Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2015, 06:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I am first on the hold list for it at my library and I'm sure glad I don't have it right now. Granted 1 year is way different than the 14 years for my dad, but it was the anniversary on Saturday. (Today is the anniversary of my grandpa's passing - my dad's dad. 19 years for him.) There is a book out there called Fatherless Daughters. I didn't read it but my sisters both did. I know my eldest sister appreciated the book a great deal. There is also Motherless Daughters which I bought for a friend after her mom passed.

Sending you big hugs since you need one (whether you think so or not ). Now you need to find something fun and that makes you laugh. Something short but not a short story.
Thank you! Hugs right back to you -- nobody ever stops needing (or wanting) them, right?

I read Motherless Daughters a long time ago. I didn't know there was a book called Fatherless Daughters. Anyway, I'm going to pass on it... for now. (But I'll look it up later today. Of course I will.)

xxo

PS. Hahahaha!!! @ "but not a short story"

PPS. Huh. I don't know why I assumed that Fatherless Daughters would be written by the same author as Motherless Daughters (which was written by Hope Edelman). That was a silly assumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 08:02 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Thank you! Hugs right back to you -- nobody ever stops needing (or wanting) them, right?

I read Motherless Daughters a long time ago. I didn't know there was a book called Fatherless Daughters. Anyway, I'm going to pass on it... for now. (But I'll look it up later today. Of course I will.)

xxo

PS. Hahahaha!!! @ "but not a short story"

PPS. Huh. I don't know why I assumed that Fatherless Daughters would be written by the same author as Motherless Daughters (which was written by Hope Edelman). That was a silly assumption.
Thank you. No we don't.

I was supposed to get to read Fatherless Daughters but it never got passed on to me and then it just sort of got filed to the TBR someday file.

I don't think that is a silly assumption.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:07 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
I just read The Headmaster's Wife - it was OK. It had an interesting plot twist, but the characters were so poorly developed overall that it wasn't a great book.

I'm currently reading The Stranger - pretty enjoyable read for a holiday weekend.

Next up - We are Not Ourselves.

Traveling for work is giving me more reading time which I'm really enjoying. I'm doing a better job of not turning on the TV as soon as I hit the hotel room and watching mindless hours of HGTV!

Old 05-25-2015, 12:42 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Wow Pinetree Lover glad you are getting more reading time in . Im getting ready to read The book of strange new things recommended to me by someone and I will come back and tell how I liked it .

Old 05-25-2015, 12:49 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
The Almost Nearly Perfect People, by Michael Booth. About Scandinavia. Pretty funny but probably truthful.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:54 PM

There's a new book out called The Making of Zombie Wars. It's by someone named Aleksandar Hemon.

No, I'm not reading that.

But Amazon is like one of those click-bait articles. So I found this:

The Book of My Lives - Kindle edition by Aleksandar Hemon. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

The Book of My Lives by, you guessed it, Aleksandar Hemon.

It sounds fabulous. And if the reviews -- the editorial reviews, firstly, and then the reader reviews -- are correct, then it is fabulous. I'll let you know what I think.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
There's a new book out called The Making of Zombie Wars. It's by someone named Aleksandar Hemon.

No, I'm not reading that.

But Amazon is like one of those click-bait articles. So I found this:

The Book of My Lives - Kindle edition by Aleksandar Hemon. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

The Book of My Lives by, you guessed it, Aleksandar Hemon.

It sounds fabulous. And if the reviews -- the editorial reviews, firstly, and then the reader reviews -- are correct, then it is fabulous. I'll let you know what I think.
I'm hating it.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:55 PM

I'll try something else then!

I'm going to try The Nobodies Album by Carolyn Parkhurst. It's been on my Kindle for years, but the plot didn't wow me so it sat there. It still doesn't wow me. But the plot of The Dogs of Babel (also by her) didn't lure me either... and then I read it... and I loved her writing style so much that -- shocking, I know! -- I sent her an email. (She wrote back. She's lovely.)

Anyway, The Dogs of Babel was written -- and read -- in 2003. That a lot of years ago. I hope that I still enjoy her writing style and that The Nobodies Album is (at least somewhat) good.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:24 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,193 times
The part of my brain that governs my interest in reading had been in a coma for quite a while but it has finally woken up. I was casting about for something to read and decided to do a re-read of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo since I didn't remember anything about it. The reason I didn't remember is that somehow I never read it, even though it has been on the shelf for years. Loved it and followed it with the second of the trilogy and I'm 3/4 of the way through that. I also stopped at the library and got the final book.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:50 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,164 times
Was disappointed in Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford, found it boring and not engaging,and having the same problem with~The Dancing Floor by Barbara Michaels.
Next going to try the nonfiction~Savage Continent:Europe in the Aftermath of World War II by Keith Lowe .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books