Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 09:16 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Finished The Truth According To Us last night and loved it. Will be starting The Stranger by Harlan Coben this evening.
I am "still" on my library's wait list for The stranger. I hope it is worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I am currently reading Stern Men by Elizabeth Gilbert and enjoying it way too much. Too much, meaning I'd rather be reading than working!

Y'all have been very busy lately because in the past three days, I've added six books to my TBR list from this forum!
I always add more to my list

Here's another one I found out about today. It is a second book in a series but I'm not sure if you need to read the first one or not.

The Story of a New Name by Elena Ferrante

"The second book, following last year’s My Brilliant Friend, featuring the two friends Lila and Elena. The two protagonists are now in their twenties. Marriage appears to have imprisoned Lila. Meanwhile, Elena continues her journey of self-discovery. The two young women share a complex and evolving bond that brings them close at times, and drives them apart at others. Each vacillates between hurtful disregard and profound love for the other. With this complicated and meticulously portrayed friendship at the center of their emotional lives, the two girls mature into women, paying the cruel price that this passage exacts."

http://www.amazon.com/Story-New-Name...elena+ferrante
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 02:40 PM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Holly-Kay and Ketabcha: I'd never heard of The Plum Tree, so I I went to look it up. I won't read it -- I don't read Holocaust stories -- but I did happen to notice another by the same author that sounds interesting. Have you read What She Left Behind? I put it on my "to read" list. (Of course I did.)

Amazon.com: what she left behind ellen marie wiseman: Kindle Store
I saw that one also and may read it. TPT left me feeling rather depressed

I started "Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen" last evening. It's funny, a Fannie Flagg wannabe and not quite as entertaining as FF but a nice relief from the heavier material of TPT.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:47 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I saw that one also and may read it. TPT left me feeling rather depressed

I started "Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen" last evening. It's funny, a Fannie Flagg wannabe and not quite as entertaining as FF but a nice relief from the heavier material of TPT.
Let's do all our posts in acronyms.

LDAOPIA.

It'll keep the riffraff away.

IKTRA.

PS. I edit technical material for a high-tech company whose name you all know. Every day is like swimming in alphabet soup. They love their acronyms! TLTA!

Old 07-06-2015, 03:38 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Let's do all our posts in acronyms.

LDAOPIA.

It'll keep the riffraff away.

IKTRA.

PS. I edit technical material for a high-tech company whose name you all know. Every day is like swimming in alphabet soup. They love their acronyms! TLTA!
I thought everyone already was. I don't know what books people are talking about half the time.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I thought everyone already was. I don't know what books people are talking about half the time.
Me neither! And I've read some of them.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:46 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I finished The Ruth Valley Missing by Amber West. It was a fast read (one day) and I enjoyed it.

Then I started The Plum Tree by Ellen Marie Wiseman. I was having flashbacks until I realized I had already read the first two chapters a week or so ago.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:36 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Henry Hitchings' The Language Wars: A History of Proper English - one of the best books on language that I've read in some time. Highly recommended!

Old 07-06-2015, 07:11 PM

Today was one of those days. You know what kind I'm talking about -- one of those days. It's 9:06 p.m., I'm exhausted from work, I don't have a book going but I have a lot of them coming in soon, I want to read but I don't want to read (c'mon, you know exactly what I'm talking about), and I'm so tightly wound up right now -- I feel every nerve ending tingling, I swear -- that I need some smooth talking to relax me. I need smooth talking in a short book.

I think it was phonelady that always talked this one up. I bought The Pecan Man. It's less than 150 pages. The first few pages that I read in the sample were calming and maybe, just maybe, I can gather up some more concentration and read a bit tonight. Maybe not. I'll try, though. Otherwise, I'm guessing that tomorrow will be another one of those days, so...

Old 07-07-2015, 04:35 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Yes, yes I was and I liked it so much Im still looking for a cheap copy of it . I wont pay an arm and a leg for it LOL . Yes I am a firm believer in paying less for used things . I don't like paying new prices for used books .I do think you will like it Dawn.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:52 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Finished the AWESOME~ Tsunami Storm by David Capps my review....
Wow,this was another great Kindle Freebie on 6/10/15,well worth the $4.99 it is today!

I had read two nonfiction books about our goverment and the HAAARP
technology...Angels Don't Play This Haarp: Advances in Tesla Technology by Nick Begich, Haarp: The Ultimate Weapon of the Conspiracy (The Mind-Control Conspiracy Series) by Jerry E. Smith, and I totally believe that the HAARP technology is responsible for the many recent unnatural and freak weather events around the globe.

Also the nonfiction~ Full-Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest by Sandi Doughton,which explains about the earthquake 'subduction zone in that area.

Plus watched~http://www.conspiracytheoryjesseventu...# so I was very excited to read this book,and I was not disappointed.It was an excellent,and gripping read.Very timely and plausible.

I was very pleased with this author's skill at pulling me into the story,and how much he made me care about the characters.

Since the first several chapters are the set up,I really had my doubts as to whether I would be able to keep all the characters and locales straight,but then suddenly everything came together,and the flow was smooth as silk,even though fast-paced.It surprised me how easy it was.

Lots of action,tension,and a great story.

Can't wait to read another by this author to see if his skill is consistent.I wish him success in his writing,because I thoroughly enjoyed reading such a thriller without the profanity,graphic sex,and gruesome gore that keeps me from enjoying too many authors.

Highly recommended!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books