Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 05:06 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Those of you who enjoyed Still Alice should take a look at this story: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/ma...life.html?_r=0

A tough but worthwhile read.
Thank you for that. I saved it to read for later

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I mostly borrow books from the library or get Kindle 'Freebies'.The way that I save my TBR lists is to use a blank email for each genre,and paste the titles in them and save them in my email 'Drafts' folder.
That's what most of my books are for. BTW, I just found Once Upon a Flock: Life with My Soulful Chickens for 53 cents plus shipping. I may order it this week

Good idea about the draft e-mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Thank you autumn--- I do use the library exclusively. Online ours even has a feature for suggested purchases and I do use that, and they have always purchased my requests . The library does participate in the inter library loans........ but I guess the feature is not online (or apparent to me). In any case thank you so much for explaining and suggesting. I like the email idea because my excel file is not always accessible but the email sure is
Ask at your library if you can access it online. I use mine almost daily to add books to my list and also order books. My library just changed it's system and now I can only order 5 at a time but it's better than none I have over 1600 books on my TR list. I keep them all on Goodreads with categories. I get recommendations from all over, lol.

Speaking of inter library loans my little local library is up and running as of Thursday this past week….yay. I was using a larger library over the state line and I was 589 of 154 for a copy of The Girl On The Train. I ordered it from my little local library on Thursday and picked it up Friday I guess no one wants to read it on Tennessee, lol.

I am about 100 pages in. It's not bad and it flows fairly well. I am not on the edge of my seat or anything but I will finish it today. The characters are a mess. I don't know why it has been compared to Gone Girl. I am not seeing that.

Ooh…I loved Jeffrey Deaver's The bone Collector and will read more of that series
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 05:14 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7
BTW, I just found Once Upon a Flock: Life with My Soulful Chickens for 53 cents plus shipping. I may order it this week
UH-OH Lisa,if you read~"Once Upon a Flock: Life with My Soulful Chickens" I see chicken ownership in your future,lol!

Old 05-17-2015, 12:52 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
UH-OH Lisa,if you read~"Once Upon a Flock: Life with My Soulful Chickens" I see chicken ownership in your future,lol!
I love chickens. We used to have them. If we ever settle in one place again I would love to have them again

Speaking of…here is a freebie for today
http://www.amazon.com/I-T-Geek-Farm-...eener+Pastures

Old 05-17-2015, 02:57 PM

414 posts, read 911,190 times
A few pages back I wrote up a 3rd party recommendation from my SIL's raves about The Martian by Andy Weir. Well I finished it a few days ago. Books like this make me feel slightly illiterate or undereducated? LOL Because I thought it was just okay, contrary to the 7,212 5-star ratings on Amazon!! Too much air/water problems with equations, etc. Maybe just too much (boring) scientific details. Just my opinion, of course. I'd give it maybe 3 stars, certainly not 5.

Just wanted to review a book that I had blindly recommended.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:49 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
Just started The Best American Mystery Stories of 2014. So far, not impressed for it being the best.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:05 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm slightly more than 20% through Trail of Broken Wings and I really wish that it would end already. I don't know if I'm a harsh critic or if all of those reviewers were on mind-altering drugs when they read the book, but our opinions are not meshing. While scanning the reviews before I started reading the book, I saw that a few people talked about a twist in the story. That's the only thing that's keeping me going. It's so over-written -- overly over-written. The characters seem to be saying the same thing over and over (and over and over) again but I'm trying to hang in there until twist-time. It doesn't bode well that I keep fall asleep while reading.
The party's over. I just couldn't bear it anymore. I skimmed through to the end, saw what I think was the twist (whatever), and called it done. Feh.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:34 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Just finished reading all 3 of Thomas Perry's "Butcher's Boy" series--about a Mafia hit man who becomes hunted himself and has an ally in a female Justice Dept analyst along the way...
first is prize winner, second is strong and interesting, third is weakest of the lot but keeps moving...
Not the first time I have read them--more like the 5th--but find comfort in visiting old friends...

Old 05-18-2015, 01:54 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
I love chickens. We used to have them. If we ever settle in one place again I would love to have them again
You are so lucky!

