Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 01:03 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I am almost finished with Left Neglected by Lisa Genova and I really like it. It's about a woman who is in an accident and she has a bizarre medical condition called left neglect where nothing on her left side exists to her.(left side of her body, left side of a room, or left side of a book) I love reading Lisa Genova's books to learn more about different medical conditions. They are sad but I believe they give us insight to some medical conditions and how it is to live with them. I find the mind and medical fascinating.
She is one of my favorite authors. I finished Inside the O'Briens recently. It deals with Huntington's disease. Genova amazes me with the way she can tell the reader about medical issues in a manner that I can understand. I think you would like this one, too, Lisa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 02:13 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,610 times
Finished up Game of Thrones and will start on Clash of Kings tonight. Not at all fond of Martin's style of writing - his use of names as sentences drives me up a wall so I quickly jump over those. Think I was looking for something more along the lines of Stephen J. Cannell or Sidney Sheldon's style of writing.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:55 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
When this book was published I was way too young to read it, but I think I'll give it a whirl, Kindle special, for $2.99

Hotel by Alex Hailey

Old 05-20-2015, 07:35 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I am a chicken lover too and loved "Once Upon a Flock". It was a super quick read but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I kept reading excerpts to my husband.

We have twenty two hens and a rooster named Buddy. Our first rooster was named Brewster and he was bad to the bone. He went after me one too many times and was promptly dispatched to freezer camp!
I love chickens Have you read Buddy: How a Rooster Made Me a Family Man? That one is also on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I'm thinking of setting aside Left Neglected for now. The Storyteller was an emotionally heavy book for me, so I might just find something lighter and set aside LN for now.
Both excellent books. I can see taking a break. Try a YA book

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
You know what Amazon is like? (And this is from a non-drinker.) It's like drunk-dialing. There should be safeguards to prevent you (well, ME) from continuing to buy stuff so easily. I need multiple checkouts:

1. Are you sure you want to buy this?
2. Read the synopsis again. We'll wait. Are you still sure?
3. Hang on, why don't you scan some reviews (we know you don't READ them, so just scan them). You're back? Hmmm. You're still intent on buying this one?
4. Did you check to see if your library has this book before you drop $$ on it? They don't? Fine. You want to BUY it?
5. Okay, this is your last chance. This is your conscience speaking. Do you really, really, REALLY want this book?
LOL…or you could be like me…cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
She is one of my favorite authors. I finished Inside the O'Briens recently. It deals with Huntington's disease. Genova amazes me with the way she can tell the reader about medical issues in a manner that I can understand. I think you would like this one, too, Lisa.
I am on the long wait list at my library. Have you read Love Anthony? I can get that one.

I just finished Breakfast at Tiffany's. Sad girl and sad life.

I have to concentrate on reading my "next due" books from the library. So next up for me will be:

Red Queen
Amazon.com: Red Queen eBook: Victoria Aveyard: Books

Dead Wake
http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Wake-Last...ke+erik+larson

Ruby Red
Amazon.com: Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy Book 1) eBook: Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell: Books

Everything I Never Told You
http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Nev...never+told+you

Old 05-20-2015, 08:56 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:

I am on the long wait list at my library. Have you read Love Anthony? I can get that one.

I have not read it, Lisa. I went to amazon to take a look and I was surprised because I found I had bought it in 2013. It's still on my kindle and unread by me. So, I'll be reading it soon.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:13 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
When this book was published I was way too young to read it, but I think I'll give it a whirl, Kindle special, for $2.99

Hotel by Alex Hailey
That would be Arthur Hailey...getting authors mixed up

Old 05-20-2015, 09:26 AM

496 posts, read 395,293 times
Quote:
I love chickens Have you read Buddy: How a Rooster Made Me a Family Man? That one is also on my list.

LOL…or you could be like me…cheap

I just finished Breakfast at Tiffany's. Sad girl and sad life.

I have to concentrate on reading my "next due" books from the library. So next up for me will be:

Red Queen
Amazon.com: Red Queen eBook: Victoria Aveyard: Books

Dead Wake
Amazon.com: Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania eBook: Erik Larson: Books

Ruby Red
Amazon.com: Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy Book 1) eBook: Kerstin Gier, Anthea Bell: Books

Everything I Never Told You
http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Nev...never+told+you
Lisa, I haven't read that book but our new rooster's name is Buddy! He is a Welsummer and is gorgeous. he's also a lot tamer than Brewster was. I hope he stays calm because I don't think I have the heart to go through another rooster travail.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:56 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
I'm on the hold list for a book at the library that is due back Saturday. I'm anxious to start that one so I'm not sure if I'll read anything before that one, although I am slowly reading a book by Amanda Cabot that I can enjoy before the library book gets here. Just hoping whoever has it out now remembers to return it on time.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:16 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm reading a book that I've had on my Kindle for almost a year: We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas.

Amazon.com: We Are Not Ourselves: A Novel (9781476756660): Matthew Thomas: Books

I let it sit there for so long because it felt daunting at 640 pages. But yesterday I thought, well, I read A Little Life and that was 100 pages longer than We Are Not Ourselves so...

Now I feel daunted by it being "the same old" -- Irish family new to New York; daughter gets married; she's not particularly happy; she wants more from life blah blah blah words words words. We've all read this story dozens of times. Then I scanned some reviews and a few of them said that the first half is a bit slow (yes, it is; not bad slow, just "same old, same old" slow) but the second half is a page-turner. So maybe I'll (try to) stick it out.

ETA: I neglected to say, though, that the writing is very fluid. He writes well, I'll give him that.
I'm at 32% and I'm really quite enjoying this. We quickly made it from the "old days" to contemporary (close to present time) and I'm finding the characters to be very interesting. There are layers and layers to each of the main characters and I'm enjoying watching them being peeled back.

I don't know how this book -- this type of story -- can become a page-turner in the second half (it's a quiet story) like some reviewers said, but that doesn't matter. I'm just enjoying the process. Even if it stays quiet until the end, I'm more than good with that.

The author is really a beautiful writer.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:33 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Im currently reading "Lincolns bodyguard " by TJ Turner . so far it is okay I just started it and so far it is okay . I will be back to give a review of what I think . Btw I finished "The Boston Girl " in two sittings yes it was that good . I have not had a book that good in a long time .

Last edited by phonelady61; 05-20-2015 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books