Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 10:56 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

I am reading Breathing Room by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Not my usual thing but I downloaded it when I first got the Kindle in case I ever needed something light. It is light all right, but I have hit upon the same problem I had last week, which is that there are missing pages. The location number jumps and there are 6 missing location 'pages.' Even though it is well past the Kindle return date, I might try to return it anyway via an explanatory email. I'm guessing I bought it well over a year ago, but I hadn't read it until now.

Coming across two things such as this in such a short period of time has me wondering if it is a Kindle malfunction.

One other strange thing I noticed about the Kindle books, is that when I access my wish list via my Kindle, I see that some books I had added to it are now suddenly listed as "out of stock," which is a very, very strange thing to see about an e-book. I wonder if there is a dispute with the publisher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 11:06 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Dawn, I LOVED The Girls. Also enjoyed The Wife's Tale.

Rxgirl, I have placed The Good Girl on my queue. Sounds intriguing.

Has anyone read a book all the way through, thus showing that it was readable---but still not sure if you could recommend it? That's where I am with Love May Fail by Matthew Quick, who wrote The Silver Linings Playbook. maybe I'm not respecting it enough since it is going to be made into a movie? Reading it, I kept thinking it could be good as a film---that shouldn't be the kiss of death, should it? It's somewhat easier reading than I like---a little less lyrical, but still very well written. Characters are intriguing. It's honest and shows how damaged people can be but also is hopeful that people can save themselves and each other. It's about a woman whose marriage ends and she returns to her hometown to help the best teacher she ever had in high school---who experienced a horrible crisis years earlier. While I don't think anyone will think it's the best book they ever read, I think it may be worth a read----it's just what I could have used after A Little Life since it is easier reading and more optimistic even while acknowledging that people do some hurtful things to each other.
Love May Fail is on my wish list. Just a couple of days ago it wasn't released here yet so I will have to check to see if it is now. I love the title - to me it says, Love may fail - love anyway.

With A Little Life it feels like three years of my life went by that I can never get back. I read somewhere that the author said that she set out to make the good characters, very, very good, and the bad characters, very, very bad and that they weren't meant to reflect real life but I can't seem to find that interview anywhere.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:39 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Read the 5-star Amish suspense~ Vanish In Plain Sight by Marta Perry
DH was telling me I should read the Amish story he told me about earlier (which I've forgotten and he cannot recall the title!) and on the off chance it was this one I added it to my TRL. I put a hold on the first in the series. This is the second. I don't know what it says about me, but I seem now to need to read series in sequence. (I wonder if I am becoming anal, or I always have been and just didn't know it.)

"Dead Water" was a dud for me. I just cannot stomach when female authors portray their male protagonists with musings that are so "female." I know what I am saying could get some hackles up and I don't mean to be sexist; I've just never met a man -- and let me say I have had the good fortune to have met many from a vast diverse selection, and NOT one has ever gone on and on musing about non-sexual, romantic memories. Flashes of ardent attractions maybe, but not protracted stories of hearts and flowers with butterflies and birdsongs.

And, no, Ann Cleeves didn't EXACTLY do this in her first chapter, but she did certainly have her widower wax poetic much more than would be authentic even for a lost love.

Rant over.

It is good that the library is waiting for me with "The Uncommon Reader."

Old 07-01-2015, 12:22 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
DH was telling me I should read the Amish story he told me about earlier (which I've forgotten and he cannot recall the title!) and on the off chance it was this one I added it to my TRL. I put a hold on the first in the series. This is the second. I don't know what it says about me, but I seem now to need to read series in sequence. (I wonder if I am becoming anal, or I always have been and just didn't know it.)

"Dead Water" was a dud for me. I just cannot stomach when female authors portray their male protagonists with musings that are so "female." I know what I am saying could get some hackles up and I don't mean to be sexist; I've just never met a man -- and let me say I have had the good fortune to have met many from a vast diverse selection, and NOT one has ever gone on and on musing about non-sexual, romantic memories. Flashes of ardent attractions maybe, but not protracted stories of hearts and flowers with butterflies and birdsongs.

And, no, Ann Cleeves didn't EXACTLY do this in her first chapter, but she did certainly have her widower wax poetic much more than would be authentic even for a lost love.

Rant over.

It is good that the library is waiting for me with "The Uncommon Reader."

I was very happy with all 3 books in the Amish- Plain Sight series,and I always try to read a series in order,lol!

