Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 06:53 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

I finished The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult last night. Another one of hers I enjoyed a great deal.

I plan to start Left Neglected later today and will also be listening more to Between Shades of Gray when I walk this evening. Hoping to finish that one up soon. Also enjoyable. It is WWII in Russia (Lithuanian girl and her family taken by Soviets and sent to Siberia).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 10:40 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It took me three tries to get through that book. At first I thought it wasn't my kind of book at all and then I got sucked in. It's really a remarkable book. I think in the beginning I wasn't quite understanding the first person way of writing. If I remember correctly, it's almost more of a 'thinking out loud' way of writing but it worked for me.
Exactly! I loved his sense of humor and the book just grabbed me. I am a problem solver so that part of the story spoke to me. I do wish that I were about a percentage as intelligent as Mark. Anyway it is a story that is well written and it just sucked me in. I should be able to finish it tonight!

Old 05-19-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
UH-OH Lisa,if you read~"Once Upon a Flock: Life with My Soulful Chickens" I see chicken ownership in your future,lol!
I am a chicken lover too and loved "Once Upon a Flock". It was a super quick read but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I kept reading excerpts to my husband.

We have twenty two hens and a rooster named Buddy. Our first rooster was named Brewster and he was bad to the bone. He went after me one too many times and was promptly dispatched to freezer camp!

Old 05-19-2015, 10:51 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I finished The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult last night. Another one of hers I enjoyed a great deal.

I plan to start Left Neglected later today and will also be listening more to Between Shades of Gray when I walk this evening. Hoping to finish that one up soon. Also enjoyable. It is WWII in Russia (Lithuanian girl and her family taken by Soviets and sent to Siberia).
I'm thinking of setting aside Left Neglected for now. The Storyteller was an emotionally heavy book for me, so I might just find something lighter and set aside LN for now.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hahaha! You and I are the same person. I get a bunch of books... don't read them. I get super-excited about a book's release and then, when I finally get it... totally disinterested.

I just looked to see if Trail of Broken Wings is lendable via the Kindle... nope. I would have sent it to you via Amazon lending... so that you could not read it.
Dawn, I do exactly the same thing. I had an email from Pixel of Ink that had a book I thought sounded interesting I bought it even though I'm not finished with my current book. Before I left Amazon I found another book that piqued my interest and bought that one too. Probably 30% of books on my Kindle are ones that I haven't read. I sure wish Amazon gave you the ability to check books off that you've completed rather than having to open it to see if your at the end or the beginning of a book.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:59 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Dawn, I do exactly the same thing. I had an email from Pixel of Ink that had a book I thought sounded interesting I bought it even though I'm not finished with my current book. Before I left Amazon I found another book that piqued my interest and bought that one too. Probably 30% of books on my Kindle are ones that I haven't read. I sure wish Amazon gave you the ability to check books off that you've completed rather than having to open it to see if your at the end or the beginning of a book.
You know what Amazon is like? (And this is from a non-drinker.) It's like drunk-dialing. There should be safeguards to prevent you (well, ME) from continuing to buy stuff so easily. I need multiple checkouts:

1. Are you sure you want to buy this?
2. Read the synopsis again. We'll wait. Are you still sure?
3. Hang on, why don't you scan some reviews (we know you don't READ them, so just scan them). You're back? Hmmm. You're still intent on buying this one?
4. Did you check to see if your library has this book before you drop $$ on it? They don't? Fine. You want to BUY it?
5. Okay, this is your last chance. This is your conscience speaking. Do you really, really, REALLY want this book?

Old 05-19-2015, 11:16 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
I just read the second and third books of The Last Policeman trilogy by Ben H. Winters over the weekend. I thought the first book was good, but the second two really surpassed the initial offering and flesh out the concept very well. (The concept is that an asteroid is about to hit the Earth and the narrator and main character is a policeman who just got promoted to detective because of attrition brought about by the impending doom.)

Definitely worth reading.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
You know what Amazon is like? (And this is from a non-drinker.) It's like drunk-dialing. There should be safeguards to prevent you (well, ME) from continuing to buy stuff so easily. I need multiple checkouts:

1. Are you sure you want to buy this?
2. Read the synopsis again. We'll wait. Are you still sure?
3. Hang on, why don't you scan some reviews (we know you don't READ them, so just scan them). You're back? Hmmm. You're still intent on buying this one?
4. Did you check to see if your library has this book before you drop $$ on it? They don't? Fine. You want to BUY it?
5. Okay, this is your last chance. This is your conscience speaking. Do you really, really, REALLY want this book?
Dawn you crack me up! Amazon IS my crack! I think I have a reputation on Amazon, I swear I should own stock in the company.

When I purchased The Nightingale I accidentally bought the synopsis because it was cheap (really I just didn't read it thoroughly, I thought I was buying the full thing). Well I looked all over for that bought by accident button and I guess since it wasn't an Amazon publication I couldn't return it. It did make me wonder though why anyone would purchase a synopsis. I mean really, does anyone honestly hate reading so much that they would spend good money to get out of reading?

Old 05-19-2015, 11:42 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Dawn you crack me up! Amazon IS my crack! I think I have a reputation on Amazon, I swear I should own stock in the company.

When I purchased The Nightingale I accidentally bought the synopsis because it was cheap (really I just didn't read it thoroughly, I thought I was buying the full thing). Well I looked all over for that bought by accident button and I guess since it wasn't an Amazon publication I couldn't return it. It did make me wonder though why anyone would purchase a synopsis. I mean really, does anyone honestly hate reading so much that they would spend good money to get out of reading?
You can buy a synopsis? That's hilarious! And totally weird. But YAY!, I discovered something that I won't buy on Amazon. Finally!

Old 05-19-2015, 01:00 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I just read the second and third books of The Last Policeman trilogy by Ben H. Winters over the weekend. I thought the first book was good, but the second two really surpassed the initial offering and flesh out the concept very well. (The concept is that an asteroid is about to hit the Earth and the narrator and main character is a policeman who just got promoted to detective because of attrition brought about by the impending doom.)

Definitely worth reading.
This sounds sooooo good. I just downloaded the first book in the series. Thanks for recommending it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books