Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 10:30 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times

Advertisements

I'm reading Underground in Berlin by Marie Jalowicz Simon. http://www.amazon.com/Underground-Be...ound+in+berlin I see that it's not yet available in the US but it's the story of a young Jewish woman who passed for not Jewish during the second World War. I read a review in the paper about it. I normally avoid all books that are set in or during the second World War because I read enough of that when I was younger but every so often I hear about a book that comes at the story from a new angle. The woman's son taped his interviews with his mother and 3 weeks after completing the last interview, she died, having told her story.

I read the sample and it was great so I bought it.

ETA: It seems that there is a hardcover released in February for the US market, called Gone to Ground. It doesn't appear to have a Kindle edition though and it seems that the only difference between this one and the one above is that the one above has an afterword by her son. http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Ground-Ex...3RG4MEP70VGCYP Same translator but it seems a little odd that the same book would be released in the same year, just slightly different.... What am I missing?

Last edited by netwit; 05-24-2015 at 10:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 10:45 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,411,860 times
Peter Straub's Shadowland. A young man spends the summer with his unpredictable, and possibly dangerous, magician uncle and loses his sense of reality. But what he experiences is very real to him indeed, echoes his childhood and will shape his life.

It's a dark fantasy novel with unforgettable characters. Mr. Straub writes scenes that are both beautiful and indelible.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:55 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
I'm still reading We Are Not Ourselves (by Matthew Thomas). I'm at 82%. It's lovely. I'm not sure what those reviewers were talking about when they said that the second half is a page-turner. It's not a page-turner -- it's a life. It's a quiet telling of a couple's life. It's not dramatic, it's not mind-blowing, it's just life. Life. There's sadness, sure. But again, it's life. That's not a complaint, don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying it very much. Matthew Thomas is a beautiful writer.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
I just finished We Are Not Ourselves (by Matthew Thomas), which made for an emotional day. Today marks one year since my Dad died and the last part of this book brought a lot of feelings to the surface. GAH!

Anyway.

It was a lovely book. It was written beautifully, in a quiet voice.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:00 PM

179 posts, read 149,606 times
Full Tilt by Rick Mofina; it was "available now" from the library. It is a quick read, although it ended abruptly in my opinion. I'm looking for more books by Mr. Mofina.

Without giving it away....A reporter, Kate, survived tragedies in her youth has been searching for her younger sister, Vanessa, for years. Possible evidence of Vanessa'so existence is found at a horrific crime scene, a burned barn with several dead bodies. Kate is shut out of the investigation by officials, so she does her own investigation. As more victims are found, Kate is on an emotional roller coaster awaiting information If her sister is one of them. Kate's investigation takes her to Alberta, Chicago, Minnesota...more victims are found, the captor is still at large. Did Vanessa die years ago? Or is she a victim of the madman? Or is she still alive?

You will have to read it to find out. Enjoy!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:44 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Holly-Kay, We Are Not Ourselves is terrific.

I am about 400 pages into A Little Life. The book is draining me. I feel like I could pass a PhD dissertation about cutting---the graphic details are more than I wanted/needed to know. It's a well-written book, but not beautifully written---can't quite put my finger on the difference, but I feel like that's the case. When I finish it, I'm hoping that y'all who have read it will discuss it briefly with me---no one IRL has even heard of the book! I don't belong to a book club, but can't picture this being discussed....
I know the feeling. I was the one who started the A Little Life kick but couldn't have finished ( and stayed sane) without Ketchaba and Dawn. PM me whenever you need to. I'm just a few key strokes away!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:48 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,991 times
Thanks, Pinetree. I will take you up on your offer. What book did you follow A Little Life with? I don't read chick lit, but I could almost see where that would be a welcome (and much needed) relief. Funny, my husband never complains of feeling badly after reading a gruesome murder mystery, but I feel like I am going through the wringer with this---and here I thought I was just going to read a standard book about some college kids and their relatively undramatic lives...

Old 05-24-2015, 08:07 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Thanks, Pinetree. I will take you up on your offer. What book did you follow A Little Life with? I don't read chick lit, but I could almost see where that would be a welcome (and much needed) relief. Funny, my husband never complains of feeling badly after reading a gruesome murder mystery, but I feel like I am going through the wringer with this---and here I thought I was just going to read a standard book about some college kids and their relatively undramatic lives...
I followed it up with Dead Wake by Erik Larson. Historical fiction about the sinking of the Luisitania. Mind occupying and mind clearing.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:37 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I followed it up with Dead Wake by Erik Larson. Historical fiction about the sinking of the Luisitania. Mind occupying and mind clearing.
I will be finishing that today. What a wonderful book, well not the content, but I love the writing and how detailed the events are. I love when a book makes me want to look up details. Erik Larson should have been a history teacher.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:39 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just finished We Are Not Ourselves (by Matthew Thomas), which made for an emotional day. Today marks one year since my Dad died and the last part of this book brought a lot of feelings to the surface. GAH!

Anyway.

It was a lovely book. It was written beautifully, in a quiet voice.
I am first on the hold list for it at my library and I'm sure glad I don't have it right now. Granted 1 year is way different than the 14 years for my dad, but it was the anniversary on Saturday. (Today is the anniversary of my grandpa's passing - my dad's dad. 19 years for him.) There is a book out there called Fatherless Daughters. I didn't read it but my sisters both did. I know my eldest sister appreciated the book a great deal. There is also Motherless Daughters which I bought for a friend after her mom passed.

Sending you big hugs since you need one (whether you think so or not ). Now you need to find something fun and that makes you laugh. Something short but not a short story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books