Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 09:34 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,238,228 times

Advertisements

Hmm…yup you are all right. That was "supposed" to be a print from a picture.

Anyway…here is Wes with his dog friend when he was a baby:

And as an adult:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 09:41 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,783,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
That sounds good and is going on my list. Thanks!

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but are you sure that's not a toy? Those feet look like pink plush material.

Yep,those pink feet,lol! The owl book does sound great though,and I am a fan of owls,so it went on my to read soon list!

Wow Lisa he's beautiful! Hope you are enjoying your vacation.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:01 PM

496 posts, read 389,304 times
I started The Governor's Wife last night. I am 10% through and so bored that I don't think I will bother to continue. So if I don't get more into the story tonight I'm going to read Boston Girl next.

Dawn, yes I finished We Are Not Ourselves before the holiday weekend was over. I was very impressed with the author's vocabulary. He used words that are almost never seen in modern literature.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:10 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I started The Governor's Wife last night. I am 10% through and so bored that I don't think I will bother to continue. So if I don't get more into the story tonight I'm going to read Boston Girl next.

Dawn, yes I finished We Are Not Ourselves before the holiday weekend was over. I was very impressed with the author's vocabulary. He used words that are almost never seen in modern literature.
I don't want to sway you re: The Boston Girl, but I don't think I even bothered getting to 10% on that one. Maybe there was a good story there, I don't know, but -- in my opinion -- the writing was flat.

As for We Are Not Ourselves, yes, the vocabulary was extraordinary BUT not pretentious. It was so completely and utterly readable without it being flat (see above) or over the top or difficult.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:30 PM

443 posts, read 431,024 times
I just finished The Pillars of the Earth and loved it. I'm eagerly waiting to pick up World Without End from the library.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:56 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,070,847 times
Lisa, the owl is magnificent.

Just finished A Little Life. Couldn't even cry at the end---it was just a relief to finish it. Not sure what to read next---this put a whole new spin on reading for pleasure since it was not at all pleasurable...

Old 05-27-2015, 04:45 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
I finished This Boy's Life by Tobias Wolff a few days ago. I enjoyed it. He's an excellent writer. He certainly was a rascal when he was growing up but I probably would have been, too, with such a despicable stepfather. I plan to read his follow up memoir Old School soon.

I just finished At God's Mercy: Jewish Mystery Fiction by L. L. Fine and Julie Phelps. I enjoy researching Jewish history and even a work of fiction can add to my knowledge. Just look at what Leon Uris' books did in that arena. This book moves back and forth between the end of WWII in Poland and present day in Brooklyn, NY. I liked the book. It's not a literary phenomenon but it is extremely well edited and it flows nicely while unwinding the mystery.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:57 PM

7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Lisa, the owl is magnificent.

Just finished A Little Life. Couldn't even cry at the end---it was just a relief to finish it. Not sure what to read next---this put a whole new spin on reading for pleasure since it was not at all pleasurable...
Yes, that's how I felt about A Little Life. I gave it five stars because I think that to have made anything coherent out of those people was an amazing feat but I just wanted to get through it. And later I thought that I didn't feel sorry for any of the characters, because the writer had rung that dish towel dry.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:33 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
I finished The Nobodies Album. I have mixed feelings about it. I love the way that Carolyn Parkhurst writes but:

1. It was -- at its core -- a mystery, and I don't like mysteries. There was a lot of family drama issues (I do like that) but the mystery aspect felt bigger than that at times.

2. She made mistakes that, to me, were glaring: At one point, Octavia said that she might lay on the hotel bed and write a movie (her character is an author) when she meant to say that she could watch a movie. It wasn't done on purpose; it was a mistake. I'm not sure why it bothered me so much. Maybe because it was so sloppy. The second was, in telling a story about these falling ducklings, she said that she and some other observers broke their falls so that they wouldn't hit the pavement quite so hard. She said something like "we might not have saved their lives but they were less harmed than they would have been." (The ducks all walked away afterwards.) No. If they were less harmed (and walked away), then you DID save their lives.

3. It was never explained who called the police to alert them that there was a crime. If you read the book, you'll understand why this is so puzzling to me -- it would have had to have been the killer.

Anyway.

I can't say that I'd recommend this book for its story. I liked the way Parkhurst wrote The Dogs of Babel (which I read a dozen years ago) and so, all these years later, I figured that I'd read this one. I still love her writing style but I can't say that I loved this book. I wonder if I'd even like The Dogs of Babel now.

PS. The thing that I thought would be gimmicky? The retelling of Octavia's book's last chapters with alternate endings? I really enjoyed that.

ETA: Next up is Safekeeping by Abigail Thomas. She makes me smile and she makes me sad and, either way, she soothes me. This is one of her older ones, but I've never read it. I only read her non-fiction; the snippets of her life. It always feels like she keeps calling me on the phone to tell me these little tidbits and then hangs up... until the next story.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 05-27-2015 at 09:31 PM..

Old 05-28-2015, 06:16 AM

4,693 posts, read 4,334,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
At the library I picked up a copy of The Boys From Brazil by Ira Levin. It was published in 1976 but I never read it and for some reason it was on the new release table.

If you're not familiar with it, it's a thriller about former Nazi's trying to bring about a Fourth Reich and the Nazi hunter who is trying to stop them. I think there's a sci-fi element to it, but I'm not sure yet. It also was a movie with Gregory Peck but I never saw that either.
I read this way back in the day (probably close to 1976 ) and remember thinking it was amazing.
I don't think I saw the movie, but I still have some very strong memories of the book. He wrote Rosemary's Baby (which I never read but did see the movie).
They were both raging bestsellers and well deserved.
Glad to see it being rediscovered. (let us know what you think of it).

and, along those lines, I just finished Breakfast of champions by Kurt Vonnegut. Somehow I don't know if I ever read any of his books though I feel like I have. My daughters adore him, and I had to force myself to stick with this book. Parts were very enjoyable, but I guess I don't really "get" him. I will likely try another of his, but I somehow feel too old.(or is this not the book I should have started with?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books