Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 11:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Since I liked Golden State so much, I just reserved a copy of Florence Gordon. Thanks.
Piggy-backing onto this response:

Oooooh, I read Starting Out in the Evening by Brian Morton, who wrote Florence Gordon. Flo-Go is going onto my "to read" list right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 12:07 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
This is a little embarrassing, but I am reading Down the Rabbit Hole, the memoir by Holly Madison, Hugh Hefner's one-of-many girlfriends. I do have better things to read but I can't concentrate on them at the moment and when I read a sample of her book, I did want to know what the next sentence said, so I bought it.

I don't know if she had a ghost writer or not, but so far, around the 20% mark, I'm not finding the book terribly well written. I had no great expectations but sometimes one come across a memoir of someone in a field where you don't usually expect any great things, only to find, with a pleasurable shock, that it is well-written.

PS: Hefner is a creep.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:23 PM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm so sorry, Holly. I will wear black (in the summer! in the sun!) in its honor and as a remembrance.

RIP, sweet first Kindle. You were so very loved.
I am in black...well my capris are black. I did love that Kindle, I'm on my fourth version but I always kept the first one and used it more than all the others put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
oh holly so sorry on the loss of your beloved kindle hope you can get another one dear soon .
Phonelady, thank you, I am sad but I do have a new one. I just loved my old one. It had character, it had soul.... okay I'm going a bit overboard. My new one is just a tool to be used, I will never love it like my first one.

BTW, I am 87% through TTAU and I just don't want it to end!

Old 06-25-2015, 12:27 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
This is a little embarrassing, but I am reading Down the Rabbit Hole, the memoir by Holly Madison, Hugh Hefner's one-of-many girlfriends. I do have better things to read but I can't concentrate on them at the moment and when I read a sample of her book, I did want to know what the next sentence said, so I bought it.

I don't know if she had a ghost writer or not, but so far, around the 20% mark, I'm not finding the book terribly well written. I had no great expectations but sometimes one come across a memoir of someone in a field where you don't usually expect any great things, only to find, with a pleasurable shock, that it is well-written.

PS: Hefner is a creep.

She typed it herself, with her nipples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I am in black...well my capris are black. I did love that Kindle, I'm on my fourth version but I always kept the first one and used it more than all the others put together.

Phonelady, thank you, I am sad but I do have a new one. I just loved my old one. It had character, it had soul.... okay I'm going a bit overboard. My new one is just a tool to be used, I will never love it like my first one.

BTW, I am 87% through TTAU and I just don't want it to end!

You're going to LOVE the end. It's perfect.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:37 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,317 times
I used to be an avid book reader. Now I'm an avid online reader. I've become drawn in by the interactive aspect of reading online.

In my book reading days I'd come across passages that I was burning to discuss with people, but there was no one to talk with! So frustrating!

Old 06-25-2015, 06:28 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Well I started The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy and although I am only at about page 50 I have to say it is WONDERFUL. Love it.

*and Holly-Kay- I am so sorry about your loss.

I am paying attention to all the comments because I believe I am breaking down and will get an e-reader soon. (we have a very old nook and I just haven't gotten the hang of it). I am particularly intrigued because so many books lately have fonts which I find hard to read. ( I think it's my aging eyes...ssshhhh!)
The paperwhite sounds perfect so far.

Last edited by Mayvenne; 06-25-2015 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: wanted to console HollyKay

Old 06-25-2015, 06:40 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I took a break from the Bellingwood series to read The Santaroga Barrier by Frank Herbert. It's a golden oldie with way-back-then reminders of 10¢ phone booth calls and 38¢ a gallon gasoline. I remember those days. The book is just "okay."

Old 06-25-2015, 06:45 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
My favorite Kindle died last night. I was reading TTAU on my new Kindle Voyage but I clicked on a link that said "this book" and it took me back almost to the beginning of the book. I didn't want to search for where I was so I figured if I booted up my first Kindle and went to the book it would take me to the last page read. I know, I know, it probably would have taken me to the page that my Voyage took me to but I figured it was worth a try. I turned it on and it seemed fine. I went to the menu and it froze. I tried to turn it off but it wouldn't. The next thing I know the screen is totally white. It's soul is gone......Even though I have a new Kindle this really hit me because it was my first one and DH bought it for me. The mourning process begins... I will put it in the Vera Bradley protector that I have for it and lay it to rest in my bedside chest. SOB.......and that isn't a cuss word it's me crying over the loss.
Oh, Holly-Kay, I can totally relate! That is exactly what happened to my Kindle last week! My husband suggested that it was a case of "planned obsolescence" given that the new Kindle Paperwhite is being released June 30th. I'm not so sure about that theory, but it is sad nonetheless as it was a gift from my kids - the first "real" gift that they pooled their money for and chose all on their own.

June 30th... tick, tick, tick.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:16 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I am so sorry about the kindle deaths. If I wasn't so cheap I would go with the Paperwhite.

June 30th is right around the corner

I really enjoyed Memory Man. Good new concept for a cop/mystery type series.

I started At The Water's Edge which I am really enjoying. At first I was amused by the three pompous characters. You can only shake your head at people like that. Now they are in Scotland and I am cheering for the woman, Maddie, as she has the possibility of "growing and learning." Her husband on the other hand is a horrible man Anyway it is very good.

Last edited by ylisa7; 06-26-2015 at 05:45 AM..

Old 06-26-2015, 05:18 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
I just finished The Ocean at the End Of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. I'm also reading The Peripheral, William Gibson's latest novel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books