Quote:
Speaking of…here is a freebie for today
http://www.amazon.com/I-T-Geek-Farm-...eener+Pastures
Snagged it,thanks!!!!

I finished ~Miss Julia Hits The Road,and it had some hilarious parts in it- 5-stars.Also 5 -stars
was ~Nothing Like It in the World:The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad, 1863-1869
by Stephen E.Ambrose
really fascinating history.I loved all the info about the industrious Chinese laborers,and the Irish workers and their tendency to strike,plus the info about the conflict with the Indians,but thought he had the typical white superiority attitude,concerning them.
Then I tried ~Ashfall by Mike Mullin,which I had to stop reading because of the graphic gruesome violence and gore.

Also couldn't finish~Miss Pettigrew Lives for A Day by Winnifred Watson,maybe because I watched the fun movie first,but the book just didn't engage me at all.

So now I am reading a gothic romance~The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan Series Book 1)by Jennifer St. Giles.

I have some reserves to pick up from the library including~The Enemy:A Jack Reacher Novel,and 61 Hours:A Reacher Novel both by Lee Child and my first by him,and ~Relic,and
White Fire by Douglas J.Preston
which will be my first by him.Hoping neither of these author's thrillers are too graphically gruesome.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:05 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Thank you for this, Marlow. What a sad article but also a happy one since she was able to select her exit.

Still Alice remains my favorite Lisa Genova book. Since reading it I have read two other books written by her: Left Neglected which deals with a brain injury that leave the person totally unaware of anything on his/her left. I also recently finished her book Inside the O'Briens. This one deals with Huntington's disease. All three are good books with great character development and a lot of information about the medical implications of all three medical issues. I heartily recommend all three books.
Still Alice was too disturbing for me to say I enjoyed it. I'm glad I read it, but it depressed me for days. I appreciate Lisa Genova for making those topics available and understandable in novel form, but I probably won't read her other books.

I'm still really enjoying Deep Down Dark and recommended it if you like non-fiction accounts of people surviving extremely challenging circumstances.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:12 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm reading an old book from 1944 called Green Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge.

Choosing it as my next book to read happened like this:

When I cleaned out my Grandmother's house after her death a few years back, I found this among her books, and she had written inside "this is a very good book! and signed her name. So instead of putting it in the "sell" pile, I kept it. It sat on my shelf for about 6 years.

Last week, I was flicking channels, and saw an old movie called Green Dolphin Street was on TCM. It was nearly over so I didn't watch, but since I'd just finished a book, I took this as a "sign" to read my Grandmom's book next.

So far, I am enjoying it. The author is very descriptive, even to the minute detail, about the setting (Guernsey island in the mid-1800s), which I tend to like, when I know that others don't. I find I'm reading it more slowly than my usual reading pace. I only get in about 10 pages a night, partly because of all the descriptions and imagery, and partly because the font size is small, but the pages are wider, so I end up reading slower, because my eyes are having trouble starting on the proper line after finishing the previous line. I find myself putting my finger on the page.

It's the story of two sisters raised in a wealthy family in the Channel Islands. The older sister is serious, intense, and intellectual, while the younger sister is perpetually happy, innocently good, and beautiful. The older sister is described as sort of scrawny, with dark hair that won't hold any style, sallow skin (the author does overuse "sallow" one too many times), and dark heavy eyebrows. They both fall in love with the same boy, who eventually goes off to New Zealand when they grow up. One day, while drunk, he writes to the girls' father asking for his daughter's hand in marriage, but he erroneously writes the older girl's name and not the younger one, whom he really wants to marry. Then I guess the rest of the story is what happens after the older sister arrives in New Zealand to marry him. I anticipate lots of vivid, detailed descriptions of New Zealand. Oddly, I saw that Lana Turner plays the older sister in the movie. That's weird, because the girl is supposed to be homely, and I kind of think Lana Turner was, well, not homely.

Anyway, I like the vivid descriptions of setting, as well as being privy to the internal thoughts of the older sister.
Background stories like yours I find so interesting! I'm trying to catch up on this thread without commenting until I'm much closer to the most recent post. As you can see, I'm not exactly mastering that! My TBR list has grown tremendously because of this thread; and I'm happy to say I took Gone Girl off the list based on the comments here. Life is too short & my list too long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books