Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 11:39 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times

Advertisements

I finished The Rocks on Friday evening. That was one, long, never thought I would get through it, read. The good news is that the best part of the book was the last 10% but not good enough that the previous 90 was worth torturing myself over. I did give it three stars though as his use of the English language was superb and bits of Spanish & German thrown in. I always love to read a book that I have to use the word look-up on my Kindle. Without that I probably would have rated it at a two star.

I started The Truth About Us and I am loving it! I am all but 50% through and had more enjoyment in the first two chapters than the whole of TR. Willa is a sweetheart, and I adore Jottie. I actually love most of the characters. They are so very well portrayed that you feel that you know them. I adore books like that.

I downloaded A Little Revenge. A biography of Ben Franklin's relationship with his son. I love historical biographies but I am enjoying TTAU so much that I'm not looking forward to it ending. Also downloaded a book called Taboo.

My DD and her family were over yesterday and she registered me for a library card through our county library system. When my children were young we spent many happy hours at the library. I will now be able to borrow downloads right from Amazon. I love my girl!!!! She has my love for reading and also passed that love on to her DSs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 01:01 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I just finished book 4 in the Bellingwood series. Next up is book 5. I have to admit I neglected the book over the weekend because I was on a film noir binge. If anything can drag me away from a book it is movies from the 30s and 40s. Old movies are my other passion after books.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post

I started The Truth About Us and I am loving it! I am all but 50% through and had more enjoyment in the first two chapters than the whole of TR. Willa is a sweetheart, and I adore Jottie. I actually love most of the characters. They are so very well portrayed that you feel that you know them. I adore books like that.
If anyone is looking for the book of which Holly-Kay speaks, it's actually called The Truth According to Us by Annie Barrows. I'd hate for you to get a zombie-killing teenage mystery dystopian historical saga by accident.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I finished In the Unlikely Event and am sort of sad to admit that I was not a fan. I liked the idea of a Judy Blume book much more than I liked the Judy Blume book.

Spoiler
There were so many characters with so much drama (Unwed mother, cheating
boyfriend, anorexia, mental illness, grief, absentee father, abusive
father.....) and yet it all ended so neat and tidy with a reunion ending.

On an unrelated note - my Kindle died this weekend. It was the old version of the Kindle Touch that didn't have any fancy features. I will miss that little guy. We didn't get off to the best start in our relationship, but when my lifestyle changed with a new job that requires a lot of travel, I found that he had more to offer that I originally gave him credit for.

Any recommendations regarding a replacement?

RIP Kindle!
PTL, I just purchased my latest Kindle which is the Voyage I do like it a good bit. This is the fourth one I've owned but my favorite is still my original that DH bought me for Christmas five or six years ago. The original one makes a loud click when I turn pages, which is why I replaced it in the first place.

My second was a Touch, that one was so touchy that I was constantly skipping pages. I loathed that model and couldn't wait to replace it.

My third was the Paperwhite. I loved that one but it died about six months into ownership so I reverted back to my original for a year or so until I decided to try another model.

The Voyage is the most expensive model I've owned but I like reading on a Kindle rather than an iPad because it's easier on the eyes. I would recommend this model or the Paperwhite. I was at a very hectic time with my business when my Paperwhite bit the dust. I'm sure Amazon would have replaced it but I left it go for too long and then just considered it a loss.

Amazon has good reviews on all the current models and there are also videos showing the different models. Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:27 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I am currently reading (only on chapter 2) of Tiffany Girl by Deeanne Gist. So far so good.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:14 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
well I finished Bill O Reillys Legends and Lies book and it was quite good and I really liked it .

Old 06-22-2015, 06:54 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'd hate for you to get a zombie-killing teenage mystery dystopian historical saga by accident.
You knew I would have to respond to this.

A "zombie-killing teenage mystery dystopian historical saga" sounds bodacious to me.
I'm glad you didn't mention "romance." I don't like that stuff. I'm a discerning reader.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
You knew I would have to respond to this.

A "zombie-killing teenage mystery dystopian historical saga" sounds bodacious to me.
I'm glad you didn't mention "romance." I don't like that stuff. I'm a discerning reader.
You knew that you're the reason that I wrote that... and exactly why I left "romance" out of it.

PS. Thank you for making me guffaw just now. I needed that.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:50 PM

You two crack me up!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
You two crack me up!
We'll be here all week. Try the veal.

PS. Catskills "humor"
PPS. I've never even been to the Catskills.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 06-22-2015 at 09:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books