Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 08:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Failure! It had to happen after Florence Gordon and Life Drawing----my run couldn't continue.

Folded Clock by Heidi Julavits. Got rave reviews. It's a type of adult diary---supposedly meditations on time et al. Boring, rambling, trivial while trying to be profound. No way.

Dawn, Judi Dench could be a possibility for our casting of FG. But open to other possibilities as well....
Omigod, I *hated* The Folded Clock. Well, I hated what I read of it, which was maybe the first 30 or 40 pages. I was so done at that point.

Elaine Stritch is dead, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 08:21 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Holly-Kay and Ketabcha: I'd never heard of The Plum Tree, so I I went to look it up. I won't read it -- I don't read Holocaust stories -- but I did happen to notice another by the same author that sounds interesting. Have you read What She Left Behind? I put it on my "to read" list. (Of course I did.)

Amazon.com: what she left behind ellen marie wiseman: Kindle Store

Old 07-05-2015, 09:35 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Holly-Kay and Ketabcha: I'd never heard of The Plum Tree, so I I went to look it up. I won't read it -- I don't read Holocaust stories -- but I did happen to notice another by the same author that sounds interesting. Have you read What She Left Behind? I put it on my "to read" list. (Of course I did.)

I wasn't going to mention The Plum Tree to you, Dawn. I knew it would not be a "safe" read for you.

What She Left Behind appears to be right up my alley. I've put The Plum Tree aside for a few days to read The Ruth Valley Missing. No zombies. In fact I think I have aged out of zombies even though it appears they are right down the road in Austin.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:22 AM

15 posts, read 12,839 times
I like science-fiction novels.
Jules Verne is my favourite author.
I love "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and "Captain Grant’s Children" best.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I just finished reading The Plum Tree. I enjoyed it but I need a break from reading WWII books for a bit. I feel that our world is in such a fragile state that I need a "feel good" read to clear my palate of the taste of too much reality.

In the acknowledgements the author mentioned both The Book Thief and Sarah's Key, both books that I've read and enjoyed. If WWII stories are your cup of tea this is a TR book.

I am looking forward to starting a new book tonight I just need to look for something lighthearted.
I read all three and also thought they were good.

Hmm…feel good huh? I will need one of those soon. So many of my books lately have been heavy or at least very sad topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished The Truth According To Us. It took me a while to finish it and I'm not sure why. It didn't call to me like some others have but I truly enjoyed it. My favorite character was Jottie. She must have been born strong and her strength was powerful and carried through for others. There is much depth in this book and it's in the characters.

I like this author, Annie Barrows. Her book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is one of my all time favorites. I expected excellence in this latest book and she delivered.

Next up is The Plum Tree by Ellen Marie Wiseman.
That's good to know. I should be getting TTATU in the mail soon. I don't expect it t beat Guernsey. I loved that book.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

Thanks…that one looks good.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
As a former evangelical Christian,now a non-believer,I was afraid to read anything by Hitchens as I had read in Amazon reviews of his books that he can be quite harsh,have you found him to be so?

Anyway,I chickened out and chose ~Why I Believed: Reflections of a Former Missionary by Kenneth W. Daniels

This is a story of a true Christian who believed for nearly three decades, having grown up the son of evangelical missionary parents, later becoming a missionary himself. Yet he slowly lost his faith and now no longer holds it.

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Believed-R...Why+I+Believed

I chose it because I too became a non-believer after decades of what I now consider 'self-delusion',except for his parent's being missionaries,and himself becoming one,our stories of discovering truth,are so similar. I also know that many,many,missionaries lose their faith while on the mission field and churches must constantly recruit new ones.

Others that are my favorites are~Farewell to God: My Reasons for Rejecting the Christian Faith by Charles Templeton If you don't know the name of Charles Templeton .... before Billy Graham became a famous evangelist,there was Charles Templeton. Billy became an associate and close friend,and they remained life-long friends,even after Charles left the faith.

Farewell to God: My Reasons for Rejecting the Christian Faith: Charles Templeton: 9780771085086: Amazon.com: Books

Also love~Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel C. Dennett Breaking the spell did an awesome job of showing the similarities of religion to mythology and superstition,in easy to understand language,and that is where I found the greatest enlightenment and value.

Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon: Daniel C. Dennett: 9780143038337: Amazon.com: Books

The Book Your Church Doesn't Want You to Read by Tim C. Leedom
Makes so very clear the 'Mythology' of Christianity in easy to understand language
The Book your Church Doesn't Want You to Read so easily shows how 'all' religions evolved from paganism, mythology, superstition,and man's 'fear of death'.

The Book Your Church Doesn't Want You to Read: Tim C. Leedom: 9780939040155: Amazon.com: Books

Society Without God: What the Least Religious Nations Can Tell Us about Contentment by Phil Zuckerman

Totally fascinating look at how the citizens of some secular non religious countries,especially the Scandinavian ones have the highest quality of life on this planet.

The author focused mostly on Denmark and Sweden.They have a welfare state with free healthcare, virtually no poverty, low crime rate, and some of the least disparity between the rich and poor.

Life there is certainly nothing like how religious leaders like Pat Robertson,and Jerry Falwell said a society without God would be like!

Society without God: What the Least Religious Nations Can Tell Us About Contentment: Phil Zuckerman: 9780814797143: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks for all of those. I like learning about religions and beliefs. Have you read any good Latter Day Saints books?

Old 07-06-2015, 06:18 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Yeah…we need to beware of China. They are a smart people. As my DH says…slow and steady like the turtle.
I just saw something on a news show about this island. There was a reporter in a US Military plane trying to fly over it to look at it and they warned them that they were flying in Chinese military airspace and threatened them multiple times. Very, very serious business that island. Very smart people.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:25 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Finished The Truth According To Us last night and loved it. Will be starting The Stranger by Harlan Coben this evening.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:27 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I am currently reading Stern Men by Elizabeth Gilbert and enjoying it way too much. Too much, meaning I'd rather be reading than working!

Y'all have been very busy lately because in the past three days, I've added six books to my TBR list from this forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books