Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 05:16 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times

Advertisements

Thanks Holly-Kay! and to each one of you as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 05:41 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I started Stern Men by Elizabeth Gilbert last night. I think several of you rad it months ago, but I'm just getting to it. So far, so good, but the best part is that I'm reading it on my new Kindle Paperwhite which I am loving. Now I can read at night without having the light on!!!
And you can read it in broad daylight while lounging in the pool too!

Old 07-03-2015, 08:46 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
... because I bought it, dammit....
That would be a good title for a thread on this forum!

I'll start -
1. The Girl on the Train
2. The Interestings

and many, many more.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:50 PM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 4 days ago)

436 posts, read 195,732 times
Searching for Paradise in Parker, PA by Kris Radish

Old 07-04-2015, 12:04 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
I am reading Forever by Pete Hamill and enjoying it very much.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:51 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Happy 4th of July…stay safe

Yesterday I started Merchants of Doubt This is a heavy book with a lot of facts and proof to back it up. It shows how businesses and/or our government hire scientists to cause doubt in proven theories. It is then sold to the American public as fact. So far I have read about RJ Reynolds and how cigarettes "don't" cause cancer, and also George H W Bush working for Ronald Reagan and their SDI program which cost the US $60 billion on lies. Interesting read about how we are duped into believing lies. I can't wait to read more but it is very slow. I need to absorb a lot of names and information.

Last edited by ylisa7; 07-04-2015 at 06:37 AM..

Old 07-04-2015, 06:33 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I started Bettyville last night. I read one and a half chapters. I hated it. I read a few of the bad reviews and realized that I wasn't going to change my mind -- I already agreed with those reviewers. So that one's not happening.
What didn't you like about it, Dawn? It's still on my queue---and I was thinking about attending his lecture at the book festival, but may need to rethink this, depending on your answer....it all rests upon you now...a big responsibility, but I know you can handle it!

Old 07-04-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
I started Bettyville last night. I read one and a half chapters. I hated it. I read a few of the bad reviews and realized that I wasn't going to change my mind -- I already agreed with those reviewers. So that one's not happening.

I'm reading The Seven Good Years: A Memoir by Etgar Keret. It's not so much a memoir as it is stories that form a kind-of sort-of memoir. More like a slice of life, too, since it only covers a few years. I don't like short stories, but because all the characters are the pretty much the same -- his family -- it's cohesive. And funny as hell. It'll be a quick and enjoyable-enough read.

That's too bad. Bettyville looked good.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:41 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Hahaha! So good, so right.
Whew! I had visions of you laid out with a lily, surrounded by unread books. It was insufferable! [Very, very bad.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I will be starting something today
The way you so industrious it might be more than one something! (Forever in awe of your many, varied accomplishments.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I want to wish all my book forum friends a happy and safe Independence Day!!! Hopefully more time for our reading pleasures.
You are so sweet, HK. I am so glad you are here. You be safe and happy, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Yesterday I started Merchants of Doubt This is a heavy book with a lot of facts and proof to back it up. It shows how businesses and/or our government hire scientists to cause doubt in proven theories. It is then sold to the American public as fact. So far I have read about RJ Reynolds and how cigarettes "don't" cause cancer, and also George H W Bush working for Ronald Reagan and their SDI program which cost the US $60 billion on lies. Interesting read. I can't wait to read more but it is very slow. I need to absorb a lot of names and information.
If you finish reading it, you may wish you had not. I found once I starting investigating things that didn't make sense and learning that it isn't just our markets that are influenced, but a justification for even darker acts here and across the globe ... well, let's just say it turned my perspective of the flag, patriotism, etc to a different plane. ;(

Old 07-04-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
The way you so industrious it might be more than one something! (Forever in awe of your many, varied accomplishments.)

Aww thank you. That is very sweet.

If you finish reading it, you may wish you had not. I found once I starting investigating things that didn't make sense and learning that it isn't just our markets that are influenced, but a justification for even darker acts here and across the globe ... well, let's just say it turned my perspective of the flag, patriotism, etc to a different plane. ;(

I hear you but I am already there as I am a true skeptic of anything I am told. I often wonder why more poeple aren't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books