Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 03:48 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times

Advertisements

Bill O'Reilly's Legends & Lies - stories of the old west. VERY fascinating book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 05:03 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Bill O'Reilly's Legends & Lies - stories of the old west. VERY fascinating book.
I got this on my hold list at the library I hope it is good I hope you are liking it .

Old 06-11-2015, 05:55 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Thanks everyone, for your well wishes for my dog. I still don't know what I'm reading but the dog is doing a bit better for now. I have some books with release dates further on in the month.

And I don't know whether to make a happy face or a sad face, so I'll make no face at all. I'm happy she's not pooping anymore but it's still touch and go with her life.
I'm so sorry to hear about your pup. I had to put down my best buddy six weeks ago and I know how painful it is to see them sick and have tough decisions to make. I'm glad things are a bit better for now.

Hugs....

Old 06-11-2015, 09:37 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I got this on my hold list at the library I hope it is good I hope you are liking it .
I like it a lot. The real history behind our western "celebrities" is fascinating.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:57 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
Dumb question but there seem to be at least 3 books Pioneer Girl -- so which one ?
Thanks.-
And I did finish Lost on Planet china by Maarten Troost which was a very good lighthearted read about his trip to China.
I will probably be looking into some of his others- (Sex lives of Cannibals).

For a new book club I am reading are you there god it's me Margaret (judy blume). Never read it and it is surprisingly good.

Then--- if I get to the library in time, I am going to pick up The Truth According to Us (the new one by the author of Guernsey Literary!!!).
Just put on hold the other book Queenie hennessy (from the Harold frye one)

Old 06-12-2015, 12:36 PM

496 posts, read 395,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Dumb question but there seem to be at least 3 books Pioneer Girl -- so which one ?
Thanks.-
And I did finish Lost on Planet china by Maarten Troost which was a very good lighthearted read about his trip to China.

For a new book club I am reading are you there god it's me Margaret (judy blume). Never read it and it is surprisingly good.

Then--- if I get to the library in time, I am going to pick up The Truth According to Us (the new one by the author of Guernsey Literary!!!).
Not at all a dumb question. Sorry I neglected to add pertinent info. It is Pioneer Girl, the Annotated Autobiography by Laura Ingalls Wilder and Pamela Smith Hill. It is so much more than I expected. The amount of research that went into this book is truly amazing. I did see that the price is lower now than when I purchased it. Here is the link.

Amazon.com: pioneer girl: Books

Old 06-12-2015, 02:05 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Thanks.-

may I just finished "The truth according to us " and it was awesome and I think you will like it very much I know I did one of the best I have read since "The boston girl " it was just awesome .

Old 06-12-2015, 08:13 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
I gave up on Finding Jake. I wish that I'd never found the book, since I'd read the story before -- and much better versions of it -- in We Need to Talk About Kevin and Defending Jacob. I'm okay with a retelling of a type of a story if it has an author who can write it well and if the characters are meaty. This book had neither.

Then this happened because... Pinetreelover.

This is the second time that I've had a book on hold at the library, Pinetreelover raves about it, and so I give up my hold and just go ahead and buy it.

The first time was A Little Life. That went so well that I did it again. I just bought The Rocks.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
Uh oh... Soooooo much pressure! The Rocks is no A Little Life, but I did think it was s good read. My fingers are quite crossed.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:31 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Hahaha! Noooo pressure, sweets. It's part of the fun.

I'm cranky and tired and it's already 10:30 p.m. so I'm not sure that I'll get much -- or anything -- out of it tonight. I might wait until I'm less "in a mood" than I am right now.

I was debating buying The Truth According to Us instead (which I also have on "liberry" hold) but I saw that the first page is a family tree. Going back and forth to the first page on a Kindle isn't easy (okay, I know there's a way but I never researched it so I don't know how) so I also reserved it IN PAPER from my library. Also, the story sounds a bit precious, so I'm waiting to see if anyone here refutes that. I don't *do* precious. Or twee. And certainly not a combination of the two, although I think that they probably mean the same thing. Yet another thing that I'm too tired to research. See? "in a mood"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books