe it is just me changing tastes

Old 07-21-2009, 04:48 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,876,715 times
If you're interested in mysteries, check out Stopyourekillingme.com - it's a fantastic resource for all sorts of mysteries. They're listed by author or by protagonist, and there are specialized lists as well (mysteries by job, by location, etc.).

The magazine Romantic Times Book Review also lists upcoming books in different genres (they break out romance into specialized genres, like historicals, contemporaries, chick-lit, inspirationals, mainstream, erotica, category romances - i.e., Silhouette and Harlequin, and list SF, fantasy, paranormals, suspense, as well). They print short reviews, and feature lists of upcoming books in series, as well as books that will be published a couple of months down the line.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:22 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,180,157 times
I'm reading "Massoud" by Marcella Grad

Old 07-22-2009, 05:55 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,440,739 times
About to start "When food is love" by Geneen Roth. Seems interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books