Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 09:25 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Just finished reading all 3 of Thomas Perry's "Butcher's Boy" series--about a Mafia hit man who becomes hunted himself and has an ally in a female Justice Dept analyst along the way...
first is prize winner, second is strong and interesting, third is weakest of the lot but keeps moving...
Not the first time I have read them--more like the 5th--but find comfort in visiting old friends...

Can I ask what the sequence is...book 1,2,3? Thanks. I want to look them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 10:33 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I'm reading This Boy's Life: A Memoir by Tobias Wolff. What a delight. Many thanks to those who recommended it.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:01 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
I finished Mr. Mercedes yesterday afternoon. I enjoyed it very much. The old SK magic was there for that story. I loved the characters (with the exception of Mr Mercedes that is). I have the second book in the series pre-ordered.

I started The Martian as soon as I finished MM and I'm half way through it already. I wasn't sure I would like it but I'm impressed. The main character is the type of person I can relate to in regards to problem solving though his skills are truly incredible. I like how he sees a problem and instead of thinking why he can't do it he thinks of how he can accomplish the task. I can't wait to get home and start reading again!

Old 05-18-2015, 03:19 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,008 times
The Fires of Atlantis - Sam Sisaveth: Book 4 in the Purge of Babylon Series

Old 05-18-2015, 04:33 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
The Fires of Atlantis - Sam Sisaveth: Book 4 in the Purge of Babylon Series
I love that series. Sam writes some really exciting things with a touch of humor between the guys and it is needed so the reader can take a breath from time to time.

alert: That way be zombies.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:00 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm reading a book that I've had on my Kindle for almost a year: We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas.

http://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Not-Our...+not+ourselves

I let it sit there for so long because it felt daunting at 640 pages. But yesterday I thought, well, I read A Little Life and that was 100 pages longer than We Are Not Ourselves so...

Now I feel daunted by it being "the same old" -- Irish family new to New York; daughter gets married; she's not particularly happy; she wants more from life blah blah blah words words words. We've all read this story dozens of times. Then I scanned some reviews and a few of them said that the first half is a bit slow (yes, it is; not bad slow, just "same old, same old" slow) but the second half is a page-turner. So maybe I'll (try to) stick it out.

ETA: I neglected to say, though, that the writing is very fluid. He writes well, I'll give him that.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 05-18-2015 at 07:08 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 07:46 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I finished Mr. Mercedes yesterday afternoon. I enjoyed it very much. The old SK magic was there for that story. I loved the characters (with the exception of Mr Mercedes that is). I have the second book in the series pre-ordered.

I started The Martian as soon as I finished MM and I'm half way through it already. I wasn't sure I would like it but I'm impressed. The main character is the type of person I can relate to in regards to problem solving though his skills are truly incredible. I like how he sees a problem and instead of thinking why he can't do it he thinks of how he can accomplish the task. I can't wait to get home and start reading again!
It took me three tries to get through that book. At first I thought it wasn't my kind of book at all and then I got sucked in. It's really a remarkable book. I think in the beginning I wasn't quite understanding the first person way of writing. If I remember correctly, it's almost more of a 'thinking out loud' way of writing but it worked for me.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:11 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
America in Retreat by Bret Stephen

Old 05-19-2015, 02:40 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I finished Affinities by Robert Charles Wilson. It wasn't one of his best but what I liked about it was the way he described ideas of home and belonging. It was very touching but not in a schmaltzy way.

And in the meantime, I discovered I am not going insane. Last week I had trouble downloading a sample of a book from Amazon. No matter where I tried to download it from, my laptop or the Kindle or the iPad, it would simply not download. I checked the facts section and rebooted my Kindle to no avail. And it never showed up either in my account in Amazon.

I contacted Amazon via their live chat and after having me turn off the wifi, turn on the wifi, etc, etc, and all other manner of things, they finally told me to deregister my account and then sign back in. So I did that and then the sample downloaded. And just tonight it happened again. I was browsing on my ipad and came across some books I really wanted to read and had the samples delivered to my Kindle - or so I thought. Except they didn't. And I have no idea what books they were. So this is clearly some kind of reoccurring problem. And of course I didn't have the history since I didn't have the browser set to record the history.

And now I'm wondering if that could have happened to that book I thought was going to be released on April 14th but later couldn't find in my Wish List - maybe it never added itself but I remembered the date?

I'm going to have to try and jot notes down or immediately check after adding a book or downloading a sample to make sure that it is actually doing what it is meant to do.

And then after reading two pages of a genuinely awful book that must have been a free download otherwise I don't know what would have possessed me to get it, given that it is an unknown author and I have the entire book and not just the sample, I have started a non-fiction book, The Road is How. The author takes a walk down an ordinary prairie road just because. I have always wanted to do that.
The Road is How: Three Days Afoot Through Nature, Eros, and Soul: Trevor Herriot: 9780062385758: Amazon.com: Books

It's only 1.89 for the Kindle right now so I also have the entire book at that price. It seems promising.

From the book, in reference to Gabriel Marcel's description of man as Homo viator (man, the pilgrim): Most of us try simpler journeys, but the seeking is the same: a search for heart, a steadfast spirit, peace of mind, a soul worthy of an altar, or an altar worthy of the soul.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:43 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I am almost finished with Left Neglected by Lisa Genova and I really like it. It's about a woman who is in an accident and she has a bizarre medical condition called left neglect where nothing on her left side exists to her.(left side of her body, left side of a room, or left side of a book) I love reading Lisa Genova's books to learn more about different medical conditions. They are sad but I believe they give us insight to some medical conditions and how it is to live with them. I find the mind and medical fascinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books