Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 07:47 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

I finished "The Uncommon Reader" a couple of days ago. I liked the beginning best, after they ditched Norman it started losing the magic for me, too. I don't know why.

Dawn: IDKW

(I worked for a Boeing supplier from '90-'96 and their entire meetings are conducted in TLAs or FLAs. So confused the first week I begged for a corporate wide cheat sheet for newbies!)

Started listening to "When the Bough Breaks" but after the first few minutes of despicably graphic descriptions of mutilations I ran to the player to turn it off. I cannot even imagine writing that, let along spending time reading or listening!

Finally landed on "The Silkworm" by Robert Galbraith (Pseudonym for J.K. Rowling), and aside from the new knowledge that silkworms are BOILED to obtain the silk -- how ghastly! -- it is a good story to listen to as I cut, sew, and design my current quilt top in progress. The protagonist sort of reminds me of Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole, and since I am down to the last in that series this could be a nice beginning to a new adventure in reading.

Started reading "A Conspiracy of Faith" by Jussi Adler-Olsen, as translated by Martin Aitken, yesterday morning. I've only made it as far as the second chapter, so too soon to say. So far, so good.

Hope you are into the start of a great week and the rest is smooth sailing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 08:29 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Dawn: IDKW

(I worked for a Boeing supplier from '90-'96 and their entire meetings are conducted in TLAs or FLAs. So confused the first week I begged for a corporate wide cheat sheet for newbies!)
Snort!!! Thanks for making me giggle, laugh, and guffaw.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:54 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
Hi, new to this thread...thought I'd post about a book I didn't intend to read but did. I borrowed a Kindle from my public library to see how it feels reading from one. One of the free books offered is A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France by Caroline Moorehead. After opening the first chapter, I was transfixed reading it. I think the most amazing true story I've ever read, though some facts (not about the women themselves) in it are disputed. Homebound with an injured foot, I didn't put it down till nearly finished. Has anyone else read this and what do you think?

Old 07-07-2015, 12:36 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Default i just wanted to say welcome newenglandgirl I hope you will stick around

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Hi, new to this thread...thought I'd post about a book I didn't intend to read but did. I borrowed a Kindle from my public library to see how it feels reading from one. One of the free books offered is A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France by Caroline Moorehead. After opening the first chapter, I was transfixed reading it. I think the most amazing true story I've ever read, though some facts (not about the women themselves) in it are disputed. Homebound with an injured foot, I didn't put it down till nearly finished. Has anyone else read this and what do you think?

welcome hope you will stay Iam the crazy Phonelady61 known to post about really good books and really poor ones as well.. LOL .

Old 07-07-2015, 03:49 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Won a first reads book giveaway at goodreads and just received it! Secret Of Blackjack Woods by Ashlen Brown.
Sounds like a YA Bigfoot book,and since I love forests,and the unexplained,should be fun to read.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Three of the books on my "to read" list were released today. The one that I was most curious about -- Among the Ten Thousand Things -- had gotten terrible reviews on Amazon by some readers who received pre-published galleys and those negatives kept piling up today. I got more curious and, even though I don't read reviews, I read some of them on Amazon and on Goodreads (I'm not a member there).

Someone wrote some advice -- and you know it's great advice when it's written in ALL-CAPS -- and I'm going to do this when I get around to reading the book:

Quote:
WARNING DO NOT READ PART TWO AFTER PART ONE! SKIP TO PART THREE, READ THAT THEN GO BACK AND READ PART TWO AND THEN PART FOUR. Trust me, there is logic behind this advice.
In reading a few other reviews, it seems that others agreed with the above warning. The author skipped around in time and Part 2 is an "after" part, but the reader(s) found it to be too early for that -- they wanted more of the "before" part (Parts 1 and 3) before moving onto the "after" bits (Parts 2 and 4).

Old 07-08-2015, 04:42 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

Welcome You have found a great place to talk about books and also find new books to read. Lots of new books to read, lol.

Thank you for that recommendation. I added it to my "To Read" list. Sadly my library does not have it.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:49 AM

So I finished TSOG

The Sound of Glass by Karen White.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It started off with a mysterious plane crash in the 50's and continues through today. It is about the families involved, the abuse of the women(not graphic) in their marriages, and brings us to today. It is about letting it go and moving on. The protagonist, Merritt, has inherited a house in SC through her husband's family. She goes south to start a new life and to heal some old wounds. Also enters her southern stepmother who has quite a wide range of "wisdom", her half brother and her brother-in-law.

Now I am reading Now You See Me by S.J. Bolton. It is a new, to me, mystery series set in London. It is the first of the Lacey Flint series. This one is a copycat of Jack the Ripper. Heads up the murders are pretty gruesome. It is OK so far. I am interested to see how Lacey's character develops in future stories.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Won a first reads book giveaway at goodreads and just received it! Secret Of Blackjack Woods by Ashlen Brown.
Sounds like a YA Bigfoot book,and since I love forests,and the unexplained,should be fun to read.

Yay. Congratulations. Isn't it exciting? It takes a lot of sign ups to win a book, lol.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Finished the AWESOME~ Tsunami Storm by David Capps my review....
Wow,this was another great Kindle Freebie on 6/10/15,well worth the $4.99 it is today!

I had read two nonfiction books about our goverment and the HAAARP
technology...Angels Don't Play This Haarp: Advances in Tesla Technology by Nick Begich, Haarp: The Ultimate Weapon of the Conspiracy (The Mind-Control Conspiracy Series) by Jerry E. Smith, and I totally believe that the HAARP technology is responsible for the many recent unnatural and freak weather events around the globe.

Also the nonfiction~ Full-Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest by Sandi Doughton,which explains about the earthquake 'subduction zone in that area.

Plus watched~http://www.conspiracytheoryjesseventu...# so I was very excited to read this book,and I was not disappointed.It was an excellent,and gripping read.Very timely and plausible.

I was very pleased with this author's skill at pulling me into the story,and how much he made me care about the characters.

Since the first several chapters are the set up,I really had my doubts as to whether I would be able to keep all the characters and locales straight,but then suddenly everything came together,and the flow was smooth as silk,even though fast-paced.It surprised me how easy it was.

Lots of action,tension,and a great story.

Can't wait to read another by this author to see if his skill is consistent.I wish him success in his writing,because I thoroughly enjoyed reading such a thriller without the profanity,graphic sex,and gruesome gore that keeps me from enjoying too many authors.

Highly recommended!

I have added those to my list and I will now go on to research more about HAAARP. Thanks for that

BTW, your link did not work for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books