I already gave up on The Roswell Conspiracy:Tyler Locke 3 (An International Thriller) by Boyd Morrison cannot stand books that each chapter is a different scenario with alternating characters! So, now I will try Phantoms by Dean Koontz.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:40 PM

417 posts, read 454,971 times
Originally Posted by Zenstyle
Service and Style: How the American Department Store Fashioned the Middle Class on my Kindle

This is my kind of book, will have to check because I suspect I may have read it.
There's a really interesting book-about malls and marketing -- The Call of the Mall- by Paco Underhill.
He is a real expert on store design and such - very interesting.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:25 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I finished We Are Not Ourselves yesterday and I thought it was a very good book. Here is my review:
Yes this is a long book that some will find boring. It is not action packed but neither is real life. The story is about Eileen and her family. She is born in 1941 and takes us to 2011. As for Eileen and her family, like all people, they have flaws. I liked them sometimes and disliked them other times. It really started to hold my interest when her husband's personality started changing. It turns out he has early onset Alzheimer's. From then on the book takes you thorough the "everyday" of having and living with someone who has Alzheimer's. It was enlightening and heartbreaking at the same time. It also showed one woman's strength and the love she has for her husband. It was a very good read.

Thank you Dawn

I started and finished The Pines yesterday which was a quick read that took me by surprise.
"Secret service agent Ethan Burke arrives in Wayward Pines, Idaho, with a clear mission: locate and recover two federal agents who went missing in the bucolic town one month earlier. But within minutes of his arrival, Ethan is involved in a violent accident. He comes to in a hospital, with no ID, no cell phone, and no briefcase. The medical staff seems friendly enough, but something feels…off. As the days pass, Ethan’s investigation into the disappearance of his colleagues turns up more questions than answers. Why can’t he get any phone calls through to his wife and son in the outside world? Why doesn’t anyone believe he is who he says he is? And what is the purpose of the electrified fences surrounding the town? Are they meant to keep the residents in? Or something else out? Each step closer to the truth takes Ethan further from the world he thought he knew, from the man he thought he was, until he must face a horrifying fact—he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive."

Now I am reading The Woods by Harlan Coben for a group read. So far it is very good.

Ooh…I won a copy of The Truth According To Us. I should receive it soon.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:58 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7
I started and finished The Pines yesterday which was a quick read that took me by surprise.
"Secret service agent Ethan Burke arrives in Wayward Pines, Idaho, with a clear mission: locate and recover two federal agents who went missing in the bucolic town one month earlier. But within minutes of his arrival, Ethan is involved in a violent accident. He comes to in a hospital, with no ID, no cell phone, and no briefcase. The medical staff seems friendly enough, but something feels…off. As the days pass, Ethan’s investigation into the disappearance of his colleagues turns up more questions than answers. Why can’t he get any phone calls through to his wife and son in the outside world? Why doesn’t anyone believe he is who he says he is? And what is the purpose of the electrified fences surrounding the town? Are they meant to keep the residents in? Or something else out? Each step closer to the truth takes Ethan further from the world he thought he knew, from the man he thought he was, until he must face a horrifying fact—he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive."
Fox is running a 10-episode mini-series based on the trilogy of the Wayward Pines books.My daughter in TN and I love it! I want to read the books when it is over,so far those who have read them say the TV series is keeping very close to the books.

I stopped reading Phantoms by Dean Koontz when it included the murder of a child and gruesome descriptions! Will try Tick Tock by him, next.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 07-02-2015 at 06:21 AM..

Old 07-02-2015, 06:42 AM

414 posts, read 911,190 times
Golden State by Stephanie Kegan. Another quick read, about love, family loyalty. Interesting.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:12 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I finished We Are Not Ourselves yesterday and I thought it was a very good book.
YoungLisa, I finished We Are Not Ourselves yesterday as well! I agree with your review - the beauty of the book was it's normalcy. Eileen, the wife, and Connell, the son, seemed very genuine in how they interacted as family members and dealt with Ed's Alzheimer's Disease. It spite of it's length, the book moved along at a comfortable pace without dragging or feeling rushed. I'm a bit sad today - not sure if that is because I'm missing the Learys or if the general subject matter has pushed me into a more introspective space.

I need to do some thinking about what book to pick up next.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:28 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
I'm about 1/4 of the way through The Skeleton Road by Val McDermid and enjoying it very much. I opted to buy her first novel, written way back in 1987. It will be interesting to see if her writing was as good at the start of her career. If it's anywhere near as good I've got a whole new batch of books (27) to look forward to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books