Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 09:34 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I also reserved Uncommon Reader from my library

I really like Yellow Crocus. Enjoy.

Thank you, I'm looking forward to picking back up where I left off a few days ago, it really does seem like a great read. I'm half way through the other book, "When I Found You" of which I'm now very much enjoying, I think I've shed a few tears even.

I am now going back to We Are Not Ourselves.
I don't know why that ^ title keeps resonating in my brain, but, not sure if it was on my list or if I once started it and didn't complete it, but, seems I must have wanted to read it as it wouldn't keep sticking out, to me, everytime I see the title.

There have been a lot of fascinating books mentioned, I forgot how great this place was for seeking out good recommendations to at least consider.

I already have a list of books sitting aside waiting for me, so I should be good for a couple of weeks to a month at least, but, I will be looking into others I've seen listed here for after I've

What I have on hand:

Orphan Train, by, Ann Packer
Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl, by, Issa Rae
An Invisible Thread, by, Laura L. Schroff and Alex Tresniowski
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 06:37 AM

414 posts, read 911,190 times
Finished All the Single Ladies byDorothea Benton Frank. A quick and light read for if/when you need a break from a tedious book!

Old 06-30-2015, 08:15 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Finished All the Single Ladies byDorothea Benton Frank. A quick and light read for if/when you need a break from a tedious book!
I would have a hard time reading this one without wanting to break into song every time I looked at the title!

Old 06-30-2015, 08:41 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Currently listening to: "The Wisdom of Your Cells: How Your Beliefs Control Your Biology" by Bruce H. Lipton. I'm only less than a half hour into it but already it is amazing.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I've had almost no time to read these last few days -- too much work -- but I'm 73% into The Girls by Lori Lansens and I've got to tell you two things:

1. You wouldn't think that conjoined twins would be so funny, but they are. I've laughed out loud -- and I rarely do while reading -- more than once. It's such a sad situation but these girls (I know they're fictional, but still...) each have such a great sense of humor.

2. You've got to read this book.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 06-30-2015 at 02:12 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 01:40 PM

47,545 posts, read 6,390,635 times
Just finished reading Madeline Albright's "Prague Winter."

The former U.S. secretary of state presents a history of Czechoslovakia from 1937-48, with a little background from the World War I era when the area was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Albright is a good historian and this was an interesting book. She focuses on the earth-shaking events of the era, such as the Munich Pact which eventually resulted in the young republic being sacrificed on the altar of appeasement to an ambitious Hitler and Nazi Germany and later the tragic postwar period in which the Soviet Union came to dominate the nation and snuff out freedom for another 40-plus years.

She also offers insight into Czech leaders of the time, which included to a lesser extent her own father, a Czech diplomat who helped with radio broadcasts in Great Britain during World War II and later served as ambassador to Yugoslavia before the communist noose tightened on Czechoslovakia.

Another interesting element of the book is the author's reflection on her Jewish heritage, which she was unaware of until she was in her mid-50s and which her own parents never told her about. Albright was able to trace the history of several relatives who ended up being killed in the Holocaust.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:29 PM

7,365 posts, read 5,479,265 times
If any of you have read and loved 'Gone Girl' and/or 'Girl on a Train' you might enjoy a book I just read called 'The Good Girl' by Mary Kubica. It was a real page turner, one I couldn't put down.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:20 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Dawn, I LOVED The Girls. Also enjoyed The Wife's Tale.

Rxgirl, I have placed The Good Girl on my queue. Sounds intriguing.

Has anyone read a book all the way through, thus showing that it was readable---but still not sure if you could recommend it? That's where I am with Love May Fail by Matthew Quick, who wrote The Silver Linings Playbook. maybe I'm not respecting it enough since it is going to be made into a movie? Reading it, I kept thinking it could be good as a film---that shouldn't be the kiss of death, should it? It's somewhat easier reading than I like---a little less lyrical, but still very well written. Characters are intriguing. It's honest and shows how damaged people can be but also is hopeful that people can save themselves and each other. It's about a woman whose marriage ends and she returns to her hometown to help the best teacher she ever had in high school---who experienced a horrible crisis years earlier. While I don't think anyone will think it's the best book they ever read, I think it may be worth a read----it's just what I could have used after A Little Life since it is easier reading and more optimistic even while acknowledging that people do some hurtful things to each other.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:29 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Dawn, I LOVED The Girls.

Has anyone read a book all the way through, thus showing that it was readable---but still not sure if you could recommend it?
What the heck?!? You're the second person (the lovely fromupthere is the other) who already read The Girls (by Lori Lansens for those looking it up). I just happened to "find" it by reading through Gaylenwoof's thread about multiple points of view. Otherwise I would never have even heard about this gem. What else are you keeping from me, jazzcat?!?

Yes, I read a book that I was thoroughly enjoying from beginning to (almost) end, but then I couldn't recommend it because I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE ENDING! I had no idea what the *beep* happened. And that book is Etta and Otto and Russell and James by Emma Hooper. Don't read that book. If you do, though, and you understand what happened at the end, please tell me. No, actually, don't. I'm too angry at the book to care now.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:47 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Hey Dawn, Lori Lansens is even from Canada, so surprised you didn't hear about The Girls. Got a lot of good critical acclaim. But hey, you got to enjoy it, even if it has been years from when it was published, so it's all good (I would never say "it's all good" in real life, but I felt cool typing it!). And considering how long your to-be-read list must be, even if you had known about it, you might not have gotten to it until now---although you seem pretty flexible in prioritizing...I don't think you necessarily just read the ones at the top of the list first.

Since we are unlikely to ever have the opportunity to encounter anyone in real life who has read The Girls, it's so wonderful to have this forum where we don't have to feel like visitors from another planet who read outside-the-norm books!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books