Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-28-2015, 12:14 PM
 
Location: not where you are
8,757 posts, read 9,461,856 times
Reputation: 8327

Advertisements

I've been having a time finding anything to hold me for more than a chapter or two of late, but, I may have lucked up this past week in finding two books. I started on a couple of good ones within a day apart; one I had read a chapter or so the other one was on hold, so, after picking the second up from the library, I ended up reading a couple of chapters as I rode the bus home from the library and then couldn't decide which to continue on with first as I found both quite interesting. Since then though, I've decided to read them in the order I first came into possession and as listed below.

The books I'm reading I've started and will continue reading this week.

When I Found You, by Catherine Ryan Hyde.

Yellow Crocus, by Laila Ibrahim.


I really wanted something fun and light, but, seems I always end preferring something with a bit more bite, though, so far, When I Found You, the writing hasn't been that heavy, at least not yet. Its a good thing I was in the mood for something this simplistic for a change though, there is some teeth to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2015, 12:59 PM
 
4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
Reputation: 8481
Yes to an Uncommon Reader! A total delight! Read it a while ago ; pretty sure it was on here that I first heard of it.
(where else do I hear about books?).

Thoroughly into The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy.
It was definitely written AFTER The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. I wonder how it would be if you read this one first.
Anyway it's very well done- so beautifully written. It's that type that has me tearing up but feeling very inspired and comforted. So sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2015, 06:45 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
Reputation: 7237
So.... I'm about a fourth of the way through We Are Not Ourselves and I have a knot in my stomach. I think it is a little unresolved PTRD (Post Traumatic Reading Disorder) from chronically sad, one bad turn after another, what were these parents thinking Irish novels starting with A Tree Grows in Brooklyn as a middle schooler and progressing through Angela's Ashes.

I will keep reading, but I just think it will all end sadly. Very, very sadly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2015, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Reputation: 28903
I'm already at 36% on The Girls by Lori Lansens. I can't even believe that I'm reading a story about conjoined twins, which is something that I find so disturbing and sad. Yet, I am. It's a very good story. The characters are fascinating. I have to keep reminding myself that this is not a Chang and Eng story (which was real). I have no experience with conjoined twins but, for whatever reason, this fiction feels like non-fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 06:24 AM
 
1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm already at 36% on The Girls by Lori Lansens. I can't even believe that I'm reading a story about conjoined twins, which is something that I find so disturbing and sad. Yet, I am. It's a very good story. The characters are fascinating. I have to keep reminding myself that this is not a Chang and Eng story (which was real). I have no experience with conjoined twins but, for whatever reason, this fiction feels like non-fiction.
I really liked this book. It definitely felt like nonfiction to me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I really liked this book. It definitely felt like nonfiction to me too.
You read it?!?! The author is Canadian and I'd never seen anyone talk about it here. I'm so glad that you read it and that I'm not the only one who has to keep reminding herself that this is fiction. (I had a book about Chang and Eng -- by Darin Strauss -- but I left it in Massachusetts when I moved. I never read it, but I'm definitely going to get it again. Although Strauss fictionalized it, they were real conjoined twins and I suspect that the "story" is mostly true.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 06:47 AM
 
1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
You read it?!?! The author is Canadian and I'd never seen anyone talk about it here. I'm so glad that you read it and that I'm not the only one who has to keep reminding herself that this is fiction. (I had a book about Chang and Eng -- by Darin Strauss -- but I left it in Massachusetts when I moved. I never read it, but I'm definitely going to get it again. Although Strauss fictionalized it, they were real conjoined twins and I suspect that the "story" is mostly true.)
I read it a few years ago (can't remember when for sure). It reminded me of a set of conjoined twins here in America I have seen on TV. I had to keep reminding myself I was not reading about them. What I find so fascinating about Chang and Eng is how small their connection was when there are documentaries about separations that are so extensive. Of course, back then things were different I know, but it's just so weird to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 07:40 AM
 
11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
Reputation: 10175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I just finished the Invention of Wings which was so highly recommended.
It was an easy read (lately this criteria is very important to me for whatever reason..) and a very interesting story which I did not know until the end was actually based on true people and events. My criticism with it was that I thought some things were a bit far fetched and too predictable in a way for a story line but then finding out much of the parts I thought were really pushing it, were actually based on actual events, well....
Anyway I would recommend it but I don't know that I agree with the folks who told me they adored it and didn't want it to end.
All in all a worthwhile book.
Next up for my book club is Age of Innocence. (Wharton) so wish me luck.


"The Invention of Wings" -- I couldn't put it down; finished it in 3 nights. One of the best books I've read in awhile. Highly recommend this especially if you've ever visited Charleston SC. It is fact based fiction; based on the trials and tribulations of the Grimke sisters and the slaves their family "owned".

Last edited by QuilterChick; 06-29-2015 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 08:10 AM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Reputation: 14770
Yesterday I finished listening to "Tibetan Wisdom for Living and Dying" by Sogyal Rinpoche. It's a lecture series he did before an audience to enrich peoples' understandings of his book "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying," which I read in the 90s when it was first published. Listening to the teachings gave me greater clarity, but like achieving a peak on any range of mountains it mostly taught me that it was only a foothill to a larger, higher range.

I plan to go back to the book and begin again. As he points out, the teachings are not only for those whose death is imminent, but for all who will die.

Meanwhile, roughly 30% into "Faceless Killers" and still liking it.

Balance in all things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Where the sun likes to shine!!
20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Reputation: 88950
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Happy Sunday, friends.


Thanks! I just reserved it from the library -- it's even "available" so I should see it soon.

I also reserved Uncommon Reader from my library

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I've been having a time finding anything to hold me for more than a chapter or two of late, but, I may have lucked up this past week in finding two books. I started on a couple of good ones within a day apart; one I had read a chapter or so the other one was on hold, so, after picking the second up from the library, I ended up reading a couple of chapters as I rode the bus home from the library and then couldn't decide which to continue on with first as I found both quite interesting. Since then though, I've decided to read them in the order I first came into possession and as listed below.

The books I'm reading I've started and will continue reading this week.

When I Found You, by Catherine Ryan Hyde.

Yellow Crocus, by Laila Ibrahim.


I really wanted something fun and light, but, seems I always end preferring something with a bit more bite, though, so far, When I Found You, the writing hasn't been that heavy, at least not yet. Its a good thing I was in the mood for something this simplistic for a change though, there is some teeth to it.
I really like Yellow Crocus. Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
"The Invention of Wings" -- I couldn't put it down; finished it in 3 nights. One of the best books I've read in awhile. Highly recommend this especially if you've ever visited Charleston SC. It is fact based fiction; based on the trials and tribulations of the Grimke sisters and the slaves their family "owned".

I loved that one also.





I finished 14th Deadly Sin last night and it was a good read. Just another easy James Patterson Murder Mystery Club.


I am now going back to We Are Not Ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top