Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 01:28 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,563,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
If you're interested in mysteries, check out Stopyourekillingme.com - it's a fantastic resource for all sorts of mysteries. They're listed by author or by protagonist, and there are specialized lists as well (mysteries by job, by location, etc.).
I love mysteries. I was checking the site yesterday. It's great, with lots of books to look for. Thanks for sharing.

I'm reading "Last known address" by Theresa Schwegel. Page 60 and I'm not "buying" the story. I don't think I'll wait until page 300 for the book to be interesting, like "A Person of Interest".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 PM

256 posts, read 449,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
If you're interested in mysteries, check out Stopyourekillingme.com - it's a fantastic resource for all sorts of mysteries. They're listed by author or by protagonist, and there are specialized lists as well (mysteries by job, by location, etc.).

The magazine Romantic Times Book Review also lists upcoming books in different genres (they break out romance into specialized genres, like historicals, contemporaries, chick-lit, inspirationals, mainstream, erotica, category romances - i.e., Silhouette and Harlequin, and list SF, fantasy, paranormals, suspense, as well). They print short reviews, and feature lists of upcoming books in series, as well as books that will be published a couple of months down the line.
Kathy, thanks loads for that reference! I went there and discovered ALL Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books! I'm making a list of the ones we are missing and will try to find them at various used book outlets. Wish someone would republish them!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:14 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,876,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
I love mysteries. I was checking the site yesterday. It's great, with lots of books to look for. Thanks for sharing.
Glad to be of assistance.

What type of mysteries do you prefer?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:17 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,876,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom View Post
Kathy, thanks loads for that reference! I went there and discovered ALL Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books! I'm making a list of the ones we are missing and will try to find them at various used book outlets. Wish someone would republish them!
I'm glad I was able to help.

I generally order used books online (the only used bookstore we had here closed when the owner died several years ago, and no one took it over) -- my first choice is barnesandnoble.com, because if I go through Mr. Rebates first, I get a 3% rebate to my PayPal account (Amazon doesn't give rebates).

Old 07-23-2009, 02:26 PM

223 posts, read 528,490 times
Just finished James Patterson's 'Swimsuit"....ehhhhh....It was entertaining. Looking for something different to read. Not sure what direction I am headed in yet......

Old 07-23-2009, 03:24 PM

338 posts, read 318,309 times
Just finished The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber. Now I'm reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies--has anyone else read this?

Old 07-23-2009, 03:43 PM

223 posts, read 528,490 times
I have read a lot of reviews of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and they are all extremely favorable. I am not a huge Jane Austin fan, so I have not dove in yet......

Old 07-24-2009, 08:53 AM

338 posts, read 318,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez181 View Post
I have read a lot of reviews of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and they are all extremely favorable. I am not a huge Jane Austin fan, so I have not dove in yet......

Not a Jane Austen fan either....so I do not know how comparable/compatible this book is to the original. It is a fairly interesting read.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:57 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,454,108 times
A book about singer/songwriters by Bob Sarlin, who uses the term "songpoet" to describe his subjects. Yet feels that only rockers can classify as "songpoets". Leonard Cohen? You're out of luck. You don't "rock".

Old 07-24-2009, 09:01 AM

363 posts, read 1,139,871 times
About to start Hope's Boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books