Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 08:52 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcGee6 View Post
Working through The Martian, Andy Weir.
Have this on reserve at my library,hope it's as good as it sounds.

Going to start ~Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1) by Eoin Colfer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 08:53 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I really, really enjoyed that book and I did not expect to.
Good to hear!

Old 06-27-2015, 09:04 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I finished "The Boys from Brazil." It was okay. Probably considered well done in its day, though I don't recall hearing about it then. I sort of wish I had not wasted the time. Seems the last few books I've read haven't been all that satisfying, except for "Wesley the Owl."

Hopefully, "Faceless Killers" by Henning Mankell will be better. We watched the American version of Wallander on Netflix and thought it pretty suspenseful, albeit gruesome. It came recommended by a radio buddy of DH's -- the same that recommended Jo Nesbo's works and I've enjoyed those.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:24 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Here is one that looks good for some of you

The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett.

"A deliciously funny novella that celebrates the pleasure of reading. When the Queen in pursuit of her wandering corgis stumbles upon a mobile library she feels duty bound to borrow a book. Aided by Norman, a young man from the palace kitchen who frequents the library, Bennett describes the Queen's transformation as she discovers the liberating pleasures of the written word. With the poignant and mischievous wit of The History Boys, England's best loved author revels in the power of literature to change even the most uncommon reader's life."

Ooh…enjoy The Martian

Old 06-28-2015, 05:54 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
The Good, the Bad, and the furry, Stuffocationjust finished fat girl walking.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:36 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
Recently finished

My Life so Far - Jane Fonda; enjoyed
Life Support - Tess Gerritsen; sort of formula medical thriller but good with some interesting medical stuff
The Lewis man - Peter May; enjoyed, going to see out other books by author

Started:
The Dead Lands - Benjamin Percy; didn't get far although it seems good/interesting apopalyptic sci-fi. IDK just not in the mood
Last Stand, Ted Turner's Quest to Save the Plane by Todd Wilkinson; not very good with nonfiction. Hoping I finish.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:07 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post

"A deliciously funny novella that celebrates the pleasure of reading. When the Queen in pursuit of her wandering corgis stumbles upon a mobile library she feels duty bound to borrow a book. Aided by Norman, a young man from the palace kitchen who frequents the library, Bennett describes the Queen's transformation as she discovers the liberating pleasures of the written word. With the poignant and mischievous wit of The History Boys, England's best loved author revels in the power of literature to change even the most uncommon reader's life."
I have read this little book a few times - each time, it delights me! It is a great gift choice for a reader friend!

Old 06-28-2015, 07:53 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I finished "The Boys from Brazil." It was okay. Probably considered well done in its day, though I don't recall hearing about it then. I sort of wish I had not wasted the time.
Surprisingly, I found the movie to be better than the book. Sir Lawrence Olivier and Gregory Peck star in it.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:29 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm still waiting for my books on hold to become available to me from the library -- I'm next up for Bettyville -- and I noticed this book listed by Gaylenwolf in his thread about multiple POVs: The Girls by Lori Lansens.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

I just started it a few minutes ago -- I'm just at 2% -- and I already feel hooked and invested.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:33 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Happy Sunday, friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post

Thanks! I just reserved it from the library -- it's even "available" so I should see it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I have read this little book a few times - each time, it delights me! It is a great gift choice for a reader friend!
You are all good readers' friends. I always know I can count on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Surprisingly, I found the movie to be better than the book. Sir Lawrence Olivier and Gregory Peck star in it.
And my library has it! Reserved; also available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm still waiting for my books on hold to become available to me from the library -- I'm next up for Bettyville -- and I noticed this book listed by Gaylenwolf in his thread about multiple POVs: The Girls by Lori Lansens.
Amazingly, my library has at least seven different authors' works by this title -- so glad you included it! Added to TRL.

"Faceless Killers" is already gripping -- I had to put it down last night to keep from getting too far sucked in before bedtime (and I didn't want to think of waking up to dead neighbors). Here is our record-breaking heat (90F, yesterday!), I imagine I will be sitting with it and a pitcher of iced tea this afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books