Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 06:05 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,114 times

Advertisements

The Piano Teacher by Lynn York. It's a fun little book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 06:22 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
I got as far as pg184 before I threw in the towel on Airframe by Michael Crichton....tediously boring and full of "F" bombs, too!

Now reading Cell by Robin Cook~ The New York Times� bestselling author and master of the medical thriller returns with a top-notch fusion of groundbreaking medical science and edge-of-your-seat suspense. George Wilson, M.D., a radiology resident in Los Angeles, is about to enter a profession on the brink of an enormous paradigm shift, foreshadowing a vastly different role for doctors everywhere. The smartphone is poised to take on a new role in medicine, no longer as a mere medical app but rather as a fully customizable personal physician capable of diagnosing and treating even better than the real thing. It is called iDoc.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:46 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hahaha! Noooo pressure, sweets. It's part of the fun.

I'm cranky and tired and it's already 10:30 p.m. so I'm not sure that I'll get much -- or anything -- out of it tonight. I might wait until I'm less "in a mood" than I am right now.

I was debating buying The Truth According to Us instead (which I also have on "liberry" hold) but I saw that the first page is a family tree. Going back and forth to the first page on a Kindle isn't easy (okay, I know there's a way but I never researched it so I don't know how) so I also reserved it IN PAPER from my library. Also, the story sounds a bit precious, so I'm waiting to see if anyone here refutes that. I don't *do* precious. Or twee. And certainly not a combination of the two, although I think that they probably mean the same thing. Yet another thing that I'm too tired to research. See? "in a mood"
So glad that I'm not the only one that can be "in a mood".

Quote:
My cranky-tired "in a mood" mood ruined The Rocks for me. Another right book at the wrong time (or right book damaged by a wrong mood). I'll save it for another time.

I started The Truth According to Us. I'm just 5% in but so far so good.
The Truth According to Us is next on my list after I finish The Rock. I am about 75% in and I am not enjoying it at all. I actually can't wait to be finished with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I am about 1/4 way through. I started it yesterday Sunday- and usually don't get to read much during the week. I am hooked but it is so different from Guernsey.
I wholeheartedly agree that 300 ish pages is the best.
I have no idea what is going to happen but it has me keeping on reading one more chapter.
I'm anxious to read TTATU and I still love long books!

Quote:
I'm halfway through The Truth According to Us. I'm really enjoying it but I'm also remembering why, save for a few (such as A Little Life), I prefer books that are around the 300-page mark. As I age, the more I become like a 6-year-old -- I get bored much too quickly now. (If you ever hear me saying things like "Back in the good old days..." or "In MY time...," please just take me out back and shoot me. Thank you.)
Dawn don't sweat the small stuff. When you get as old as dirt, like I am, you won't give a rip about saying "Back in the good old days." You'll just feel blessed to remember your name let alone the good old days!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I picked up "at the waters edge " by sara gruen (yes water for elephants author ) . so far excellent read . also picked up Bill O Reileys legends and Lies and am enjoying that one very much as well . I thought it interesting to see that Bill O Reiley was a school teacher in Miami way back when . I guess it did not pay very much so he went on to tv .
I loved WFE so I will add ATWE to my TRL. Thanks for the recommendation!

Old 06-17-2015, 10:04 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
So glad that I'm not the only one that can be "in a mood".

The Truth According to Us is next on my list after I finish The Rock. I am about 75% in and I am not enjoying it at all. I actually can't wait to be finished with it.

I'm anxious to read TTATU and I still love long books!

Dawn don't sweat the small stuff. When you get as old as dirt, like I am, you won't give a rip about saying "Back in the good old days." You'll just feel blessed to remember your name let alone the good old days!!!

I loved WFE so I will add ATWE to my TRL. Thanks for the recommendation!
I adore you.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:14 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I'm into book 4 of the Bellingwood series by Diane Greenwood Muir. There are 9 in the series.

I started the first one because I needed something to chill out with. It sounded like a cool book (okay, chill and cool..heeheehee...never mind).

This series has saved my sanity. It's lovely and does have several mysteries that unfold but that's not what I love the most. The characters are stunning. There are so many of them in the small town. I'd love to know most of them.

It's an easy read and an informative one, too.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:37 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Quote:
I adore you.
Right back at you!

Old 06-17-2015, 01:31 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post

Old 06-17-2015, 06:26 PM

82 posts, read 88,337 times
Into Thin Air, about a deadly everest expedition

Old 06-18-2015, 05:09 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm into book 4 of the Bellingwood series by Diane Greenwood Muir. There are 9 in the series.

I started the first one because I needed something to chill out with. It sounded like a cool book (okay, chill and cool..heeheehee...never mind).

This series has saved my sanity. It's lovely and does have several mysteries that unfold but that's not what I love the most. The characters are stunning. There are so many of them in the small town. I'd love to know most of them.

Ketabcha- this sounds perfect. Thanks for the recommendation. (still enjoying TTATU - love these code abbreviations for those in the know). Next will likely be Queenie Hennessy...but these will be on my list too.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:02 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

I L-O-V-E series like this[except never could get into the Mitford series!],and I have the first book~All Roads Lead Home (Bellingwood Book One) that I got as a Kindle freebie.Now I can't wait to check it out!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books