Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 01:53 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times

Advertisements

The Gothic romance ~The Mistress of Trevelyan was just too ridiculous to continue!
The heroine~Ann Lovell ,about wets her panties if her boss even looks at her,let alone if he stands nearby or touches her,and she has one lustful thought after another! I got tired of rolling my eyes,and couldn't stand her,so gave up.

Now I'm reading ~CUTTER'S GROVE by Patrick Dakin [got as a Kindle freebie]which is a paranormal ghost-story/mystery and I am really enjoying it.It is pretty creepy,but the author also has a great sense of humor,so it is also very funny. Only the second time in my life[along with the YA paranormal fantasy/sci-fi book]-House of Dark Shadows(Dreamhouse Kings #1)by Robert Liparulo] where I laughed out loud at the same time that my hair was standing on end,a genius blend of genuine creepiness with hilarity!

Stranded one night during a violent sandstorm in the California desert, Lucas Tunney sees something that scares him senseless. Was it really the ghost of a young child that appeared to him through the swirling mass of dust and debris, or was the vision simply a figment of his imagination, brought on by stress and exhaustion? Although almost sure the sighting was genuine, there remains a lingering doubt.
After he's rescued by an accommodating motorist, Lucas accepts an offer of employment in the nearby town of Cutter's Grove. A few weeks later he's told about the mysterious disappearance of an eleven-year-old girl that took place a year earlier. Shown a picture of the missing child Lucas suddenly realizes his experience in the desert was, indeed, real.
But now he's faced with the problem of what to do with this knowledge. Going to the authorities is out of the question. He'll be locked up for sure based on irrefutable evidence of insanity if he starts expounding on the existence of ghosts. It seems he has little choice in the matter - he has to try to determine the circumstances surrounding the girl's fate on his own and, in the process, learn who might have been responsible.
Lucas' search for answers will leave him questioning everything he thought he knew and will forever change his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 04:41 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I am so pathetic. First Dawn woos me with We Are Not Ourselves and then you post that The Boston Girl was a two sitting book. Now I have to look for that one too.

Ha, same here. I already had We Are Not Ourselves on my list for about a year but I forgot about it. I just added The Boston Girl. Hopefully they don't get buried in the pile but they probably will, lol.

For those of you who do audio books…what kind of listening device do you use?

Old 05-21-2015, 04:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Snort!
Tigerlily? See? She LOVES it!

Old 05-21-2015, 06:02 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Has anyone ever got a message like this from their libraries? The previous message announced readers may experience difficulties in downloading.
I believe nitwit was experiencing some downloading difficulties.

Between 6:00 - 8:00 AM US ET on May 21, users may not be able to download titles. We apologize for the inconvenience.
I saw that yesterday on my library's site too (in Minnesota).

Old 05-21-2015, 07:00 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm at 32% and I'm really quite enjoying this. We quickly made it from the "old days" to contemporary (close to present time) and I'm finding the characters to be very interesting. There are layers and layers to each of the main characters and I'm enjoying watching them being peeled back.

I don't know how this book -- this type of story -- can become a page-turner in the second half (it's a quiet story) like some reviewers said, but that doesn't matter. I'm just enjoying the process. Even if it stays quiet until the end, I'm more than good with that.

The author is really a beautiful writer.
Added to my "Want to Read" list on Goodreads. Thanks!

Old 05-21-2015, 07:13 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I just finished reading "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Picoult. It was an excellent read, but quite disturbing.
I thought it was very good.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:30 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Tigerlily? See? She LOVES it!
Was that a happy snort? I'm not good at interpreting emoticons. Lol

Old 05-21-2015, 08:21 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Ha, same here. I already had We Are Not Ourselves on my list for about a year but I forgot about it. I just added The Boston Girl. Hopefully they don't get buried in the pile but they probably will, lol.

I find myself seeing a title on my Kindle and having no clue what it's even about after months of being buried among other downloads. I quite often go to Amazon and look the book up to see what intrigued me about it in the first place. Amazon, apparently knowing that I share net wit's other name, reminds me that I have already purchased the title.

I don't do audio books yet but I will as soon as I retire. I find my elliptical to be mind numbingly boring so I plan on audio books to keep my work out from being unadulterated torture. I will probably just download it to my iPad.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:27 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
I finished The Martian last night. I enjoyed it and would recommend it if you aren't put off by a lot of scientific jargon. IMO, Mr Weir has talent to be able to tell a story like this and keep the reader's attention.

It was 11:30 until I finished TM so I won't start We Are Not Ourselves until this evening and will follow that with The Boston Girl. Thanks Dawn and Phonelady!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:30 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I use my tablet because I just haven't downloaded Overdrive to my phone yet. It is kind of bulky (although it is a small tablet) to carry when I'm walking, but it works so I'm okay with it.

I decided instead of continuing with my Amanda Cabot book (which I am enjoying but apparently am more intrigued with other books at the moment) to read One Summer by David Baldacci. This is one I own. Recently hubby won a GC for B&N and he gave it to me (woot woot), so yesterday we happened to go to the mall and I had it with and bought The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Rachel Joyce) and Six Years by Harlan Coben. It only cost me $2.55 to get both (hardcover) so even if I don't enjoy them it wasn't much of a loss financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books