Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 06:44 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I just finished The Ocean at the End Of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. I'm also reading The Peripheral, William Gibson's latest novel.
What did you think about The Ocean at the End of the Lane? I find it is a "love it" or "hate it" sort of book (I'm in the former category, but most of my book club friends were in the later)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 10:10 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
My favorite Kindle died last night. ... The next thing I know the screen is totally white. It's soul is gone...... ... this really hit me because it was my first one and DH bought it for me. The mourning process begins... I will put it in the Vera Bradley protector that I have for it and lay it to rest in my bedside chest. SOB.......and that isn't a cuss word it's me crying over the loss.
Even though you have other Kindles, like kids -- each is special in their own way. Try to console yourself that you had many good reads together. We all come to the end of our spark on day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
This is a little embarrassing, but I am reading Down the Rabbit Hole, the memoir by Holly Madison, Hugh Hefner's one-of-many girlfriends. I do have better things to read but I can't concentrate on them at the moment and when I read a sample of her book, I did want to know what the next sentence said, so I bought it.
PS: Hefner is a creep.
Never apologize for your reading choices. Life is like a candy store. Sometimes you want the rich, chewy nougats and others you want the colored sugar powders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
She typed it herself, with her nipples.
Gasp! In MY DAY we NEVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I used to be an avid book reader. Now I'm an avid online reader. I've become drawn in by the interactive aspect of reading online.
I read ages ago about a group of writers (I believe Stephen King was one) were embarking on an interactive work where they started with a premise, and then at certain points in the story the reader could choose which way the story would go. Each of these branches would lead to a variety of outcomes, some shared. Of course it would be a totally an online experience for the reader. You might do some searching around to see if it ever came to publication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I took a break ... to read The Santaroga Barrier by Frank Herbert.
I didn't know he ever wrote anything other than the Dune series, which I read avidly for a year or so. I may have to look for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
[It] happened to my Kindle last week! ... it was a gift from my kids - the first "real" gift that they pooled their money for and chose all on their own.
That's SO SWEET. To think that their first big gift would open so many stories for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I really enjoyed Memory Man. Good new concept for a cop/mystery type series.
> TBR. Thanks!

Quote:
What did you think about The Ocean at the End of the Lane? I find it is a "love it" or "hate it" sort of book (I'm in the former category, but most of my book club friends were in the later)
I am in the former camp with you. I LOVED it.

I finished listening to "Dead Low Tide" by Bret Lott; read by Dick Hill. Nothing wrong with it but aside from Dick Hill's usual outstanding interpretive reading it was just okay.

I'm still enjoying "Boys from Brazil" when I take time to sit down and read, but those times have been scant lately. I'm spending most of my days cutting and sewing fabrics together.

I think my next audiobook will be "The Old Ways: A Journey on Foot" by Robert Macfarlane; read by Robin Sachs (another good reader).

Happy Friday. Y'all have a nice weekend!

Old 06-26-2015, 11:43 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I am going to start this weekend "My grandmother asked me to tell you she is sorry " I hope it is a good one .

Old 06-26-2015, 11:55 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
I've been reading Finding Me by Michelle Knight for the past two nights. It's a very quick read, so I'll probably finish it in 2 more nights. This is the memoir of one of the young women who was imprisoned and raped for over 10 years in Ohio by Ariel Castro.

People on Amazon have complained about the simplistic/adolescent style of writing, but the poor girl dropped out of school, after hardly ever attending school due to all the trauma & chaos she was going through as a kid and teen (extreme poverty, sexual abuse and childhood rape, homelessness, working for a drug dealer, family chaos & violence, being primary caretaker for her siblings, having a disability, getting pregnant, having her child taken away). Then to top it all off, she gets kidnapped at age 21, and is held as a sex slave for 11 years. I'm willing to cut her some slack on her writing (she also had help from a professional writer, but I think they wanted the book to actually have her "voice.") If anything, I'm just glad I bought her book to help her income in some small way. This woman has had more than a lifetime's allotment of trauma; I hope and pray the rest of her life is much better.

After this book, I'll knock out Stronger by Jeff Bauman, the guy who lost his legs in the Boston Marathon bombing and became an inspiration for millions.

Then I'll get back to fiction.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:51 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
I absolutely loved it, too.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:57 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I "finished" How Should a Person Be? by Sheila Heti. I put "finished" in quotes because, admittedly, I skimmed parts. It was an odd book. It was linear but went off in tangents (but just snippets), which I didn't really mind. It was an amalgamation of narratives and emails and dialogue written as if it was a script for a play. Sometimes I liked the book, sometimes I was bored. Truly strange book that I can't really recommend unless you're into odd, strange books. Nah.

I picked up A Window Across the River by Brian Morton from the library, in PAPER! They also had Florence Gordon (by the same author) and even though it's on my list to read (thanks, Jazzcat!), I didn't take it since I have the Kindle version reserved at another library. I always prefer the digital version.

So, next up: A Window Across the River by Brian Morton.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

PS for LookinforMayberry: There were nipples in YOUR day too! Ohhh, you never talked about them in your day... got it.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:49 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I finished The Santaroga Barrier by Frank Herbert. It was good in a mind altering way with hints of the time I bought a black strobe candle in New Orleans and hoped for Twilight Zone experiences after I lit it.
That experience did not happen but I still thought I was way cool to have bought such a thing while wearing love beads......sigh.

So, I started reading The Truth According To Us and found myself laughing out loud before I completed 1% of the book. Oh, my. I am gonna' love this one. I can tell already. Yippee!

Old 06-26-2015, 08:39 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

So, I started reading The Truth According To Us and found myself laughing out loud before I completed 1% of the book. Oh, my. I am gonna' love this one. I can tell already. Yippee!
You most definitely are.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:57 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I am going to start this weekend "My grandmother asked me to tell you she is sorry " I hope it is a good one .
I hope it is good. The woman who told me about it didn't end up liking it.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:22 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,859 times
Finished up A Feast for Crows and started A Dance with Dragons. I'm still not a fan of his writing style and think too much is done as a shock factor due to his writing it for the TV screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books