Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 06:59 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,611,597 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. It was excellent but disturbing to me. I guess it hit to close to home because it was about bullying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 07:05 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,238,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I just finished reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. It was excellent but disturbing to me. I guess it hit to close to home because it was about bullying.

I thought that was a very good book.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:53 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,752,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I read this way back in the day (probably close to 1976 ) and remember thinking it was amazing.
I don't think I saw the movie, but I still have some very strong memories of the book. He wrote Rosemary's Baby (which I never read but did see the movie).
They were both raging bestsellers and well deserved.
Glad to see it being rediscovered. (let us know what you think of it).

and, along those lines, I just finished Breakfast of champions by Kurt Vonnegut. Somehow I don't know if I ever read any of his books though I feel like I have. My daughters adore him, and I had to force myself to stick with this book. Parts were very enjoyable, but I guess I don't really "get" him. I will likely try another of his, but I somehow feel too old.(or is this not the book I should have started with?)
Of course, the obvious recommendation would be Slaughterhouse Five. But I think a really great book of his that gets overlooked is Galapagos, from the 90s. It had some things in common with Slaughterhouse Five, like jumping around in time, and talking about characters in terms of what WILL happen to them in the future. It's basically the story of how human beings become extinct, except for a small group visiting the Galapagos Islands, who then evolve into...well, something else. And the whole story is told by a guy who is actually a ghost, because he's the only one who observed all this stuff happening over thousands of years.

I've read all his fiction works, and when he died, I re-read them, getting even more out of the books the second time around. Yes, you have to "get" him, in order to enjoy all his middle books, especially the ones that have recurring characters (so you can get the inside jokes and references). But I like all the wry commentary about human nature.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:54 PM

7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
I finished Underground in Berlin by Marie Jalowicz Simon. it is an amazing read and Dawn, you might like the book because Marie is very engaging - there is nothing graphic about all the other stuff in the second World War. I gave it five stars. A very worthwhile read. But the book ends with her son explaining that his mother got her PhD and lived in East Berlin. Now I'm going to have to research her because THAT seems like it would be another story in itself. The woman I read about certainly didn't sound like she would have stayed in East Germany voluntarily.

Gone to Ground by Marie Jalowicz Simon review

Old 05-28-2015, 01:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finished Underground in Berlin by Marie Jalowicz Simon. it is an amazing read and Dawn, you might like the book because Marie is very engaging - there is nothing graphic about all the other stuff in the second World War. I gave it five stars. A very worthwhile read. But the book ends with her son explaining that his mother got her PhD and lived in East Berlin. Now I'm going to have to research her because THAT seems like it would be another story in itself. The woman I read about certainly didn't sound like she would have stayed in East Germany voluntarily.

It's not even only when it's graphic -- I just really don't like these WWII Holocaust stories. It hits too close to the bone (and heart) for me. But this one sounds fabulous. My library has it on order already so I put a reserve on it. They'll call and email and smoke signal me when it's ready for me to pick up.

In my meanderings (there are always meanderings!), I came across this one. Also a WWII Holocaust story -- but a novel this time. I put this one on hold at the library too.

Amazon.com: The Book of Aron: A novel (9781101874318): Jim Shepard: Books

Old 05-28-2015, 01:19 PM

496 posts, read 389,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I don't want to sway you re: The Boston Girl, but I don't think I even bothered getting to 10% on that one. Maybe there was a good story there, I don't know, but -- in my opinion -- the writing was flat.

As for We Are Not Ourselves, yes, the vocabulary was extraordinary BUT not pretentious. It was so completely and utterly readable without it being flat (see above) or over the top or difficult.
Dawn, yes that was exactly the case. The vocabulary was outstanding but not in the least pretentious. I love a book that makes me think. Vocabulary and English Lit were my favorite classes so this book fit the bill. I am so thankful that I read it.

The writing in The Govenor's wife is also flat. I am at 25% now but not enjoying it at all.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post

The writing in The Govenor's wife is also flat. I am at 25% now but not enjoying it at all.
A number of years ago, I decided that there was no time to waste on books that I wasn't fully enjoying. I gave myself permission to stop reading it and never pick it up again. That totally went against my grain -- I see everything to its completion; I'm not a quitter -- but I've got to tell you: it was liberating. It made me HAPPY that I didn't have to keep going. I got to throw it aside and pick up a book that I loved.

Just saying...

Old 05-28-2015, 02:37 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,752,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

I just looked this up, because it sounds like something I definitely want to read, but I'm confused. The author has a book called Gone to Ground that came out 2/26/15, and then another one called Underground in Berlin which doesn't come out until 9/8/15, but the descriptions to the books look identical. You mention both titles above. Are they the same book or different? if the same, why two different titles?

Old 05-28-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I just looked this up, because it sounds like something I definitely want to read, but I'm confused. The author has a book called Gone to Ground that came out 2/26/15, and then another one called Underground in Berlin which doesn't come out until 9/8/15, but the descriptions to the books look identical. You mention both titles above. Are they the same book or different? if the same, why two different titles?
Hello. Good afternoon. This is Netwit's secretary. I can help you with that question:

//www.city-data.com/forum/39741984-post14793.html

Old 05-28-2015, 03:07 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,239,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
At the library I picked up a copy of The Boys From Brazil by Ira Levin. It was published in 1976 but I never read it and for some reason it was on the new release table.

If you're not familiar with it, it's a thriller about former Nazi's trying to bring about a Fourth Reich and the Nazi hunter who is trying to stop them. I think there's a sci-fi element to it, but I'm not sure yet. It also was a movie with Gregory Peck but I never saw that either.
Strange that it was on the new release table. I remember it as being a very good read, so enjoy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books