Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 09:58 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I read The Chaperone by her. I liked it VERY much.

I'm going to get this one that you're reading, as well as her other book. Because I have nothing but free time on my hands these days (which is a bald-face lie).
I thought she had written four books - I added her others to my wish list. Apparently one of them is a sequel to The Center of Everything. She does childhood - or, I should say, girlhood, very well. It brought back a lot of memories of the kinds of things that girls do that I had forgotten. Not that I'm finished yet - I am just over the halfway point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 04:13 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Quote:
originally posted by dawnmtl
do you do a spring cleaning (in any season) of your "to read" list, finding that books that you'd once been excited about now just make you shrug?
This is a wonderful idea and I am going to start doing it more often.I did recently re-read the synopsis and 1-2 star reviews for many of my Kindle freebies,and deleted quite a few of them.

I usually just recheck the books on my TBR list as I'm getting reading to reserve them from the library,if they don't sound appealing then,I remove them.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:13 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I thought she had written four books - I added her others to my wish list. Apparently one of them is a sequel to The Center of Everything. She does childhood - or, I should say, girlhood, very well. It brought back a lot of memories of the kinds of things that girls do that I had forgotten. Not that I'm finished yet - I am just over the halfway point.
That sequel (of sorts) is the other one that I added. As to a fourth book... math isn't my strong suit. Oh, yes, I just looked. There's a fourth. It didn't sound appealing to me -- or else I was already on "coming of age" overload, just from the search.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:08 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Stopping on my way home today to pick up a copy of Finders Keepers...very excited
I found several books with that title. Could you please let me know which author you mean?

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2015, 06:58 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I found several books with that title. Could you please let me know which author you mean?

Thanks!
Sorry! Stephen King...it's the 2nd in the Mr. Mercedes series

Old 06-03-2015, 05:35 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,366,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Stopping on my way home today to pick up a copy of Finders Keepers...very excited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
This is probably on my Kindle as I write this. I just read Mr. Mercedes a few weeks ago so I didn't have long to wait for the release of FK. I won't be able to start it for a few days though because I am reading Silent Scream. I'm only 25% through, I just want to finish it so I can start FK.
^Am on the "hold" list (for King's Finders, Keepers) at local library, though no idea where I am in that (waiting) line.
Each day I check my email for notification that it's available to pick up...

Meanwhile, I'm starting “Invisible: The Dangerous Allure of the Unseen” by Philip Ball (2015).
My interest was sparked by reading a New Yorker magazine article on the topic, which quoted from this book.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:37 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
I'm about to start Unbroken.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:55 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
Do you need to read Mr. Mercedes before Finders Keepers? For some reason, I never read Mr, Mercedes, but got it at the library today when I read that some of the same characters were in his new book, so I thought I'd better read Mr Mercedes first.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:50 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I will be starting my buddy reads for June:

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson….it's a long one and I hope I don't get bored by it.

Gone by Lisa Gardner for my Thriller group. I like her books and may have read this one years ago.

The Eyre Affair which is a new one for me:
"Welcome to a surreal version of Great Britain, circa 1985, where time travel is routine, cloning is a reality (dodos are the resurrected pet of choice), and literature is taken very, very seriously. England is a virtual police state where an aunt can get lost (literally) in a Wordsworth poem, militant Baconians heckle performances of Hamlet, and forging Byronic verse is a punishable offense. All this is business as usual for Thursday Next, renowned Special Operative in literary detection, until someone begins kidnapping characters from works of literature. When Jane Eyre is plucked from the pages of Brontë's novel, Thursday must track down the villain and enter the novel herself to avert a heinous act of literary homicide."

And my last one will be a freebie from my kindle:
The Insanity Plea by Larry D. Thompson. It sounds like a page turner.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:51 AM

496 posts, read 395,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Do you need to read Mr. Mercedes before Finders Keepers? For some reason, I never read Mr, Mercedes, but got it at the library today when I read that some of the same characters were in his new book, so I thought I'd better read Mr Mercedes first.
I won't spoil the ending of Mr. Mercedes but I think you want to read it before starting FK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books