Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 05:24 PM

496 posts, read 395,293 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading The Plum Tree. I enjoyed it but I need a break from reading WWII books for a bit. I feel that our world is in such a fragile state that I need a "feel good" read to clear my palate of the taste of too much reality.

In the acknowledgements the author mentioned both The Book Thief and Sarah's Key, both books that I've read and enjoyed. If WWII stories are your cup of tea this is a TR book.

I am looking forward to starting a new book tonight I just need to look for something lighthearted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 05:29 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
I'm struggling through Perdido River Bastard. I'm one of those people who think if she keeps reading it will magically become clear. Not holding out much hope for this dog.

If anyone has read it, can you tell me if I should stop now? (Half done)

Old 07-05-2015, 05:36 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post

I am looking forward to starting a new book tonight I just need to look for something lighthearted.
I feel like a pusher: Florence Gordon (Brian Morton) or The Girls (Lori Lansens).

Okay, neither of them is particularly lighthearted, but they are both so good (in different ways) and have have some humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I'm struggling through Perdido River Bastard. I'm one of those people who think if she keeps reading it will magically become clear. Not holding out much hope for this dog.

If anyone has read it, can you tell me if I should stop now? (Half done)
I never read it. I never even heard of it. But if you're not enjoying it, cut your losses and move on.

*waves magic permission wand*

Old 07-05-2015, 05:42 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
I am about halfway through The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo and on deck I have: Counterfeit Gods by Timothy Keller and Somebody to Love by Kristan Higgins.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:13 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
Hyperion by Dan Simmons. So far it is one of the most imaginative books I have ever read with a dense plot that moves right along nicely.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:37 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I finished The Truth According To Us. It took me a while to finish it and I'm not sure why. It didn't call to me like some others have but I truly enjoyed it. My favorite character was Jottie. She must have been born strong and her strength was powerful and carried through for others. There is much depth in this book and it's in the characters.

I like this author, Annie Barrows. Her book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is one of my all time favorites. I expected excellence in this latest book and she delivered.

Next up is The Plum Tree by Ellen Marie Wiseman.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:56 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished The Truth According To Us. It took me a while to finish it and I'm not sure why. It didn't call to me like some others have but I truly enjoyed it. My favorite character was Jottie. She must have been born strong and her strength was powerful and carried through for others. There is much depth in this book and it's in the characters.

I like this author, Annie Barrows. Her book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is one of my all time favorites. I expected excellence in this latest book and she delivered.

I'm happy that you enjoyed it. I would have thought that you'd tear through it -- you never fail to surprise me, you lover of zombies.

You know what I like about Annie Barrows? She's a thoughtful author.

In Guernsey, which was all letters, she did something that solved a big problem for me. Whenever a book is comprised entirely of -- or features -- letters, when one begins, I always have to flip to the end of it to see who it's from, then go back to the beginning of it to read the letter. She put From: To: before each and every letter.

In TTATU, she set a perfect pace. It was slow (not laborious or heavy; simply relaxed), just like the humid weather in the story.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:12 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I am about halfway through The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo and on deck I have: Counterfeit Gods by Timothy Keller and Somebody to Love by Kristan Higgins.
I am moving up on the reserve list for the life changing magic- which I hear is really very good. I am so looking forward to it.

Ketabcha- glad you enjoyed. I did too (but I still thought Guernsey was better)- I think she is a great writer.

I started Confederacy of Dunces- super enjoying it. Only about 1/3 way through.

(and still thinking about queenie hennesy and so cannot wait for you all to read it and be blown away)

Old 07-05-2015, 07:56 PM

496 posts, read 395,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

I just finished TPT earlier this evening. Enjoy!

Old 07-05-2015, 08:10 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,128,844 times
Failure! It had to happen after Florence Gordon and Life Drawing----my run couldn't continue.

Folded Clock by Heidi Julavits. Got rave reviews. It's a type of adult diary---supposedly meditations on time et al. Boring, rambling, trivial while trying to be profound. No way.

Dawn, Judi Dench could be a possibility for our casting of FG. But open to other possibilities as well....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books